PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's Put An End To the Maroney Madness(X3 Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Let's Put An End To the Maroney Madness

Yeah I guess there are other answers too.

Maroney is way above average back in space, with amazing straight ahead speed. but is average in straight ahead running and has trouble making people miss at the line. The OL is partially to blame i think. You need a crash and bash runner for the way the y block.

The Pats have NOT run plays that play to his strengths yet (for some good reason i would guess) like the STRETCH, the FLAIR, the SCREEN.

I am still (ever?) hopeful!!!

And I dont mind all these Maroney threads a bit.:cool:

Re: Maroney running poorly and missing tacklers

Is there anyway we can have one big Maroney thread sticky so that these idiot would stop making two or three every week talking about the same junk?

Im in the seiglo school. He's had setbacks, but I am more than willing to bet that Maroney will be a valuable asset for us in the next few years. Faulk isn't getting any younger, and LoMO can do his role AND give you a tough inside run. Does he dance too much? Sure...as many a young back does.

But writing him off at this point is just plain stooopid. Chad Jackson on the other hand.....:D

And another thing. Those of you who think we are NOT going to upgrade the running back position in the offseason are nuts. Do you honestly think our offense would be able to substain a season ending loss to Randy Moss? Welker is a slot guy, not an outside guy. You think Stallworth and Gaffney on the outside are GOOD ENOUGH to keep this offense rolling with absolutely NO RUNNING GAME? Puhleaze. This backfield will definitely be upgraded in the offseason just like the wide receiving corps was this offseason. I expect a veteran or a high round draft pick. Without a doubt.

I think the Patriots philosophy is to have 2 RB's, which is why they liked having Maroney and Morris. They understand the beating a RB takes and it seems to me that they believe it is better to split carries between two backs than have one shoulder the load.

When Morris went down, it left us with only Maroney, who also was dinged up. If Maroney goes down they have absolutely no one, it's a big risk to pound Maroney in there when it is unnecessary. Especially when you have such an amazing passing game and the pass gets more yards than the run.

I'm not sure we will see a patriots RB that takes the load like Dillon did a few years back. I think we will always see 2 RB's sharing the load, at least as much as possible.

Yeah, you've missed the obvious and correct answer:

Maroney is an average back, best used in normal running situations. He is coming off an injury so he wasn't able to bulk up in the off season to add the strength we might have expected for a second year player. That being said, he has some talent and could develop nicely. The Pats don't use him very much because they have the greatest passing offense in history and stupid teams like the Steelers continue to throw very good run defenses at them.

Duh!

Why can people not realize what you have so clearly stated? I'm not a Maroney lover or a Maroney hater, and for the life of me can't fathom why a Pats fan would be either.

He is a first round talent RB who has shown equal part flashes of goodness and badness. No, he isn't Joe Addai. Sorry.

But he's not Cedric Benson or Curtis Enis or Kijana Carter or Blair Thomas either.

And lest we forget, a few years ago the KC Chiefs were very, very close to having a fire sale on first round bust Larry Johnson. I believe they almost shipped him to the Fish for a 4th or something.

Patience. There are better things for you people to complain about.

I think the Patriots philosophy is to have 2 RB's, which is why they liked having Maroney and Morris. They understand the beating a RB takes and it seems to me that they believe it is better to split carries between two backs than have one shoulder the load.

When Morris went down, it left us with only Maroney, who also was dinged up. If Maroney goes down they have absolutely no one, it's a big risk to pound Maroney in there when it is unnecessary. Especially when you have such an amazing passing game and the pass gets more yards than the run.

I'm not sure we will see a patriots RB that takes the load like Dillon did a few years back. I think we will always see 2 RB's sharing the load, at least as much as possible.

The Cowboys have two #1 picks and suppossedly love McFadden. I would love to trade the #2 pick for one of their #1's(in the 20's) and Marion Barber.

Whose expectations - the fanboys? Bill and Josh seem to be OK with him. When they start making decisions to please the fanboys, it'll be time to stick a fork in the dynasty...

Well, fans are allowed to have expectations as well. Pre-season everyone was ecpecting at least 1000+ combined yards for Maroney.

Besides, Bill and Josh do not seem to be all that OK with him, otherwise he would be getting some more carries. With Morris in, the offense was significatly more balanced, because the run game was productive with Maroney and Morris platooning. With Maroney out, Morris's carries went up and he had a couple 100+ games. With Morris out, Maroney is still at <20 carries a game.

It might not mean much this season. With the passing attack the way it is, Brady-Moss-Welker can take us us to the promised land alone. But it would put my mind at ease if they could get a few more yards on the ground.

It seems we have three schools of thought on this board with regard to Mr. Maroney:

School #1: Maroney is a great back who has just not been given the opportunity to show what he can do because of the gameplan and our other strengths. He's being held back so he's fresh for the playoffs, when he will show us all his true value.

School #2: Maroney is an average back who would be better utilized in a more limited 3rd down, pass-catching type role and the Patriots should start focusing on locking up a full-time, full-tilt back for next year (Rhymes with McBadden). I personally subscribe to this school.

School #3: Maroney sucks. Cut him now. He worthless.

Have I missed anyone?

If not, let's just all say we are what we are when it comes to Laurence and move onto something we can all agree on - smacking the infernal p i s s out Eric Vagina and the Jets!

Peace and Happy Holidays,
Armen Da Pats Fan

(I know, DaBruinz, don't say it - I'm a moron and a jacka s s and an idiot and so on and so on...I got how you feel about me, okay?)

First off, I didn't call you a jacka$$.. Get your facts straight.
Secondly, what you, NSA, and Danny88 don't seem to understand is that I have taken a wait and see attitude with Maroney. What galls me is the haters who spew stupidity and look at things in a vacuum. They ignore GLARING facts that put the situation into context. They make baseless assumptions that are the equivalent of 1+1=3.

Well, fans are allowed to have expectations as well. Pre-season everyone was ecpecting at least 1000+ combined yards for Maroney.

Besides, Bill and Josh do not seem to be all that OK with him, otherwise he would be getting some more carries. With Morris in, the offense was significatly more balanced, because the run game was productive with Maroney and Morris platooning. With Maroney out, Morris's carries went up and he had a couple 100+ games. With Morris out, Maroney is still at <20 carries a game.

If you call Maroney having 53 carries to Morris' 34 carries platooning, ok. Also, you completely ignore that the defenses the Pats faced with Morris in the line-up were not exactly top 10 against the run, except Dallas. And no one knows how many runs Morris would have had.

Maroney had faced 3 top 10 run (2 of the top 3) run defenses in the past 2 weeks. Why would they run the ball regularly when they have such a prolific passing game?

Seriously? WHY take snaps away from Brady, Moss, Watson, Stallworth, Faulk, Welker, and Gaffney to bang your head against a brick wall? That just doesn't make sense.

So, I'm sorry to say, the idea that Maroney would be getting more carries just doesn't fly.

It might not mean much this season. With the passing attack the way it is, Brady-Moss-Welker can take us us to the promised land alone. But it would put my mind at ease if they could get a few more yards on the ground.

I think we'd all like to see the team get more yards on the ground. However, you have to look at it from a game plan perspective. The team just has NOT run the ball the last 3 weeks because PASSING the ball was a bigger priority.

BTW, another difference between the time that Maroney was out and Morris was getting the ball and with Morris out is that the Pats KNEW they were getting Maroney back. The Pats KNOW they aren't getting Morris back this year.

There are MANY factors that need to be taken into consideration. People like NSA, ADPF, and Danny can't be bothered taking them into consideration because it shows their arguments to be hollow.

is this thread starter, NEM by any chance?

misguided agenda, same kind of attrition campaign to prove a point that logic and facts deny, and when all fails, some awful sarcasm that comes as bad humor.

BINGO!

I logged on to this thread simply to ask the MODERATORS:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CHECK THIS POSTER'S IPO ADDRESS. THIS GUY IS JUST LIKE NEM.

I believe it is a bad thing around here to switch IPO names and it leads to people being banned.

Anyway, this guy is going to be NEM in my mind from here on out.

Obviously running wasn't part of the gameplan. And obviously the reason is because they don't believe Maroney is capable of being the #1 back.

When Maroney was out, and Morris was in; isn't it amazing how Morris was able to pick up 100 yard rushing games.

Against Defenses that were very weak against the run.. Funny thing about that, huh.

Then when Morris was out, all of a sudden running is no longer part of the gameplan.

Only been 3 games where the running game was not a big factor in the game plan. The last 3. In Buffalo, there was no need to run Maroney with the score 35-7 at the half. And the Pats put up 20 runs with their 4th and 5th options.

The reason they don't run is because 1. The passing game is excellent. 2. Maroney isn't capable of being the go-to-guy all game long. He's capable of being the finesse guy when there's a power-back in place. When there is no power-back, Maroney becomes a non-factor.

#2 is pure speculation on your part and is only supported if one ignores the game plans.

I can guarantee if they any of the backs we faced in the past 3 weeks instead of Maroney, that we would've ran alot more with those guys; since those guys are actually capable of running.

No you can't guarantee that. In fact, its pure fallacy for you to even attempt to say it. Because the GAME PLAN shows you to be wrong. Its not like the Pats were giving the ball to Faulk on runs and he was getting more carries than Maroney.

Maroney + Morris = 100+ yards rushing/game
Morris alone = 100 yards rushing/game
Maroney alone = 20 yards rushing/game
Hmm...

Maroney + Morris + poruous run defenses + great passing game= 150 yards rushing per game
Morris + porous run defenses + great passing game = 100 yards per game.
Maroney + Top 10 (2-top 3) run defenses + great passing game = 31 rushing yards per game.

Hell, as someone else mentioned, Brady pointed out that the Steelers were lining up in their run defense when Maroney was out there.

What the hell? People aren't entitled to their opinion? Completely ridiculous. Love him or hate him, Maroney has not performed to expectations. Why all the hate for those that have that opinion? Its ok to have a dozen man-love threads on Brady and Moss, but not on discussing one of the few weaknesses this team has? Give me a break..:mad:

BTW, I'm in school #2. They should be using him more out of the backfield in catching situations. He has done relatively well there.

Exactly. These guys just want 100% arse kissing threads on this site. Sorry, but some of us don't think EVERYTHING is PERFECT on thsi team.

Exactly. They don't want to acknowledge the fact that we do not run because Maroney sucks and not because we don't want to run.

Unfortunately for you, there is no support for your claim. Other than your biased idiotic speculation.

Against Defenses that were very weak against the run.. Funny thing about that, huh.

Only been 3 games where the running game was not a big factor in the game plan. The last 3. In Buffalo, there was no need to run Maroney with the score 35-7 at the half. And the Pats put up 20 runs with their 4th and 5th options.

#2 is pure speculation on your part and is only supported if one ignores the game plans.

No you can't guarantee that. In fact, its pure fallacy for you to even attempt to say it. Because the GAME PLAN shows you to be wrong. Its not like the Pats were giving the ball to Faulk on runs and he was getting more carries than Maroney.

Maroney + Morris + poruous run defenses + great passing game= 150 yards rushing per game
Morris + porous run defenses + great passing game = 100 yards per game.
Maroney + Top 10 (2-top 3) run defenses + great passing game = 31 rushing yards per game.

Hell, as someone else mentioned, Brady pointed out that the Steelers were lining up in their run defense when Maroney was out there.

More of Da Excuses from Da Excuses. Old and stale. Are you running out of Da Excuses yet? Good lord.:D

What are you talking about? Backups are backups. #1 Draft Picks are suppossed to be the goods. Maroney is suppossed to be able to be a #1 guy. Eckel, Evans, and Faulk are NOT. Once Maroney has proven himself to be a BUST and not capable of carrying the load, than obviously the coaches are going to rather pass than give it to backup running backs like Evans and Eckel. Wake up.

So 2nd round RBs aren't supposed to be the MAN? Hmm.. I seem to remember people making the same argument about Kevin Faulk.

Maroney hasn't proven himself to be anything yet. Its the idiots of the world who insist on ignoring 99% of the facts that think he's a bust.

Maroney had faced 3 top 10 run (2 of the top 3) run defenses in the past 2 weeks. Why would they run the ball regularly when they have such a prolific passing game?.

But the Bills and Eagles do not, and he still was not getting carries.

Seriously? WHY take snaps away from Brady, Moss, Watson, Stallworth, Faulk, Welker, and Gaffney to bang your head against a brick wall? That just doesn't make sense.

Which is exactly my point, I would like to think that my #1 running back would be a bigger weapon then my #4 wide reciever. Which simply is not the case.

I think we'd all like to see the team get more yards on the ground. However, you have to look at it from a game plan perspective. The team just has NOT run the ball the last 3 weeks because PASSING the ball was a bigger priority.

I am looking at the game plan, and right now it is clear the plan has Maroney as a decoy.

From my perspective, they are going with the assumtion, it is better to not try and run and let people think you can't run the ball, then to try and prove you can't run the ball.

More of Da Excuses from Da Excuses. Old and stale. Are you running out of Da Excuses yet? Good lord.:D

There are no excuses there. Only fact. You might want to get an education at some point because everyone knows you to be an idiot and no one thinks your stupidity is cute.

But the Bills and Eagles do not, and he still was not getting carries.

Which is exactly my point, I would like to think that my #1 running back would be a bigger weapon then my #4 wide reciever. Which simply is not the case.

I am looking at the game plan, and right now it is clear the plan has Maroney as a decoy.

From my perspective, they are going with the assumtion, it is better to not try and run and let people think you can't run the ball, then to try and prove you can't run the ball.

Exactly. Better to have people think you suck then to run the ball and absolutely, positively prove you suck.:D

The Cowboys have two #1 picks and suppossedly love McFadden. I would love to trade the #2 pick for one of their #1's(in the 20's) and Marion Barber.

Except they aren't going to do that. They might give us Julius Jones, but they won't give us Barber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes