PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft comments on Patriots are cheap storyline.

holyredeemer

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score

This whole thing seems odd to me. The timing of the comment being SB week and all that. Why is he even commenting on it at all? Also, if we take him at his word, the comments about trying to bring in more expensive players but being shot down is pretty damn interesting.

Because with Bill out of the door the local reporters and talking heads are increasingly directing the “cheap Patriots” narrative back onto Kraft whether it’s about not paying players or picking coaches who are being paid by other teams rather than going for a top candidate and opening up the checkbook.

He can prove one way or the other moving forward. Actions speak louder than words.

This whole thing seems odd to me. The timing of the comment being SB week and all that. Why is he even commenting on it at all? Also, if we take him at his word, the comments about trying to bring in more expensive players but being shot down is pretty damn interesting.

Why now? Because Lombardi in his fight with Felger let that slip as an excuse for Bill. He said point blank that Belichick was constrained by one of the lowest payrolls in the league. And EVERYONE knows Lombardi speaks for Bill.

Here’s how The Athletic framed the interaction:
In an informal, mostly off-the-record session here with a few reporters, Kraft went on the record to address two questions

So the answer is that he commented on it because he was asked about it.

In an informal, mostly off-the-record session here with a few reporters, Kraft went on the record to address two questions

Curious what they talked about off-the-record.

Interesting. The 2 articles I reas made it sound as if he just brought it up. Lol!

Why now? Because Lombardi in his fight with Felger let that slip as an excuse for Bill. He said point blank that Belichick was constrained by one of the lowest payrolls in the league. And EVERYONE knows Lombardi speaks for Bill.
I missed this interaction. This was recent then?

Because with Bill out of the door the local reporters and talking heads are increasingly directing the “cheap Patriots” narrative back onto Kraft whether it’s about not paying players or picking coaches who are being paid by other teams rather than going for a top candidate and opening up the checkbook.

He can prove one way or the other moving forward. Actions speak louder than words.
It’s going to be a wild offseason. I cant help but feel like this team is going to be spending like crazy trying to reset the offensive side of the ball. OL, a few RB’s, restocking the TE position, a few WR’s via FA and draft. Im really interested to see what they do with the OL and TE position. This is going to be a smash mouth football team, going to need quality depth.

The answer is that he commented on it because he was asked about it.

And RK probably had no idea that would be one of the questions. Do you think RK sat down for an interview and was blindsided by a question about being a cheap bastard? Amazing how insightful reporters are these days.

The Patriots have the most cap space in the NFL over the next three years. That means the Pats do not spread their cap hits over time by using void years or the equivalent. Why do the Pats avoid spreading the cap hit? Because it decreases the cash up front. Since we have the most cap space in the NFL over the next three years, is it fair to say our owner saved more cash than the other 31 owners? It is not only a fair statement, it is a fact. RK is cheap. No way to dispute that.

And RK probably had no idea that would be one of the questions. Do you think RK sat down for an interview and was blindsided by a question about being a cheap bastard? Amazing how insightful reporters are these days.

The Patriots have the most cap space in the NFL over the next three years. That means the Pats do not spread their cap hits over time by using void years or the equivalent. Why do the Pats avoid spreading the cap hit? Because it decreases the cash up front. Since we have the most cap space in the NFL over the next three years, is it fair to say our owner saved more cash than the other 31 owners? It is not only a fair statement, it is a fact. RK is cheap. No way to dispute that.
The question is, and it was on talk radio all day yesterday, was it Bill being Frugal or Kraft not letting him spend? Most came down to blaming BB but like the other poster said, we'll know who it was in the next couple of years.

The question is, and it was on talk radio all day yesterday, was it Bill being Frugal or Kraft not letting him spend? Most came down to blaming BB but like the other poster said, we'll know who it was in the next couple of years.
Mayo said, "We're ready to burn some cash..."

But that don't mean they'll change the modus operandi.

Mayo said, "We're ready to burn some cash..."

But that don't mean they'll change the modus operandi.
That's why I said next couple years will tell, it's only a few million we're talking about so Kraft should be able to dish it out if they need players. For years we heard Jeremy Jacobs was cheap and after all those years until we found out it was Harry Sinden who was tight with the purse strings. Maybe this is similar.

Kraft is showing himself to be so thin-skinned and worried about the brand.

I’m on the west coast and dont tune-in to talk radio. I depend on podcasts typically a day late to hear the talking points. Guess I know what Ill be listening to today.

I never got the point of this criticism. I've always gotten the impression that the team has both benefited and been hampered by BB's frugal spending. One person's cheap is another person's thrifty.

I didn't know that and I don't believe that

It's not a matter of anyone being frugal.

It's a matter of having a team philosophy.

There are 2 philosophies we might be getting rid of here as the Patriots prepare to spend:

1. Do you want to build a strong middle class on the team and to have depth? There are 22 starters in a sport heavy with injuries. Philosophically, do you want only a handful of players getting the big money? Players like Bruschi, Vrabel, Ninkovich, Harrison, Neal, Vollmer, Light, Edelman, flourished in New England. I'd argue that ALL of these players would have been cut in much of the NFL for earning 75% of the contracts given to top players at their positions, because none of them were upper echelon players. When the team had a chance to maximize contracts with a Gilmore or a Hightower or a Revis, they did it.

2. Do you want to retain 10% of your cap each and every year so that you can dole out hard to earn incentives? Essentially, Belichick adopted a corporate approach to the roster. The players who played hard and kept to the team framework were given end of year bonuses. Is this a smart approach? Incentivizing and therefore motivating players beyond their base salaries? You can't even do this IF you're at or over the cap each year.

It's really easy to spend a lot of money in free agency when you have a ton of cap space and when you have a losing team.

The real test for Kraft is what happens when the team has a mature roster, when many are being paid decently, when the QB is into his 2nd contract: at that point, the top spending teams guarantee $$$ for great players and they push out the bonuses into future years.

That's where the rubber hits the road. Not now.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back