PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy Garoppolo traded to SF for 2018 2nd round draft pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
2) Garoppolo didn't take the next step in training camp to consider replacing Brady with him. (I think they were right).

On the trade:
1) This team doesn't trade "for the future". They likely have designs on trading that pick.

2) Was there ever an expectation that JG would surpass Brady this year?

1) Where do you get this idea? Quite literally, the vast majority of NE trades are "for the future". Even the ones that bring back a player offer have a pick bundled with them to avoid sacrificing too much future flexibility.

Last edited:
They franchised Cassel to make sure Brady was recovered from his knee repair. They wouldn't franchise JAG this year, he does not have an eleven win season as starter to his credit so it would undermine his trade value.

says the guy who claims Hoyer = JAG

But once they saw his performance wasn't dropping, they had to let Jimmy G go.

They had to trade Jimmy by the deadline or let him walk for a comp pick that would not be as good as what we got, or try to franchise then trade him which is a much more riskier scenario because you're asking other teams to eat that hefty franchise tag.

Either way, this is one of the rare moments where the Patriots didn't have good leverage at the table because the only thing Jimmy G. wants is to start, even if it means taking a lot less money.

!!!!

I called this! Makes way too much sense not to happen. We need a backup QB.

Why not just include him in the trade? Huh?

That they held onto Jimmy when reports circulated that they were being offered a first before trading him for a second one night before the trade deadline should tell us that the team themselves aren't even sure whether or not Brady will play at a high level until 45. But they saw that he was playing at an elite level still in 2017 and decided to make the move based off of that. I would expect they're going to look to target Brady's replacement starting next year in the draft.

They had to trade Jimmy by the deadline or let him walk for a comp pick that would not be as good as what we got, or try to franchise then trade him which is a much more riskier scenario because you're asking other teams to eat that hefty franchise tag.

Either way, this is one of the rare moments where the Patriots didn't have good leverage at the table because the only thing Jimmy G. wants is to start, even if it means taking a lot less money.

Some of the bozos here are still saying we gave up a lot of Ealy because the Panthers got a 2nd round pick and returned only a third round pick even though the difference was only 9 spots.

I guess I am not surprised that some will not grasp that by getting the 49ers second round pick they just skipped from the end of the third round to the top of the second round which is essentially ~ 60 spots and got that pick a year earlier than if it had been that compensatory pick which as we know from last years Collins threads is not even guaranteed.

It is a classic BB move.. defer decision as long as you can and then get most value out of it. There might be a slight discount for the 49ers because they are in the NFC and not to be seen in the next 2 years but apart from that it is a nice trade. A bit of change (4th or 5th rounder) would have been nice in addition but whatevs..

Hoyer knows the system....and I would leave it at that....

And he can make it through 2 whole games without getting hurt! Though 3 might be pushing it.

I loved. They have $22,225,388 in cap space and only a few expensives FA'S, but they have a lot of money tied in LBTE incentives so they have to fill the roster with cheap talent. Jimmy is a great backup but the GOAT is still the better player and will be for the next 3/4 years. They will bring a cheap backup (Hoyer).

The trade is basically a mid #2 and mid #3 for Jimmy, it's a nice haul. Our picks: #1 #2(2) #3 #4(2) #6 and the the following FA's:

IMO they should flip this #2 pick for a mid #2 and #3 picks(looked the draft chart, that's the value). So they will have #1 #2(2) #3(2) #4(2) #6

Needs: QB(check)/CB(check)/DE/DT(check)/LB(check) - SS/TE Depth(both check)

T Solder - Tough decision. I would let him walk unless he accepts a reduced deal(Donald's Penn range - 9m).
T Waddle - Bring him back for 2/3m. He and Garcia will be our backups
T Fleming - Let him walk
TE Allen(He's not a FA but he will be cut). That will increase our cap in 5m, same amount due to Gronk for his incentives. So the cap stays the same. They need a second TE and they use our #4 to get one.
RB Lewis I like Lewis better. So he stays for 2/3m
RB Burkhead Let him walk. They already have Lewis, Gil and White + Bolden. Use our #4 and replace him
WR Danny Amendola - Bring him back 3m. Cut Dorsett will increase our cap in 1.6m
CB Butler They can't afford him and Solder. So let him walk. Use our #2a and pair him with Gilmore
CB Bademosi - Bring him back 2/3m
DL Marsh - Bring him back 2/3m
ST Ebner -Bring him back 2m
ST Bolden - Bring him back 1,5 m
ST Slater - Bring him back 2m
ST King - Bring him back 1,5m
Flowers - Let him walk

QB(2): Tom Brady +#3 Pick
RB(5): Mike Gilislee, James White, Dion Lewis, Brandon Bolden, #4 Pick - Burkhead's gone
FB(1): James Develin
TE(3): Rob Gronkowski, Jacob Hollister, #4 Pick - Allen's gone
OL(8): Nate Solder, Marcus Cannon, Tony Garcia, LaAdrian Waddle, David Andrews, Shaq Mason, Joe Thuney, Ted Karras - Fleming's gone
WR(5): Brandin Cooks, Cris Hogan, Julian Edelman, Danny Amendola, Malcom Mitchell - Dorsett's gone
DL(9): Deatrich Wise, Lawrence Guy, #1Pick, Malcom Brown, Derek Rivers, Adam Butler, Trey Flowers, Vincent Valentine, Cassius Marsh - Branch's gone
LB(5): Dont'a Hightower, Elandon Roberts, Shea McClellin, Kyle Van Noy #2b Pick - David Harris's gone
S(4): Devin McCourty, Patrick Chung, Duron Harmon, #3 Pick - Jordan Rcihard's gone
CB(5): Stephon Gilmore, Eric Rowe, Jonathan Jones, Johnson Bademosi, #2a Pick - Butler's gone
ST(6): Joe Cardona, Ryan Allen, Stephen Gostkowski, Brandon King, Nate Ebner, Matthew Slater

tumblr_nxmpj1U2uq1t8hf7yo1_500.png
nick.jpg

Hoyer doesn't give anyone anywhere as good a shot as JAG......what a crock of ****

Agreed. If hoyer gave us as good a shot, why would SF give up an early 2nd? Hoyer is a serviceable backup, jimmy is a potential top 15 starter. In a perfect world we would resign jimmy on our terms to continue to be our backup but it’s not fair to him. He deserves to start, well just have to draft Brady’s replacement probably next April.

In Belichick I trust maximize your assets with some risk taking.
Overall Bill wins more than loses ... I will take the odds.

I still don’t believe for a second that
A) there ever was an offer for JG on the table last April involving even one first round draft pick

B) if I was wrong about A then Bill wouldn’t jump all over that offer

C) JG is a lock as a starting NFL QB on a good team

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes