PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It is starting to feel like '07 again

Status
Not open for further replies.

2000army

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Retooling without Rebuilding

I think we are going to see some big moves in the next few days/weeks. Sad to see Wes go but DA is a suitable replacement.

We have enough money to trade for a big player or 2 and still sign some mid level FA's

My guess:
Trade for a big name WR
Mallett traded
2/3 DB's (incl Talib) + Safety picked up in FA
Vollmer, Edelman, Woodhead resign

It just got a bit more uphill. We were getting by with Welker being our big "threat," and no deep threat. Now we're looking to sign or have people step up into two WR roles, to fill out the wish list, or one very good WR to tread water. I like the Mike Wallace talk though.

The question is whether/when we'll be able to stop the other guys too (as always,) and then the intangibles (staying healthy, quality depth, etc.)

I'm as psyched as anybody for the next campaign, don't get me wrong. I'm just tired of everybody wanting to re-do 07 but with a happier ending. We're really spoiled.

Oh wait, we got Danny Amendola. All better. :rolleyes:

Actually it's starting to feel like '06.
That was the year Brady reworked his contract to "help" the team, Belichick refused to keep his winning WR corp (Givens, Branch out, Bug eyes Caldwell in) intact and the Patriots ended up losing to the Colts.
If Belichick doesn't blow up the WR corp that year the Patriots win the Super Bowl.
If Belichick re-signs Adam Vinatieri they beat the Giants in '07 SB.

It's funny how some people "marvel" at the Patriots personnel decision making.
I would argue they've screwed their own chance at a legit claim to a dynasty.

That was the year Brady reworked his contract to "help" the team, Belichick refused to keep his winning WR corp (Givens, Branch out, Bug eyes Caldwell in) intact and the Patriots ended up losing to the Colts.
If Belichick doesn't blow up the WR corp that year the Patriots win the Super Bowl.

The team was arguably two plays away from adding another 2 Superbowls. During that time, the team has managed to almost entirely overhaul that roster whilst remaining competitive. I sure as hell marvel at what the Patriots have been able to do. This sort of prolonged excellence is rare in the NFL and it happens because Belichick and Kraft have a plan and they stick to it.

The team was arguably two plays away from adding another 2 Superbowls. During that time, the team has managed to almost entirely overhaul that roster whilst remaining competitive. I sure as hell marvel at what the Patriots have been able to do. This sort of prolonged excellence is rare in the NFL and it happens because Belichick and Kraft have a plan and they stick to it.

It happens because number 12 is on the roster and they play in one of the weakest divisions in football. Kraft and Belichick have less to do with it than you proclaim.

Well, we still need a legit WR and D that can carry it's own weight

It happens because number 12 is on the roster and they play in one of the weakest divisions in football. Kraft and Belichick have less to do with it than you proclaim.
This is the response I was fishing for. The fact that Tom Brady is on the roster allows the Patriots to execute their plan. The division has slim to no bearing given their performances against other top line teams.

This is the response I was fishing for. The fact that Tom Brady is on the roster allows the Patriots to execute their plan. The division has slim to no bearing given their performances against other top line teams.

The division they play in gives them an easy road to the playoffs every single year. It allows them to pad their won/loss record and gain home field advantage in the playoffs.
Tom Brady on the roster allows them to execute what plan??? If Brady retires tomorrow are the Patriots even a playoff team??

Felt like 07 again to me before the new Brady deal.

Cap room, tough loss in the Championship game...time to bring in the players who will hopefully take the team over the top and bring in a Lombardi.

The people butt-hurt about Welker leaving should wait and see what BB & co have up their sleeves first.

The division they play in gives them an easy road to the playoffs every single year. It allows them to pad their won/loss record and gain home field advantage in the playoffs.
Tom Brady on the roster allows them to execute what plan??? If Brady retires tomorrow are the Patriots even a playoff team??

We have been to the superbowl before brady. And we had a playoff worthy record with Cassel. This is precisely why BB and Kraft spread the wealth, to be prepared in case brady gets injured again or retires. Not everyone is as lucky as the colts. We, along with the steelers and giants know about continued success and making tough decisions.

You really need some perspective.

Yes......they are.....it's the afc east

This feels like '07 because it's also after a disappointing AFC CG loss, and because a clearly frustrated Belichick again seems determined to make a major overhaul. But I also think that the coming overhaul will be an intentional departure from the '07 formula that he fell in love with for years.

After '07, Belichick seemed obsessed with winning with a video-game offense and a ragtag defense. But his teams lacked toughness and came up small in the playoffs -- particularly the offense. The Pats' defense actually played way over its head in the Super Bowl run two years ago and for all its flaws wasn't the real culprit this year, either.

My guess is they build a new team around balance, toughness, size, and physical explosiveness. The Pats of '01-'04 were superior on both defense and special teams. This team in recent years has been lopsided in favor of an offense built around a small, slow, aging slot receiver. It's just time to change the whole mathematics of this team.

Remember when we kept trying to go back to the Super Bowl with Drew Bledsoe and every year, we heard the same thing -- we need to get Drew another receiver? We need to draft David Terrell! Well, as soon as we stopped worrying about what our star quarterback wanted and just built a football team, we started winning like crazy. The current team has a lot of terrific assets -- Gronk, Hernandez, Solder, Mankins, Wilfork, Jones, the three young linebackers, McCourty, Dennard, the running backs and the makings of an outstanding ST unit with players like Slater, Ebner and Wilson and (hopefully) returners like Demps and someone like Leon Washington or Josh Cribbs (I don't think it's an accident that players like this have been an early focus of the team in FA).

You add a couple of pieces to the defense and a couple of good, solid receivers -- not stars, but just good players who can make a tough catch in the fourth quarter -- you've got a team with great balance again. They need a team that can win 7-6 or win 38-35. I don't think they're that far away.

So to me, I don't think they're going back to '07. I think they want to go back to '04, building a big, tough, explosive roster from top to bottom. It's going to be fun to watch them doing that.

I pray to GOD that you're right.

I disagree. I don't think it would matter what division they were in for the past 10 years. The Pats would still be able to match the success they have achieved regardless.

So far I have to agree with you. The Patriots have taken the carving knife to their offense. It remains to be seen whether they take the steps to rebuild it. Retaining Lloyd, re-signing Edleman, and adding a couple of young wide receivers would be a start. Lloyd is a bit of a flake but has a year's experience with Brady. With regard to LLoyd, I expect BB to let him go and deplete the WR corps still more. If
BB was a nice guy he would cut LLloyd so he could catch on to another job early in free agency.

He let Givens walk, but Branch forced his way out of town. Also, Brady has restructured his contract nearly every year, so trying to link the two explicitly is an uphill climb.

Retooling without Rebuilding

I think we are going to see some big moves in the next few days/weeks. Sad to see Wes go but DA is a suitable replacement.

We have enough money to trade for a big player or 2 and still sign some mid level FA's

My guess:
Trade for a big name WR
Mallett traded
2/3 DB's (incl Talib) + Safety picked up in FA
Vollmer, Edelman, Woodhead resign

This is 2006 revisited not 2007. In 2006 Brady restructured only for the Patriots to get rid of Deion Branch and bring in Reche Caldwell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back