PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Let's Talk Free Agency 2024

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mills is fine with me yeah. I didn’t consider him as a key piece since he didn’t see a ton of snaps really. There are a couple other good safeties too if Winfield is out of reach - which he might be, as Tampa probably considers him priority 2 right after Baker.

Also agree generally at TE and RB… I like Henry and Zeke. I just felt like, if you are gonna spend on Henry, why not go a little higher for Schultz? If Zeke has a bigger market in 2024, why not go a little higher for the better receiving back in Ekeler? Though Ekeler is a worse runner overall, they’ll have Stevenson. But if it was Henry and Zeke back instead I’d be happy still.

I just avoided QB, because it’s really tough to make a call there. If McDaniels returns, do we consider Mac? If we don’t look at Cousins or Baker then the options are not hot. Brissett might be OK; Tannehill has lots of experience but is older and not that effective. Gardner Minshew is probably a decent option. Is Drew Lock worth consideration?
There are lots of possible QB's, especially if Josh is running or helping to run the offense. Tannehill certainly comes to mind.

Cousins, Mayfield and Lock will be out of reach. But the rest are in play, especially if we add Josh to the staff.

We are probably willing to pay as much as others, and the QB would be the starter for at least half a year. We are certainly going to be spending on the Offense this year and next. Ours is NOT a weak team; only a weak Offense.

Denver’s going to have to eat a lot of it to unload him.
Oddly enough, I am more than fine with Denver having to eat a huge cap related **** sandwich ... they gave him that ridiculous contract right out of the gate... would serve them right.

I believe FA tackles don't look very good , whats the next option.....a trade ? (not including the draft)

Watching him last year in Atlanta, maybe he's not the one who was the wrong guy.

I agree, he showed his talent in Tennessee, and to a degree in Atlanta.

Saw this today pop up in a few spots...

Pats interested in Saquon Barkley... The guy is a good back, when healthy... but he has been asking for the moon from the Giants... Not sure want to expend that kind of money/cap space on an oft-injured running back (has played a full season twice in 6 years)...

Pats interested in Saquon Barkley... The guy is a good back, when healthy... but he has been asking for the moon from the Giants... Not sure want to expend that kind of money/cap space on an oft-injured running back (has played a full season twice in 6 years)...
Triple Zeke's contract and see if Barkley signs for $10m.

This morning Mike Reiss was answering a question about Cole Strange's surgery on X, and someone mentioned that the rumor mill has it as a patellar tendon tear, which is very debilitating and has ended careers.

If the Patriots know this, it makes signing Onwenu even more important, and then there's the possibility of having to move Onwenu back inside to RG, and also the possibility of having a huge question mark now at LG with Sow, Mafi and Andrews competing. It's not a given that Sow can play that position. Onwenu was horrible when he made the switch to LG.

Then you wokld need to trade Rhamondre and that’s just kicking Bill when he’s down.

I’d love Sneed here. Sneed and Gonzalez..whew!

No investment on defense please ... our offense is in doldrums. We need 2 OT, 2 TE and 1 WR and possibly 1 QB and also 1 running back or 2nd RB. After we are done with these we can think about defense especially CB.

No investment on defense please ... our offense is in doldrums. We need 2 OT, 2 TE and 1 WR and possibly 1 QB and also 1 running back or 2nd RB. After we are done with these we can think about defense especially CB.
I agree.

However, if we cut Jackson and don't re-sign Dugger, we'll hopefully use the Jackson money to sign a safety to replace Dugger, hopefully a free safety.

I’d love Sneed here. Sneed and Gonzalez..whew!

I would too! But, not if it costs us the ability to adress other needs (which we have) both this year and the years ahead in this rebuild.

I agree.

However, if we cut Jackson and don't re-sign Dugger, we'll hopefully use the Jackson money to sign a safety to replace Dugger, hopefully a free safety.
Antoine Winfield Jr. or Xavier McKinney.

I’d rather go lower price and less injured for another back.
We need another young 2 down and or better yet, a 3 down back to go with Rhamondre. Braelon Allen or Trey Benson have the ability ability as rookies on 1st and 2nd down (and with proper coaching), and could even have 3 down ability. We lack talented young depth behind Rhamondre (we lack depth there in-general).

Antoine Winfield Jr. or Xavier McKinney.
We have so many needs that I honestly don't think even with the surplus of cash we can do it all.

I think we will be cutting godchaux and guy as well along with Jackson. The replacements are going to be in draft or some folks in 2 -3 million aav range.

Dugger replacement will probably be someone at max of 5-7 million . If it looks like this year is going to be bad, I could see them rolling over 30 million of cap space (10% limit) to next year .

We have so many needs that I honestly don't think even with the surplus of cash we can do it all.

I think we will be cutting godchaux and guy as well along with Jackson. The replacements are going to be in draft or some folks in 2 -3 million aav range.

Dugger replacement will probably be someone at max of 5-7 million . If it looks like this year is going to be bad, I could see them rolling over 30 million of cap space (10% limit) to next year .
They do need to release Jackson. I believe he'll free up at least 10 Million in additional cap money to spend?

They do need to release Jackson. I believe he'll free up at least 10 Million in additional cap money to spend?
They will, but there is no rush. I believe that we will save over $12M. Jackson might be re-signed a much lower rate, but he will be waived.

UPDATE: the total is $14.375M of savings presuming that that the $2M 2024 bonus isn't guaranteed. So, this will happen early.
===========================================
Having $10M-$12M even going into camp isn't that unusual, especially since we have so few contracts that can be restructured to produce cap money when needed. Extensions could happen, but they are relatively rare during camp.

I just checked. The only restructure possibilities total $7.4M. Judon for $2.7M and Bentley for $.9M are fine but only total $3.6M. The other savings are from restructuring Shuster ($2.9M) and Parker ($1.0M).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back