PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JE11: Are We Back...

I don’t think we are back. I do, however, think it’s fair to say that our worst football might be behind us (barring injuries). I think the bigger story here is that the Bills are not a great team. They got embarrassed in London, barely squeaked by a bad Giants team, and got lit up by Mac while Allen looked wildly inaccurate rolling to his right.

With their defense as banged up as it is, I think the Bills are a decent team, but not good or even great.

We were back... For a few hours... Perhaps we can do it again for a few hours next weekend :cool:... Maybe not...:eek:

From my barcolounger Mac looked more like the Mac of '21 than '22 and early '23, which gives me mucho hope.
The D played well, considering all the injuries, holding Diggs to 6 catches & 58 yards was good. Should have done better with Kincaid. But overall the D did OK.
Mac did not have the deer in the headlights look and he did not walk off with his head held in shame. 0 turnovers..
Have they turned the corner?? Too soon to tell, but am more encouraged than when I picked the Pats to lose this game last week.

S
But if they win 7 games it'll be cheered by Team Bill as one of the best coaching jobs of his career. Can't make this **** up.

Bill's record the last 4 seasons is enough to conclude that he's cooked. History has not been kind to 70+ yo coaches. Nothing that happened yesterday or next week will change that.

While their stock is up, package Bill + Mac and trade them to Raiders for their 1st & 2nd. Mark Davis is a creepier version of Kraft and he's still trying to win. He'll give up that bounty to dump Josh/Ziegler, Hoyer & Jimmy.

2020 Team Bill

“We’re going at least 11-5”

7-9 finish

“Any other coach goes 1-15 with that team”

S

2020 Team Bill

“We’re going at least 11-5”

7-9 finish

“Any other coach goes 1-15 with that team”
I thought that...

got Cam'med...

love the dude, but man did he suck

Some quick hit thoughts:

1.) Mac had an near interception off a deflected pass as well as a near fumble that was recovered by Andrews.

2.) Strange as it sounds, I think the Bourne fumble happened at a good time. Had that drive been extended and we punted later on...maybe the Bills score the go ahead TD with no time left on the clock.

3.) Peppers had another interception in the EZ called back by the refs.

4.) A win down in Miami get us to 3-5, 3-2 in the AFC, and 3-1 in the AFC East...with two more against: WAS and IND (Frankfrut) before the BYE week.....just saying....if we get to 5-5, 4-2 in the AFC, and 3-1 in the AFCE by week 11...I am gonna love out chances in the final 7 games: @NYG, LAC, @PIT, KCC, @DEN, @BUF, and NYJ. I am seeing two wins in the back 7 which would make us 7-8 before the final two AFCE games....we would have a shot. OK, I will lay off the Kool Aid...

Oh please, Mac Jones supporters are just looking for an excuse to take offense at what I said.

A lot of anti-Mac people wouldn't have gone as far as I have - out right stating he played very well, that he lead this team to victory in the final minutes of the game and unequivocally stating Mac earned this win.

I have eaten my fair share of crow today because of his performance. Would gladly have another helping next week if he continues to not **** things up.
Still gonna’ turn to my friend and say, “well he’s no Tom” after every single last incompletion, but yes.

I don’t think we are back. I do, however, think it’s fair to say that our worst football might be behind us (barring injuries). I think the bigger story here is that the Bills are not a great team. They got embarrassed in London, barely squeaked by a bad Giants team, and got lit up by Mac while Allen looked wildly inaccurate rolling to his right.

With their defense as banged up as it is, I think the Bills are a decent team, but not good or even great.
I agree that the Bills got exposed. Their DL looks to be subpar, which is just what the Dr. ordered to help get right. Throw out Miami's 70 point game and they aren't all that, either. I think we are looking at a winnable game, but the margin is super slim for the Pats.

Yesterday was probably a more accurate assessment of where this roster is talent-wise than previous games, the Bills are overrated, and the Patriots can win games when the protection is better and Mac isn’t scoring for the other team or throwing off his back foot while making horror-movie faces the first sign of pressure.

The Bills also lost to the jets, no we're not back. But this is a good confidence booster for Mac. If he play clean again next week, we should be in a good spot.
You said the key word 'confidence " when a team looses especially like they have against Dallas and NO. It's does something to the confidence of a team. This was a much needed win. Like us the bills are banged up. However they still have playmakers on offense. They key going forward isn't how good the defense has to play It's singularly how effective and efficient can the offense be.

Can they score 24 to 25 points a game going forward? Can they score more often than just FGs in the red area? I keep hearing abou easy games on the schedule . Malarkey.. there are no such easy games in the NFL. Especially for this team. Miams defense can be had. They are beatable .

The Refs extended Pats drives and you can't count on that every game.
They extended the bills drives too.. a team that needs no extra help scoring points like we do..

I didn't realize the Bills had so many guys out on defense. They had a ton of JAG's out there. Regardless, their defense isn't very good against competent offenses even when healthy. Pats offense took advantage of this so credit to them.

However, their offense had no excuse. The Pats defense finally gave them some resistance. JC Jackson was having a good game until that late Diggs TD where he fell on the ground, got back up and ran it into the endzone.

Are they back? No. How many times did we see a bad Dolphins team beat the good Pats teams? We need to see them do this more in order to come to that conclusion.

I didn't realize the Bills had so many guys out on defense. They had a ton of JAG's out there. Regardless, their defense isn't very good against competent offenses even when healthy. Pats offense took advantage of this so credit to them.

However, their offense had no excuse. The Pats defense finally gave them some resistance. JC Jackson was having a good game until that late Diggs TD where he fell on the ground, got back up and ran it into the endzone.

Are they back? No. How many times did we see a bad Dolphins team beat the good Pats teams? We need to see them do this more in order to come to that conclusion.
They were missing Miliano and white on defense Two of thier best players all pros. We were missing two of our best players, and uche and white. They had thier full compliments on offense. Jack Jones should have been on Diggs in my opinion. There's games and next week is where we will really miss gonzo. I think they are far from being back.. but they can build confidence and momentum of a win like this. So we'll see..

I agree that the Bills got exposed. Their DL looks to be subpar, which is just what the Dr. ordered to help get right. Throw out Miami's 70 point game and they aren't all that, either. I think we are looking at a winnable game, but the margin is super slim for the Pats.
It had to have been in thier heads that they just couldn't beat the bills. That playoff drubbing included. Miami on defense that's where they can be had. If this offense has a heavy dose of pop Douglas they can move the ball and score. It took 7 weeks for them to realize Parker and juju were non effective. They must score in red zone as Miami we know can score in 2 to 3 plays.

It had to have been in thier heads that they just couldn't beat the bills. That playoff drubbing included. Miami on defense that's where they can be had. If this offense has a heavy dose of pop Douglas they can move the ball and score. It took 7 weeks for them to realize Parker and juju were non effective. They must score in red zone as Miami we know can score in 2 to 3 plays.
That makes it even sweeter

These conversations are funny. We go from will they ever win another game to are they back.

Truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
They aren’t as bad as they looked in the first 6 weeks and aren’t as good as they looked yesterday. RIGHT NOW. But they are a different team than they were early in the season.
The horrific OL play in the early games, affected every aspect of the team. It stalled the offense, it led to turnovers and bad has a tendency to snowball in a football game.
If the OL continues to play like it did yesterday this team will win more than they losing from here on. Especially given the remaining schedule which looks favorable.
Was it real improvement or a one game blip?
The downside is the mounting injuries on defense. The unit that looked like a dynamic defense that could hang with anyone is down Judon, Uche and white on top of 2 of the top 4 corners. It’s holding together but you can only outscheme so many injuries.

Yesterday was a very enjoyable win. Beating Miami this week would really have the arrow pointing in the right direction, particularly if the offense builds upon this game.
In a month it’s possible the games will really start to matter in the big picture.

We should not over react to one game positive or negative.

The offense has a a very limited arsenal. They can not seem to threaten deep outside or even between the hashes.
They do not have a rb who can run outside the hashes. Limited speed everywhere.
Makes it very easy for defenses to defend.

If Mac can consistently start hitting >20 yard passes (not including run after catch), then perhaps we can start to hope for better days.

I am perfectly fine with dinking and dunking if it puts points on the board.

If that turns out to be Macs game, so be it... Would rather have a 6 yard reception x 10 vs 1 60 yard bomb over the course of the game.
FWIW, haters used to say the same things about young TB12. Getting the ball in the hands of the open receiver is more important than how far the ball travels in the air.

They were missing Miliano and white on defense Two of thier best players all pros. We were missing two of our best players, and uche and white. They had thier full compliments on offense. Jack Jones should have been on Diggs in my opinion. There's games and next week is where we will really miss gonzo. I think they are far from being back.. but they can build confidence and momentum of a win like this. So we'll see..
Milano and Oliver were huge losses for them.

But remember, the Bills we know from the last several years haven't had Tre White.

He got hurt before their famous 13 seconds left loss to KC.

He didn't play until the very end of last year. And he was a shell of himself in his first couple of games this year. At his point, a guy who is older, who has missed out on 2 1/2 seasons, a guy with 2 major injuries, I don't think he would qualify as "missing." He's more of a Donte Hightower or Stephon Gilmore in 2021 type.

Milano and Oliver were indeed big losses for them.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back