PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Julian Edelman - The Irony! Deflates ballboy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StockingAnarchyNumber12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Did anybody catch this? During the 1st quarter with about 40 seconds left Julian Edelman caught a ball from Jimmy G and proceeded to "deflate" a ballboy on the Cardinals sideline and proceeded to stare him down after ramming into him.

I couldn't tell if it was intentional, but if it wasn't then HOLY DAMN THAT IRONY! Brady's first game out and Edelman deflates a ballboy. What are the chances? If not, that was a clever message sent by him.

I can't remember the case that was brought up during BountyGate*, but the legal precedent would be something along the lines of assault and grounds for a lawsuit if Edelman did this on purpose. Although football is a violent contact sport, that does not give players free reign to attack non-players or intentionally injure anyone, as those fall outside the accepted standards of the game.

Not that it matters because anyone who thought Edelman did this on purpose of "stared down" the ball boy is clearly reaching for their fantasies. I highly, highly doubt he would target a ball boy and then pump his chest. If it was a staredown, maybe the ball boy said something to him or didn't move out of the way as he should? I'll give Edelman the benefit of the doubt unless information suggesting otherwise comes out. I personally think that if anyone "demolishes" a sitting duck with no protection who is not actually playing a contact game is not someone we should celebrate.

*Lies

I can't remember the case that was brought up during BountyGate*, but the legal precedent would be something along the lines of assault and grounds for a lawsuit if Edelman did this on purpose. Although football is a violent contact sport, that does not give players free reign to attack non-players or intentionally injure anyone, as those fall outside the accepted standards of the game.

Not that it matters because anyone who thought Edelman did this on purpose of "stared down" the ball boy is clearly reaching for their fantasies. I highly, highly doubt he would target a ball boy and then pump his chest. If it was a staredown, maybe the ball boy said something to him or didn't move out of the way as he should? I'll give Edelman the benefit of the doubt unless information suggesting otherwise comes out. I personally think that if anyone "demolishes" a sitting duck with no protection who is not actually playing a contact game is not someone we should celebrate.

*Lies

Sadly, some people are already claiming he did it on purpose due to the irony of it all. Though, most of em were likely Pats haters.

My thought is Jules looked to see if the guy was ok but it came off as kind of a staredown because Jules was in crazy mode last night. That was obvious through the whole game. So he might have been checking on the guy, but his body language/intensity wasn't going to change for a second.

Watch the Vine. He definitely did it on purpose. He lowered his shoulder as he was coming out of bounds. I personally don't care, but it was intentional.

Watch the Vine. He definitely did it on purpose. He lowered his shoulder as he was coming out of bounds. I personally don't care, but it was intentional.

Kinda dissapointed in Edelman. He should of did that to Roger G instead.

Seriously though - I know Edelman is ticked off about Brady. We all are. Though, to hit a defenseless non player who didn't even know it was coming? Pushed it a bit imo.

If so, I'm glad.

check his cell phone to see if there's anyone he knows who's referred to themselves as mini-bus or bull-dozer, heck even dozer might be enough because we all know that's the generally accepted term for bulldozer.

Let other team fans scream at every play they see.

Last edited:
In Edelman's defense, the ball boy is just standing there looking at Edelman. He didn't even bother to move or at least duck.

If it came down to either Edelman or the ball boy getting hurt, I know who 100% of us would pick.

He was flying out of bounds, the ball boy got levied, Edelman didn't really have a choice, he was pushed in that direction. He lowered the part of his body that was least likely to injure the dude and was looking back to see if he was ok. It's a non-issue. he didn't have time to stop play to go check on him

I'd say it was instinct that made him lower his shoulder.

It wasn't on purpose- meaning it's not like he looked for a guy to hit on the sideline. If there was any evidence of that...then Roger would be happily writing up his suspension papers as we speak.

I am glad he lowered his shoulder. Think about it. If I was the ballboy, I would prefer the shoulder pad over the helmet.

Absolutely. People need to think about this.
A shoulder pad to the chest vs say a helmet or facemask to the face/jaw.
I know what I'd pick.

Had he launched himself into the bystander, I'd support a penalty.
He did not.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Yeah if it were actually on purpose he'd need to sit out a game. Doubt he would do it on purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3