Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How do you grade the Patriots 2023 draft?

• A: Great

Votes: 45 23.2%
  • B: Solid but unspectacular

Votes: 90 46.4%
  • C: Meh it's Mid

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • D: Poor, BB has gone off the reservation again!

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • F: Someone walk me off the ledge, I'm about to jump!

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • RLKAG

Votes: 16 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Complaining about no running backs is pre-2020 thinking. LOOK across the league...look at Philly,Miles Sanders had the most rushing yards for the Eagles in 2022, with 1,269 yards.Eagles let him walk. Look at KC...they've been plugging in RB's that produce big numbers for the past four/five years. The league is now QB/WR/OL centric with the emphasis on PASSING. WE have a more than adequate RB in Ramondre...Pats can go UDFA to fill up any back-up RB slots they have penciled in.

They did great for the N E Patriots.
Big #1 Corner
Coverage LB/Blitzer/Spy/Baller
Solid DE/DT
Special Teams Overhaul
Stout IOL Depth/Replacement
WR Depth/Competition
A lot of pieces to build BBs idea of a TEAM with.

The 1st round was good. But it was also good for every other team except for Detroit. Things went generally downhill from there for Belichick. Hated the 3rd and 4th round picks.

Also with as deep as this draft was at TE, the Patriots drafted none, I don't get it. Darnell Washington was sitting there for them in the 3rd round too... big time steal by Pittsburgh getting him at 93.

Patriots roster looks like they'll be trying to win games in the teens. Looking at some the offenses they'll be playing (in the division alone), I don't see it working out.

Pre-and-post draft I have them winning 8 or 9 games (which is generous considering I have them going 2-4 in the division which is also probably generous).

The 1st round was good. But it was also good for every other team except for Detroit. Things went generally downhill from there for Belichick. Hated the 3rd and 4th round picks.

Also with as deep as this draft was at TE, the Patriots drafted none, I don't get it. Darnell Washington was sitting there for them in the 3rd round too... big time steal by Pittsburgh getting him at 93.

Patriots roster looks like they'll be trying to win games in the teens. Looking at some the offenses they'll be playing (in the division alone), I don't see it working out.

Pre-and-post draft I have them winning 8 or 9 games (which is generous considering I have them going 2-4 in the division which is also probably generous).
Your Ravens had a great draft though...ain't that right Stooljammer?

Initial reaction is a B. I I think they did a nice job rounds 4 through 7 trolling for talent. I feel like they missed out on some positional opportunities earlier in the draft but the players they drafted are ballers.

Overall: B+ or maybe A-

Gonzalez (CB): A+++ Consensus has already said it all.
White (DE): A improves an already strong front four.
Mapu (LB): B Good athlete at a position needing improvement (safety)
Andrews (C): B David Andrews is no longer dependable so a good pick to develop into his replacement
Ryland (K): A BPA @ position of need. Folk is 38 and started to decline last year.
Sow (G): B Former OT. 4 year starter.
Mafi (G): C Former DT. Developmental prospect.
Bouette (WR): C- Unlikely to stick. Ankle and head problems. High upside.
Baringer (P): A BPA @ position of need.
Douglas (WR): C Developmental prospect.
Speed (CB): C ST & fast DB developmental prospect.
Bolden (CB): C+ ST & fast DB developmental prospect.

I won’t sleep on Bolden as an under the radar CB prospect. If Gonzalez doesn’t have the hunger to be best ever he might find Bolden surprising him with a challenge for the same role. Speed could have an outside chance to challenge as well but Bolden seems the better athlete.

Saw a report that Sow moved from OT to G in 2019. Wonder if there’s any chance he’d be moved back?

I‘m not as alarmed as most about OT. First, I think the OC cluster affected the OL more than is commonly recognized. So I expect hiring Klemm to be an immediate improvement across the entire line. In particular I think Trent Brown could have a bounce back season, and do as good a job at LT as he did during his first stint with the Pats. The FA signings definitely improve the OT talent on the roster. Adding three IOL players to the roster makes me expect at least one and likely two may be moved from G to OT. And there were several OL players on the PS that may have benefitted from a year of seasoning even in the 2022 mess. All of that gives Klemm a lot of material to work with. From what I understand OL is a position where unit cohesion is as important to success as individual talent, so I’m looking for Klemm to make great improvements using the talent we have on the roster. Time will tell if I’m right, or unrealistically optimistic.

At TE I guess Bill thinks he’s got his roster set and will worry about successors for next season when next year comes.

Sporting News not impressed, ranking us 29th. The good news is the JETE ranked 32nd.

29. New England Patriots
  • Grade: C-
Draft picks: CB Christian Gonzalez, DT Keion White, S Marte Mapu, C Jake Andrews, K Chad Ryland, G Sidy Sow, G Atonio Mafi, WR Kayshon Boutte, P Bryce Baringer, WR Demario Douglas, CB Ameer Speed, CB Isaiah Bolden
Analysis: The Patriots hit Gonzalez out of the park and also got their ideal defensive lineman in White. But then it was the typical "why?" and "who?" that's been the case of late under Bill Belichick, including too many offensive linemen, a kicker and a punter. At least Boutte keeps Day 3 from being a total repeat flameout.

I think they just didn't like the OTs beyond Johnson. They were not comfortable with Broderick at 14 and they just didn't like anyone afterwards very much. Not saying they hated all the other OTs and thought they're all trash, just not worth a forced investment.

Third rounder was a bit of a head scratcher, we have at least 3 of him on the roster for cheap, not exactly the hardest guys to find.

Fourth round onwards I'm not nitpicking, if one guy can play out of the lot, that's a win regardless of position--and it looks like they can realistically get multiple hits this time, so I'll take it.

Went with a B overall grade based off of RAS.

RAS (0-10): Link below for those unaware of what it is and links on each player to their score.
- What is a Relative Athletic Score? What to know about ...Sporting Newshttps://www.sportingnews.com › nfl › news › relative-...

Christian Gonzalez- 9.99 (A+)- Stud at 20 yrs old. Will only get better.
Kevin White- 9.92 - (B+/A-)Feel like 285 is pretty solid. Potentially opens up insane formation versatility, slight dislike depth at position.
Marte Mapu- N/A. (B-) For competition faced and depth at box safety. Otherwise would grade it higher.
Jake Andrews-7.74 (B-)Only score that ideally would've been better is the shuttle. Not sure why D.Jones slipped but would've preferred him here.
Chad Ryland- N/A :mad:. F score
Sidy Sow- 9.93 - (B+) I dig it. Future starter imo.
Antonio Mafi- N/A meh
Kayshon Boutte- (C) 4.95- Low risk, high potential reward. Likes: football iq/awareness. Dislikes: body catches, testing. F it.
Bryce Baringer- N/A
Demario Douglass- 7.32- (A-) LOVE THIS.Not worried about the size. Likes:catches with hands shifty. Bigger program, shuttle & cone= day 2 guy.
Ameer Speed- 8.86 - (B) 4.34 40 at 6'3 210. Special teams impact with positional upside. Took snaps at CB and Safety.
Isaiah Bolden- 9.43 (B-) 4.33 40 at 6'2 200- Special teams impact with positional upside.

Average RAS of qualified players= 8.52

I feel the Pats develop three positions very well: Corner, OL, LB

Depth at IOL allows us to move Onwenu if we find ourselves in a position of having to. Feel that the Pats were comfortable with the depth at T that they brought in. Flexibility and camp battles are good.

Secondary- Not sure who will step up at FS but think there's enough candidates to feel optimistic. I'm a Jack Jones fan and think he could be an elite 2, if he is in any dog house I hope he figures it out... Speed and Bolden could pose a threat.

Extra: Bill O'Brien- Hoss Juke. Interesting to see how he values positional values in empty concepts and mentally aligning our current roster.

Last edited:
Overall: B+ or maybe A-

Gonzalez (CB): A+++ Consensus has already said it all.
White (DE): A improves an already strong front four.
Mapu (LB): B Good athlete at a position needing improvement (safety)
Andrews (C): B David Andrews is no longer dependable so a good pick to develop into his replacement
Ryland (K): A BPA @ position of need. Folk is 38 and started to decline last year.
Sow (G): B Former OT. 4 year starter.
Mafi (G): C Former DT. Developmental prospect.
Bouette (WR): C- Unlikely to stick. Ankle and head problems. High upside.
Baringer (P): A BPA @ position of need.
Douglas (WR): C Developmental prospect.
Speed (CB): C ST & fast DB developmental prospect.
Bolden (CB): C+ ST & fast DB developmental prospect.

I won’t sleep on Bolden as an under the radar CB prospect. If Gonzalez doesn’t have the hunger to be best ever he might find Bolden surprising him with a challenge for the same role. Speed could have an outside chance to challenge as well but Bolden seems the better athlete.

Saw a report that Sow moved from OT to G in 2019. Wonder if there’s any chance he’d be moved back?

I‘m not as alarmed as most about OT. First, I think the OC cluster affected the OL more than is commonly recognized. So I expect hiring Klemm to be an immediate improvement across the entire line. In particular I think Trent Brown could have a bounce back season, and do as good a job at LT as he did during his first stint with the Pats. The FA signings definitely improve the OT talent on the roster. Adding three IOL players to the roster makes me expect at least one and likely two may be moved from G to OT. And there were several OL players on the PS that may have benefitted from a year of seasoning even in the 2022 mess. All of that gives Klemm a lot of material to work with. From what I understand OL is a position where unit cohesion is as important to success as individual talent, so I’m looking for Klemm to make great improvements using the talent we have on the roster. Time will tell if I’m right, or unrealistically optimistic.

At TE I guess Bill thinks he’s got his roster set and will worry about successors for next season when next year comes.
I read your analysis. I suggest that you consider more weight to the players likely to make the team, through the 4th round plus the kicker and punter. That is SEVEN players, all with a grade of at least a B.

I agree with your rating except for Boutte. While I agree that he is unlikely to stick, I'd give the pick an A. This is Belichick at his best. Boutte could be a top contributor. He needs rehab and life coaching, but his FOOTBALL skills are unquestioned. To be clear, if he is healthy, I'd much rather have him on the 53 than having those with whom he is competing with for that spot, if it even exists.

I give it an incomplete, like I would pretty much any draft right after it happened. I certainly am intrigued by these selections, though -- especially the cornerbacks.

For those criticizing failure to draft an OT: the Pats have several veterans on the roster, including Onwenu possibly playing tackle. I think one of the guards drafted also might have potential at tackle, but we'll see.

No problem at all with drafting the kicker and punter where they were taken. There likely were methods to the seeming madness none of us are aware of. Many shoes left to drop before anyone knows what these kids bring to the table and how the roster will look. Still some UDFAs coming in and possible veteran FA additions.

I give it an incomplete, like I would pretty much any draft right after it happened. I certainly am intrigued by these selections, though -- especially the cornerbacks.

For those criticizing failure to draft an OT: the Pats have several veterans on the roster, including Onwenu possibly playing tackle. I think one of the guards drafted also might have potential at tackle, but we'll see.

No problem at all with drafting the kicker and punter where they were taken. There likely were methods to the seeming madness none of us are aware of. Many shoes left to drop before anyone knows what these kids bring to the table and how the roster will look. Still some UDFAs coming in and possible veteran FA additions.
we'll know some things THIS season about a few of these players...I get the distinct feeling our special teams are going to be a quantum better than last season as will our interior O line.It's no secret that I despised the Strange pick last year but I really feel optimistic about these players we drafted inside this season.

I really can’t get behind that kicker pick. I just have no way to rationalize trading up for a guy that you don’t need to trade up for, let alone a kicker. He needs to beat out Folk in camp, win the job and be good otherwise I just see it as a total head scratcher. Might as well have taken a shot at an offensive skill player or tackle.

Not coming away with even a single rb, OT or TE is not good.
I agree on TE, especially since neither is signed beyond this year. I disagree on RB, as almost all of them are signed for next year. On OT, I'm willing to give Belichick the benefit of the doubt for now, since the situation is a lot more fluid.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back