PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Let's Talk Free Agency 2024

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatttt... defense ... please.... do you want us to never watch pats game.. we have high school level talent on offense .

Please tell me you were joking or troling us. At this point its not funny... we suck that bad on offense...
Did you read the post?...clearly NOT it says FREE AGENCY come on pal.. I know what the offense needs. I'm talking about aside from that.. besides if we got jaire Alexander right now you'd be jumping for joy like I would!!! Proof read please.

This year's draft and free agency appear to mimic one another. Our top 3 offensive needs are QB, OL, and WR. Free agency is weak on OL and QB, but some pretty respectable receivers can be signed like (as mentioned) Higgins and Pittman. If we could land a decent WR in free agency, that would take the pressure off of the draft as we'll only have 2 important positions to fill.

With the 3rd and 34th pick, we might be able to make a dent in our offense's ineptitude at QB and OL with a decent WR signed in free agency.
That's my hope, too. And maybe a serviceable vet QB and Owenhu.

If I need additional sleep “assistance”, a couple of Jameson’s work just fine…

“Nightmare at One Patriot Place” - Just had a quick peek at the upcoming FA list and iof all years to be in need of a QB - OT - WR!! We used to have a guy who sounded like he was lifting man hole covers when spending dimes and nickels and now we’ve got a guy who’s ready, willing, and overly anxious to “burn some cash”. Unfortunately, this looks like a year to keep the matches away from our new head coach. I’ll try to keep the excitement to a minimum but Kirk Cousins is the #1 available QB and #2 rated FA and is being compared to Phillip Rivers. Just sayin, but given playoff records a much better comparison would be Andy Dalton. Now I’m prayin that the new HC doesn’t have any plans of “burnin” $35m+/year for another Andy D… More good news - did anyone realize (I sure didn’t) that of the 3 highest rated OT’s (all in the top-25 available players) are already on OUR team??!! Based on our O-Line play this year - “Who Knew”??!! Too bad from recent articles/rumors they both hate being on our team anyway. And now on to the WR’s. I’m sure you’ll be pleasantly surprised and shocked to hear that there are no highly rated Pat’s receivers in the bunch though I didn’t have time to search the entire 150 players! The top 4 WR’s are far better than any of our “resources” even though we do employ a “One Catch Wonder”, but I digress. Pittman and Higgins, who are the best players and choices will probably be franchised rather than “free”. Evans is closing in on 33 and from the game the other night has a tendency to drop a pass here or there - still our best bet moving forward as long as you consider 2 years at best - progress. And we can’t have a FA discussion without bringing up “OBJ”! With knees like these, why would we worry about drafting Michael Pennix??!! There is some good news in that there are LOTS of good players but mostly at positions (safeties, cb’s, edges) that are our “strengths” so maybe we should hide the matches, draft the BPA in each round to match our big 3 weaknesses (triple down if worthwhile), and spend a couple of bucks on a kicker while doing what all us Red Sox fans did growing up - “wait till next year” since it looks like “we’re on to 2025”!!

They can get their QB of the future at #3, and then get their OT and WR’s in the draft, as this a great draft at both positions. They can address depth and other needs in free agency.

They can get their QB of the future at #3, and then get their OT and WR’s in the draft, as this a great draft at both positions. They can address depth and other needs in free agency.
As long as our next QB is *not* named Cousins, and we’re spending rather than overpaying for FA’s, drafting our needs, (or making a strategic trade (H. Hooker), is the best way to go, especially this year. Oh yeah, and NO MORE track stars!

and we’re spending rather than overpaying for FA’s
Um, it was Bill (other than 2021) who refused to overpay for FAs. Didn't you hear Mayo's comment about burning the money. That screams we're going to be overpaying for a while.

Overpaying is fine, so long as it's for the right players.

Example: 2021. Judon was the right guy to overpay. Hunter Henry.. sort of was.

Jonnu Smith was the wrong guy to overpay.

Overpaying is fine, so long as it's for the right players.

Example: 2021. Judon was the right guy to overpay. Hunter Henry.. sort of was.

Jonnu Smith was the wrong guy to overpay.
Watching him last year in Atlanta, maybe he's not the one who was the wrong guy.

Um, it was Bill (other than 2021) who refused to overpay for FAs. Didn't you hear Mayo's comment about burning the money. That screams we're going to be overpaying for a while.
I believe in another post I suggested we “keep the matches away from our new Coach”!

What are the chances we can get Antoine Winfield Jr? I know everyone is super focused on the offense, but this team really needs a good safety too, and Winfield is one of the best.

I like Dalton Schultz and perhaps Calvin Ridley as realistic options on offense. OL is the biggest need, besides QB, but also the hardest to fill. Tyron Smith could work but age is an issue and you would have a hard time prying him away from Dallas. If that happens though, I think they could likely find a decent RT in the draft as it's a decent class - and some of the holdovers on the roster already (Wheatley comes to mind) might be serviceable with more time with the team.

If the team theoretically brought back Pharaoh Brown, Anfernee Jennings, Kendrick Bourne, Myles Bryant, and Mack Wilson, bring in Antoine Winfield, Dalton Schultz, Calvin Ridley, maybe Tyron Smith or Jonah Williams as your LT, and possibly a pass catching back like Austin Ekeler, then draft a QB at 3 and seek out a RT in the draft after that, that would put them in a decent spot and is within the realm of feasibility from a cap perspective.

Not so sure on that, I think people took what mayo said and overreacted to it.. he said it jokingly, of course they HAVE to spend! As Curran mentioned the roster is down to the studs right now..

What are the chances we can get Antoine Winfield Jr? I know everyone is super focused on the offense, but this team really needs a good safety too, and Winfield is one of the best.

I like Dalton Schultz and perhaps Calvin Ridley as realistic options on offense. OL is the biggest need, besides QB, but also the hardest to fill. Tyron Smith could work but age is an issue and you would have a hard time prying him away from Dallas. If that happens though, I think they could likely find a decent RT in the draft as it's a decent class - and some of the holdovers on the roster already (Wheatley comes to mind) might be serviceable with more time with the team.

If the team theoretically brought back Pharaoh Brown, Anfernee Jennings, Kendrick Bourne, Myles Bryant, and Mack Wilson, bring in Antoine Winfield, Dalton Schultz, Calvin Ridley, maybe Tyron Smith or Jonah Williams as your LT, and possibly a pass catching back like Austin Ekeler, then draft a QB at 3 and seek out a RT in the draft after that, that would put them in a decent spot and is within the realm of feasibility from a cap perspective.
Bingo! I know that 80% of the draft, FA should be and likely will geared to The offense. However I'm in agreement the defense definitely could use a FS.. Peppers is awesome, Dugger is also. However the FS is devoid right now. We need that guy badly. Also sneakily we need some depth at CB.. Jon is 30 plus injury prone, and aside from that we have some capable guys, but none on the level of gonzo. I've pitched the idea of maybe pursing a trade. Jaire Alexander would be my choice at CB.

DEFENSE
I would add Mills to your list of re-signs.
Winfield should be a top priority as a replacement for Dugger.
I suspect that a corner may be on our wish list, but it is far down the priority list for 2024.

OFFENSE
I'm fine with your choices, but I also like henry a lot.
I would choose Zeke over Ekeler. I think that he's done a fine job and wants to stay.

OT's
This a huge issue ir we don't re-sign Brown and Onwenu,
=====================================
DID I MISS YOUR DISCUSSION OF QUARTERBACKS?
We will be considering many, many QB's, almost all not named Cousins or Mayfield. We are desparate for a starting QB, After all, our draftee will likely sit for half the season.

DEFENSE
I would add Mills to your list of re-signs.
Winfield should be a top priority as a replacement for Dugger.
I suspect that a corner may be on our wish list, but it is far down the priority list for 2024.

OFFENSE
I'm fine with your choices, but I also like henry a lot.
I would choose Zeke over Ekeler. I think that he's done a fine job and wants to stay.

OT's
This a huge issue ir we don't re-sign Brown and Onwenu,
=====================================
DID I MISS YOUR DISCUSSION OF QUARTERBACKS?
We will be considering many, many QB's, almost all not named Cousins or Mayfield. We are desparate for a starting QB, After all, our draftee will likely sit for half the season.
Mills is fine with me yeah. I didn’t consider him as a key piece since he didn’t see a ton of snaps really. There are a couple other good safeties too if Winfield is out of reach - which he might be, as Tampa probably considers him priority 2 right after Baker.

Also agree generally at TE and RB… I like Henry and Zeke. I just felt like, if you are gonna spend on Henry, why not go a little higher for Schultz? If Zeke has a bigger market in 2024, why not go a little higher for the better receiving back in Ekeler? Though Ekeler is a worse runner overall, they’ll have Stevenson. But if it was Henry and Zeke back instead I’d be happy still.

I just avoided QB, because it’s really tough to make a call there. If McDaniels returns, do we consider Mac? If we don’t look at Cousins or Baker then the options are not hot. Brissett might be OK; Tannehill has lots of experience but is older and not that effective. Gardner Minshew is probably a decent option. Is Drew Lock worth consideration?

Don’t forget trades. Russell Wilson has to be moved, and Jerry Jeudy is on a fully guaranteed option year.

Take both off Denver’s hands. Add MHJ and a tackle, or Joe Alt and another of the top WRs in this class (Legette) and go for it.

Don’t forget trades. Russell Wilson has to be moved, and Jerry Jeudy is on a fully guaranteed option year.

Take both off Denver’s hands. Add MHJ and a tackle, or Joe Alt and another of the top WRs in this class (Legette) and go for it.
You might look at Wilson's contract He won't be playing for us..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back