PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting BB nuggets from Rapoport

Ross12

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score

“Owner Robert Kraft and head coach Bill Belichick still haven't met to discuss the future. Until they do, there will be more questions than answers about how this plays out, and there remains a scenario where Belichick returns to New England for a 25th season.

Belichick, 71, intends to coach in 2024. He's motivated to break Don Shula's all-time wins record. And with Kraft taking on a bigger role in recent years with decision-making within the football operations, such as last year's moves to bring back offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien and retain linebackers coach Jerod Mayo, Belichick has lost a level of control over how the building runs compared to when the team was winning six Super Bowls.

Kraft, 82, has consulted numerous people about how to move forward, with his stated hopes of a return to the playoffs in 2023 long gone amidst a 4-11 season. Kraft is also conscientious of how the Tom Brady situation played out and wants to make sure Belichick's exit, whenever it comes, is handled the right way, making a firing (as opposed to a "mutual parting") highly unlikely.

Could Kraft present a plan, including possible front-office additions/changes, that Belichick would accept? If not, would Kraft give Belichick permission to seek a trade? And is there a match out there for Belichick, who would need to find the right owner and roster situation to build things his way quickly?

If Belichick does move on, speculation has centered on Mayo as his successor. That's not a guarantee, though, and other options -- particular coaches with Patriots ties, such as Josh McDaniels or Vikings defensive coordinator Brian Flores -- shouldn't be ruled out.”

Sounds like Kraft softening on things a bit based on wording and the mentions of Kraft’s involvement in decision-making which takes some of the responsibility off of Bill. However, this is the first time I’ve seen McDaniels and Flores floated as replacement candidates from a connected source.

“Owner Robert Kraft and head coach Bill Belichick still haven't met to discuss the future. Until they do, there will be more questions than answers about how this plays out, and there remains a scenario where Belichick returns to New England for a 25th season.

Belichick, 71, intends to coach in 2024. He's motivated to break Don Shula's all-time wins record. And with Kraft taking on a bigger role in recent years with decision-making within the football operations, such as last year's moves to bring back offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien and retain linebackers coach Jerod Mayo, Belichick has lost a level of control over how the building runs compared to when the team was winning six Super Bowls.

Kraft, 82, has consulted numerous people about how to move forward, with his stated hopes of a return to the playoffs in 2023 long gone amidst a 4-11 season. Kraft is also conscientious of how the Tom Brady situation played out and wants to make sure Belichick's exit, whenever it comes, is handled the right way, making a firing (as opposed to a "mutual parting") highly unlikely.

Could Kraft present a plan, including possible front-office additions/changes, that Belichick would accept? If not, would Kraft give Belichick permission to seek a trade? And is there a match out there for Belichick, who would need to find the right owner and roster situation to build things his way quickly?

If Belichick does move on, speculation has centered on Mayo as his successor. That's not a guarantee, though, and other options -- particular coaches with Patriots ties, such as Josh McDaniels or Vikings defensive coordinator Brian Flores -- shouldn't be ruled out.”

Sounds like Kraft softening on things a bit based on wording and the mentions of Kraft’s involvement in decision-making which takes some of the responsibility off of Bill. However, this is the first time I’ve seen McDaniels and Flores floated as replacement candidates from a connected source.
If Kraft has been interfering in football operations, it seems BB would be looking for concessions from Kraft to stay, not the other way around.

Will we find out if Kraft was forcing BB to play Mac?

If so, that is a spectacular fail.

I read the whole thing and all I took out of it is there’s a possibility that McDaniels or Flo could become the next head coaches of the NEP. Are you ****ing kidding me? That has to be some posturing ********. If it’s not, and Kraft trades Bill just to bring in one of those retreads, he needs to step away. We’re talking about an opportunity to reset here. Loads of cap space and valuable draft capital. That’s the best names that can be float around? Damn. I was having a good night too. Might as well run it back with Belichick, or is that the plan all along? Make sure everyone thinks your only options are **** so it makes sense to bring Bill back.

If Kraft has been interfering in football operations, it seems BB would be looking for concessions from Kraft to stay, not the other way around.

That sort of truth will never come to light but I suspect it could be possible. It wouldn’t surprise me if increased meddling from ownership was having negative effects.

I wish this preposterous nonsense could be put to rest. There has never been a shred of evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, that Kraft suddenly is meddling in on-field decisions. He simply is not that kind of owner.

Mickey D next HC?

The only way is if Kraft has him on a short leash Jerry Jones style. Basically a puppet. Never work.

That sort of truth will never come to light but I suspect it could be possible. It wouldn’t surprise me if increased meddling from ownership was having negative effects.
I believe Kraft was a bigger Jones cheerleader than Rob.

I wish this preposterous nonsense could be put to rest. There has never been a shred of evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, that Kraft suddenly is meddling in on-field decisions. He simply is not that kind of owner.
OTOH Kraft has been increasingly vocal in public over the past several years, putting the screws to Bill to do better and get back to the playoffs. Seems likely to me he could also be more assertive behind the scenes, on things like which QB he wants to be the face of the franchise. There have been quite a few suggestions that he was backing Mac, so there may be anecdotal evidence there, depending on what you consider evidence.

thing is, nobody outside of Bill and Bob and Jonathan will really know how they interact. It’s not something any of them will be blabbing about. So I think they probably talk fairly often about important decisions like draft strategy and significant roster moves. I’m not saying Kraft would be meddling in on the field moves like substitutions and play calls, but it’s his money and I’m sure he carefully watches how it’s being spent. So I expect the tone of their conversations in private has undoubtedly changed just as Kraft’s public comments have become increasingly more impatient.

It would not surprise me if Kraft and Belichick had different views of the Brady departure. If Kraft started to sour on Bill as a result it’s going to continue to fester until Bill either leaves or hoists another Patriots’ Lombardi.

and if Kraft’s increased activism drives Bill out it does not bode well for whoever replaces Bill, because Bob will be the de facto executive head coach. Once he’s started micromanaging Bill no other HC has a chance of avoiding it. That will be a mess until Bob is out of the picture and Jonathan can start running everything. Hopefully he’ll be up to it.

Well, Terry Glenn....

But none that we know of since 2000...technically speaking, but the personnel structure had been like this: Kraft, Jonathan Kraft, Caserio. and BB. Then we added McDaniels to that group when he left the Colts at the altar (an example of Kraft getting involved). Then Caserio left....we promoted Groh and Wolf somewhat. Then we basically gave Mayo a bump in pay and hired BOB (another example of Kraft stepping in).

The man owns the team...just saying....

The article is purely speculative, and this is pretty much all you need to know..
"Owner Robert Kraft and head coach Bill Belichick still haven't met to discuss the future"

I don't know about meddling with Mac but there were rumors he's given more personnel power to Groh.

I really doubt that BK has just let BB sit on death row without addressing all the rumors of BB being run out of Boston.

They have discussed the future.

He used to be several decades ago. He learned his lesson and gave BB near-complete autonomy. I don't know where this whole 82 year old RK is now suddenly making on-field decisions for the team.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back