PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keep Revis and pay the $20M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mayo's roster bonus is guaranteed for injury. Cutting him this weekend would INCREASE the team's cap number by $700,000+.

If you held a gun to the Pats' head, they could come up with $5 million in cap space this weekend, but it's not something they really want to have to do. It would have to include a lot of dumb moves.

What's the point? If Revis wants to leave NE so badly that he forces the Pats to make the $20 million option payment, there's no basis for a successful negotiation on a long term deal. I don't believe Revis is trying to get out of town. On a long term deal, he's likely to pocket MORE than the $20 million guaranteed so there's incentive for him to do a new deal (unless he's just dying to hit free agency again at age 31 or 32.

No Mayo is still injured and can't be re-done until he passes his physicalunless you propose an outright release with an $ injury settlement

You know the irony in all this? The Bucs had a pretty good deal with Revis. Sure, it was $16 million a year, straight cash homey, but there was zero team risk. If Revis blows out another ACL, the team can walk away at the end of any year of the deal. A four year $16 million a year straight cash homey deal with no guarantees would be something to consider for Revis. The Pats don't really have the cap room for it this year, but they'd like the deal in 2016, 2017, etc.

You can't really make that claim with supreme confidence. In those games they also scored 14 and 17 points respectfully.

You could easily make the argument that LaFell and Gronk would have made the difference as they help offenses score more points.
No point can be made with as you put it supreme confidence. However as it transpired both games came down to one or two plays which made the difference regardless of how few points we scored. In the almost perfect season superbowl, in my opinion, I would rather have Ty Law as the cornerback covering the receivers rather than Samuel or Hobbs for the crucial two plays. Same with the other superbowl, a better cornerback may very well stop the pass to Manningham.

No point can be made with as you put it supreme confidence. However as it transpired both games came down to one or two plays which made the difference regardless of how few points we scored. In the almost perfect season superbowl, in my opinion, I would rather have Ty Law as the cornerback covering the receivers rather than Samuel or Hobbs for the crucial two plays. Same with the other superbowl, a better cornerback may very well stop the pass to Manningham.
Yep.

It does stand to reason SB42 that Ty or Revis make that catch or don't freelance and let Tyree roam free.

I'm not sure what happens on that Manningham catch. It was sooo good. Perfectly thrown. Certainly Browner/Revis is an upgrade over Sterling Moore and would have been much more physical at the LoS and not give him that free release down the sideline.

Or comes back after the circus catch (either game), makes a perfect play, and gets the ball back. That's your script from SB 49. That's why I say you can get there sideways from Revis -> Defensive confidence/resiliency (b/c you're not constantly getting torched) -> big play at the end. Or maybe just, Butler.

I went and watched the ends of SB 42 and 46 after my post, and in at least one of them, maybe both, those defenses looked gassed... hands on hips, heads hanging in between plays. I haven't gone back and looked at the "good" one for comparison. It's all very squishy and anecdotal, just this feeling all last season that 60 minutes for this team meant "not 59:30. 60."

The difference is last years defense could stop someone when they had to. I don't care about the score. The defense shut it down in the fourth quarter.

Or comes back after the circus catch (either game), makes a perfect play, and gets the ball back. That's your script from SB 49. That's why I say you can get there sideways from Revis -> Defensive confidence/resiliency (b/c you're not constantly getting torched) -> big play at the end. Or maybe just, Butler.

I went and watched the ends of SB 42 and 46 after my post, and in at least one of them, maybe both, those defenses looked gassed... hands on hips, heads hanging in between plays. I haven't gone back and looked at the "good" one for comparison. It's all very squishy and anecdotal, just this feeling all last season that 60 minutes for this team meant "not 59:30. 60."
Actually, in a way we are both right, I fully agree that the overall defense was better this year than in our failed efforts. In my opinion , it was the presence of Revis that allowed BB to play the more aggressive defense to win rather try to cover for deficiencies in the defense and hope for the offense to win.

Or, if you get to spin the slot machine 3 times instead of 2, you win one. So much turned on a few plays in all 3 games. I just see "keep Revis" as a very big priority to the team. Mind you, I'm always wrong.

Giants ran 71 offensive plays and had the ball for 37:05 in 46. That D was very gassed. They allowed points on 3 of the Gs last 4 possessions. Pats didn't score on their last 4.

In 42 they allowed 2 80+ yd drives in the 4th qtr. Very possible that they were cooked.

Actually, in a way we are both right, I fully agree that the overall defense was better this year than in our failed efforts. In my opinion , it was the presence of Revis that allowed BB to play the more aggressive defense to win rather try to cover for deficiencies in the defense and hope for the offense to win.

The difference between 2014 and 2011 was a healthy Gronk and not having a Welker that drops game sealing TD throws.

The difference between 2014 and 2011/2012/2013.......is a healthy Gronk

A healthy Gronk in SB XLVI and that game is over by half time. Does anyone seriously think that Chase Blackburn stays with a healthy Gronk and intercepts a pass?

How come "Super Bowl" caliber defenses in 2001 and 2003 were presented with the chance to close out their games and promptly got shredded down the field and allowed game tying TD'S?

In the end, it comes down to making a play when the play needs to be made. Welker didn't, Samuel didn't.....Butler did.

Playing "aggressive" or "to win" is simply mindless and has nothing to do with it.

Easy ways to get under cap
1.) Extend Solder
2.) Extend Ghost
3.) Waive Dennard
4.) Waive Hooman

I don't think that doing new contracts for Soldier and Gostkowski between now and Monday is that easy. Both of those are significant negotiations. The problem is that negotiations like those will be easier with the salary information from this year's free agent signings, as those comparables set the price.

And, the underlying problem remains: if you can't get a long-term deal with Revis done now and you have to do the $20 million option to keep him, you are so far apart and negotiations have broken down to such and extent that you probably aren't going to EVER reach a deal with him. So now you've completely tied your hands on the 2015 salary cap. You've still got to sign draft picks, set aside some emergency cap room, etc.

For all we know the patriots have been negotiating with the duo for awhile

1.) Extend Solder
2.) Extend Ghost
3.) Waive Dennard
4.) Waive Hooman

The writing has been on the wall for Dennard since November. I agree.

Hooman can be waived and picked back up later in the year. I'm not really concerned about another team swooping in to snatch Hooman...unless ,of course, that clown show in Buffalo sees a need to splash it's toes all over the sports news venues.

I don't think that doing new contracts for Soldier and Gostkowski between now and Monday is that easy. Both of those are significant negotiations. The problem is that negotiations like those will be easier with the salary information from this year's free agent signings, as those comparables set the price.

And, the underlying problem remains: if you can't get a long-term deal with Revis done now and you have to do the $20 million option to keep him, you are so far apart and negotiations have broken down to such and extent that you probably aren't going to EVER reach a deal with him. So now you've completely tied your hands on the 2015 salary cap. You've still got to sign draft picks, set aside some emergency cap room, etc.

Yes but they can always restructure the deal IF Revis is OK with it. Need to do that by 3/31 as thats when the first installment of the $12m roster bonus is due.

Yes but they can always restructure the deal IF Revis is OK with it. Need to do that by 3/31 as thats when the first installment of the $12m roster bonus is due.

If you are so far apart and Revis wants to leave NE so much that you can't do a long-term deal by March 10th, there is absolutely no reason to believe that you'll get a deal done by March 31st.

Or, to put it another way. If you are close enough to get a deal done by March 31st, you might as well just get it done this weekend and save the aggravation of making shotgun cap moves.

Either Revis and the Pats want to do a deal or they don't. If they want to do a deal, they should git 'er done. If they don't want to do a deal, then ****ing around for another three weeks isn't going to change anything.

If you are so far apart and Revis wants to leave NE so much that you can't do a long-term deal by March 10th, there is absolutely no reason to believe that you'll get a deal done by March 31st.

Or, to put it another way. If you are close enough to get a deal done by March 31st, you might as well just get it done this weekend and save the aggravation of making shotgun cap moves.

Either Revis and the Pats want to do a deal or they don't. If they want to do a deal, they should git 'er done. If they don't want to do a deal, then ****ing around for another three weeks isn't going to change anything.

I agree but these things take time sometimes. For example the could agree on the guaranteed money but not on the payment schedule. If you recall back in I think 06 it took the Pats and Brady a couple of months to work that out. It got testy IIRC.

The difference between 2014 and 2011 was a healthy Gronk and not having a Welker that drops game sealing TD throws.

The difference between 2014 and 2011/2012/2013.......is a healthy Gronk

A healthy Gronk in SB XLVI and that game is over by half time. Does anyone seriously think that Chase Blackburn stays with a healthy Gronk and intercepts a pass?

How come "Super Bowl" caliber defenses in 2001 and 2003 were presented with the chance to close out their games and promptly got shredded down the field and allowed game tying TD'S?

In the end, it comes down to making a play when the play needs to be made. Welker didn't, Samuel didn't.....Butler did.

Playing "aggressive" or "to win" is simply mindless and has nothing to do with it.
Let me refresh your memory. In the 2001 superbowl, we were aq 17 point underdog against the Rams and the greatest show on turf and it was considered a miracle that our defense kept us in the game by turnovers until Brady setup the field goal. In 2003, the defense had both starting safeties hurt and the defense was holding on for Brady to set up the field goal. The defenses at the end of both games was not the Superbowl caliber teams you are referring to.

1.) Extend Solder
2.) Extend Ghost
3.) Waive Dennard
4.) Waive Hooman

My issue is waive Dennard
He is an enigma. Was he injured thru 2014 or has he regressed to the mean? I don't know.
Were Revis to leave, we need CBs and Den played like one 2 years ago.

That's why I'm not blasé about waiving the guy. Obviously BB is in the know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes