PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What kind of return can we get for trading the the 3rd pick?

Water Boy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Obviously the Trey Lance trade in 2021 comes to mind.

49ers get:

• 2021 first-round pick (No. 3 overall)
Dolphins get:

• 2021 first-round pick (No. 12 overall)
  • 2022 first-round pick (No. 29 overall)
  • 2022 third-round pick (No. 101 overall)
  • 2023 first-round pick (No. 29 overall)

I'm not sure if that in the trade there was a projection that San Fran's picks would be near the very end of the first round or not, but I'd be very temped to accept a trade like this. The picks swapped hands multiple times. The 2021, 12th overall pick turned into Micah Parsons . It's allowed Miami to move all over the draft board the last couple of years.

Given how depleted this team is in offensive talent, its unrealistic to think one year's draft and FA class is going to right the ship. Having two first round picks in '25 and '26 would give us plenty of capital to go after a QB down the road while building offensive depth this year.

I'd rather stay in the top 8, and lose one of the future firsts.

I believe typically, a future pick is valued like a mid round pick, roughly 16th pick in any given round.

I'd rather stay in the top 8, and lose one of the future firsts.

I believe typically, a future pick is valued like a mid round pick, roughly 16th pick in any given round.
More precisely, a future pick is valued like a middle-of-the-round pick one round lower. In other words, a 2025 1 is treated as roughly #48 in 2024.

More precisely, a future pick is valued like a middle-of-the-round pick one round lower. In other words, a 2025 1 is treated as roughly #48 in 2024.

True, somehow I forgot that key point....thank you.

If we could trade with the Giants, #3 for #6, and get their two 2024 second rounders I would do that. Then trade #6 to the Broncos for #12 and get their 2024 second and third rounder, I would do that. With the #12 pick we select JJ McCarthy at QB and have 6 day two picks, four 2nd rounders and two 3rd rounders, for two OTs, two WRs, a TE and a RB. With seven picks in the first three rounds we could transform this team.

We would sign defensive FAs with void years so we get Winfield Jr, Brian Burns, and one of the top 4 CBs. Resign Wilson Jr and Uche. Let Duggar and Onwenu walk as we have Mapu and Sow from last year to replace them. With the defensive FAs, plus Judon, Gonzo, Barmore, and White, we would be a Top 5 defense.

No idea if my trades make value sense, just pulled the idea out of my ash.

If we could trade with the Giants, #3 for #6, and get their two 2024 second rounders I would do that. Then trade #6 to the Broncos for #12 and get their 2024 second and third rounder, I would do that. With the #12 pick we select JJ McCarthy at QB and have 6 day two picks, four 2nd rounders and two 3rd rounders, for two OTs, two WRs, a TE and a RB. With seven picks in the first three rounds we could transform this team.

We would sign defensive FAs with void years so we get Winfield Jr, Brian Burns, and one of the top 4 CBs. Resign Wilson Jr and Uche. Let Duggar and Onwenu walk as we have Mapu and Sow from last year to replace them. With the defensive FAs, plus Judon, Gonzo, Barmore, and White, we would be a Top 5 defense.

I like the idea of moving from #3 to #6 for their two 2nds but i'd probably stop there and take Alt/Fashanu/Nabers.
Not sure what we'd do at QB, maybe sign a FA or move up to get McCarthy in the back half of the 1st if hes available.
I'd also consider keeping Onwenu, either as RT or RG (Move Sow to LG if Onwenu slides back inside, Strange to C or bench)
I do like the idea of fortifying the defense in free agency just based on whos available. Some guys id like to add: L'Jarius Sneed, Christian Wilkins, Geno Stone. I think the edge is set with Judon, White, and Jennings/Uche if we keep them

I like the idea of moving from #3 to #6 for their two 2nds but i'd probably stop there and take Alt/Fashanu/Nabers.
Not sure what we'd do at QB, maybe sign a FA or move up to get McCarthy in the back half of the 1st if hes available.
I'd also consider keeping Onwenu, either as RT or RG (Move Sow to LG if Onwenu slides back inside, Strange to C or bench)
I do like the idea of fortifying the defense in free agency just based on whos available. Some guys id like to add: L'Jarius Sneed, Christian Wilkins, Geno Stone. I think the edge is set with Judon, White, and Jennings/Uche if we keep them

J Andrews started Week 16 (at guard) which tells me that he is good and will replace D Andrews. If Strange's knee is OK, he was very good before the injury. I love Onwenu but we are stacked at IOL and need a more mobile RT. The dropoff from Onwenu to Sow is relatively small, not worth the FA dollars. Going from our rotating FS to Winfield Jr. is a huge jump and worth the FA dollars, IMO. I think we need a 2nd tall press corner across from Gonzo, and someone across from Judon like Burns (10+ sacks). Again well worth the FA dollars because without those players, there is a big dropoff.

We have to have a path to QB. By April, Nix and McCarthy will be Top 15 picks. Maybe Penix too. There is always a rush at QB. Putting off QB to 2025 is foolish IMO. I am glad RK is leaking to Rapaport that Mac will move on. Don't need whiners during a rebuild.

J Andrews started Week 16 (at guard) which tells me that he is good and will replace D Andrews. If Strange's knee is OK, he was very good before the injury. I love Onwenu but we are stacked at IOL and need a more mobile RT. The dropoff from Onwenu to Sow is relatively small, not worth the FA dollars. Going from our rotating FS to Winfield Jr. is a huge jump and worth the FA dollars, IMO. I think we need a 2nd tall press corner across from Gonzo, and someone across from Judon like Burns (10+ sacks). Again well worth the FA dollars because without those players, there is a big dropoff.

We have to have a path to QB. By April, Nix and McCarthy will be Top 15 picks. Maybe Penix too. There is always a rush at QB. Putting off QB to 2025 is foolish IMO. I am glad RK is leaking to Rapaport that Mac will move on. Don't need whiners during a rebuild.
Most of your points are fair, but I think youre being very optimistic about the interior OL. Im high on Sow, but J Andrews starting over Mafi doesnt say much. And Strange was far from very good before the injury. He would consistently get overpowered, and now he has to come back from a really tough knee injury.

Most of your points are fair, but I think youre being very optimistic about the interior OL. Im high on Sow, but J Andrews starting over Mafi doesnt say much. And Strange was far from very good before the injury. He would consistently get overpowered, and now he has to come back from a really tough knee injury.

Strange was improved and should be able to counter the bull rushes in Y3. I agree the knee thing could be bad, but he was wearing a brace so I am hopeful it was not too bad.

I think J Andrews started because they wanted to encourage him and tell him that he is in their long term plans. I agree that starting over Mafi in a meaningless Week 18 game is not impressive, but I don't think that was the message.

Sow, Mafi, and Andrews were rookies and will be much improved in Y2. Strange came from a Div II school so taking 3 years to mature is not uncommon. I think you are too critical and not taking into consideration the big jump the IOL will take. If Strange's knee is not too bad.

Sorry. I just realized there was another thread in the draft forum on this topic.

Mods feel free to merge.

You lost me at JJ McCarthy at #12 overall. Uggh the idea of that wasted pick is nauseating. We should not touch McCarthy with a pick earlier than the 3rd round!

NEGATIVES
— Skinny, sub-205-pound build that will invite injuries.
— One-speed thrower with average arm talent. Often fails to add arc and touch when necessary, especially outside the numbers.
— Below-average ability to throw late in the down or from uncomfortable platforms.
— Below-average processing and timing on anything but his first read.

Link to: Scouting Report

DON'T do it!

Just take the blue chip prospect at #3 whom our scouting department and talent evaluators say is the top guy available.

These fantasy trade scenarios are fun but they only really work out in mock draft sims and not in real life. That kind of gamble is not for me and definitely not on a prospect like McCarthy!

Agreed. Strange was a JAG. And that was before the injury. Who knows how he's going to bounce back from that. People keep trying to insist that he was worth a 1st round pick when it's clear that he's not. '

The Belichick draft value system is DEAD.

1707603446236-png.56493

As above mentioned by Rob0729 and reported by Nick Cattles in a tweet.

It's time to move on from the dinosaur age and try to obtain the most talent and value for our draft picks in today's NFL.

Agreed. Strange was a JAG. And that was before the injury. Who knows how he's going to bounce back from that. People keep trying to insist that he was worth a 1st round pick when it's clear that he's not. '

The Belichick draft value system is DEAD.

1707603446236-png.56493

As above mentioned by Rob0729 and reported by Nick Cattles in a tweet.

It's time to move on from the dinosaur age and try to obtain the most talent and value for our draft picks in today's NFL.
Strange was playing injured before his injury and was grading out as top 10 IOL against the run. He does need to improve in pass protection though.

You lost me at JJ McCarthy at #12 overall.

Me too. I like the idea of trading back and loading up with athletic rookies like Detroit, but I wouldn't want to waste my #12 pick on McCarthy.

I don't have a great answer at QB, but if the team could splash in FA (Tee Higgins), load up on offense, while keeping their own FA's. Maybe not bad.

Me too. I like the idea of trading back and loading up with athletic rookies like Detroit, but I wouldn't want to waste my #12 pick on McCarthy.

I don't have a great answer at QB, but if the team could splash in FA (Tee Higgins), load up on offense, while keeping their own FA's. Maybe not bad.

I am not sure that McCarthy is the answer, but there are a bunch of evalutors that like him. If we draft him and let him sit for a year and fill out, he might grow into a very good QB. A natural thrower that works well in and out of the pocket, and we can trade down to pick up 4 or 5 more picks we need to complete a rebuild.

On one hand, McCarthy could have reason to return to school and compete for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2025 NFL Draft. But if he wins the Championship, he’s grown enough to contend for Round 1 capital in the 2024 NFL Draft as a future NFL starter.

I htink the splash with Tee Higgins is exactly what we do not want to do. We need to build the offense through the draft. Almost all good NFL offenses were built through the draft, good offensive talent rarely makes it to FA. Solidify the D through FA, and concentrate on building the offense through the next two drafts.

I htink the splash with Tee Higgins is exactly what we do not want to do. We need to build the offense through the draft. Almost all good NFL offenses were built through the draft, good offensive talent rarely makes it to FA. Solidify the D through FA, and concentrate on building the offense through the next two drafts.

I agree 100% on this. FA can be used to get that last big upgrade, or to replace a lost piece, but not really to build a team for the long term.

Last edited:

I like the way you think.

The fly in the ointment may be that McCarthy may not be there at #12.

We’ll know more as we get closer to the draft.

I thought #199 was wasted on Tom Brady. Pats already had three QBs including Bledsoe.

Where was there a roster spot for him?

Not saying McCarthy is Brady, just saying.

McCarthy has the ability to be a late riser, like Mahomes was.

After the back and forth by Kraft/BB, I have no doubt Kraft will want to prove something and spend during FA.

The Bengals are franchising Higgins anyway, but I'm sure we're spending.

After the back and forth by Kraft/BB, I have no doubt Kraft will want to prove something and spend during FA.

The Bengals are franchising Higgins anyway, but I'm sure we're spending.

Spending to the cap is one approach, spending over the cap and spreading it out with void years, or equivalent, to get under the cap is a second approach. The second approach requires a lot more upfront cash. Which approach are you referring to when you say, "I'm sure we're spending"?

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back