Logan Ryan possibly moving to safety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

supafly

Eff you, Shula
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I think we've talked about this recently, but the general consensus was that he'd be taking over the "SS" role that Gregory had held down (understanding that we don't necessarily designate SS/FS).

Now, according to Karen Guregian, Logan Ryan may actually take over McCourty's position, thus moving McCourty to more of a "SS"/in the box role. This could utilize his tackling ability and also allow him to cover TEs like we saw with Graham once Talib went down in the Saints game.

I wouldn't mind Ryan and Harmon battling it out, but I don't really want to see McCourty moving once again.

To be honest, I'd much rather just draft another higher round safety in 6 weeks or so during the draft, and let he and Harmon compete for the reps opposite of McCourty's current position. I don't see the reasoning in making this a game of musical chairs myself.

Patriots may take look with Logan Ryan at safety | Boston Herald

My concern about McCourty taking on a more physical role is that his shoulder seems to be as chronically banged up in reality as Brady's is in theory.

That said, we don't know what scheme changes will accompany the changes in personnel. And this does all fit with the idea of BB putting as many "natural CBs" on the field at once as he can.

Seems to me they'd both be better at free safety. I'd rather keep McCourty there, but I admit, having a ball hawk at FS is appealing.

Of course, there's no such thing, so they can both be both at the same time.

Given that this came in 30 seconds after i said they would end up moving Browner to Safety I am going to have to stick with my original claim, although since Browner is not going to be out there until October i guess they need another option.,

Given that this came in 30 seconds after i said they would end up moving Browner to Safety I am going to have to stick with my original claim, although since Browner is not going to be out there until October i guess they need another option.,

I honestly didn't see what you said about Browner prior to posting it, Ivan.

I know it's been a popular opinion re: Browner to safety in the beginning, but I thought that had been somewhat dispelled for some reason.

Either way, it's great to have options. I'm just not one for wanting to move McCourty again.

As I said before, I'd be all for having Ryan play the other side, in a battle with Harmon and a new draft pick--if it were up to me. If there's no "difference" as some like to think, then why move McCourty in the first place? While we may not have FS/SS designations, our players certainly show some similarities to those that do, at least on some level.

I know it's been a popular opinion re: Browner to safety in the beginning, but I thought that had been somewhat dispelled for some reason.

Because a central part of his game is getting the jam on the LOS.

That said, it's easy to imagine him being the CB who mans up on a TE, McCourty's partial-game coverage of Graham notwithstanding.

I think the pats will have Ryan on the field a lot but not as a true Safety but as the #3 or #4 CB I think the pats will play a lot of one Safety with McCourty being that true over the top FS and Jamie Collins playing that SS/OLB on passing downs

It's funny I was talking to a friend last year about McCourty's transition to safety and others like Charles Woodson, rid Woodson etc etc. I suggested, partially in jest, coverage had become so important that we would see defensive back fields with 4 corners instead of 2 corners and 2 safeties. It appears that line is becoming more and more blurred.

It was dismissed because Belichick told him he was coming to New England to play cornerback.

Browner says as much in his interview, so yeah, if you take the teams word for it, not happening. I also agree with Loyko, we're all too enamored with having a Kam Chancellor after watching the SB. It isn't a neccessity, we just need someone capable of tackling and supporting the run game, the tone setters can come from anywhere, LB, Corner, DL, etc. Doesn't need to be the SS.

They would be better off moving Arrington to safety

I think we've talked about this recently, but the general consensus was that he'd be taking over the "SS" role that Gregory had held down (understanding that we don't necessarily designate SS/FS).

Now, according to Karen Guregian, Logan Ryan may actually take over McCourty's position, thus moving McCourty to more of a "SS"/in the box role. This could utilize his tackling ability and also allow him to cover TEs like we saw with Graham once Talib went down in the Saints game.

I wouldn't mind Ryan and Harmon battling it out, but I don't really want to see McCourty moving once again.

To be honest, I'd much rather just draft another higher round safety in 6 weeks or so during the draft, and let he and Harmon compete for the reps opposite of McCourty's current position. I don't see the reasoning in making this a game of musical chairs myself.

Patriots may take look with Logan Ryan at safety | Boston Herald

In fairness supa, Gregory the past 2 years has been the SS, and maybe I'm wrong and wasn't paying much attention, but I don't think he was that in the box traditional SS either.

This move is interesting. It shows while other teams want hard hitting safeties, BB would rather 4 CB's in at all times.

McCourty has elite level ability as a centre fielder in the Ed Reed mold - he makes great plays on the ball and his coverage is often so good that teams avoid him outright.

To me, it would be a nonsense to move a player from a position where he plays at a level comparable with the best in the league in order to address short-comings elsewhere.

With Revis shutting down one half of the field, we have the ability to allow McCourty to bias his centre field cover to the opposite half - helping Browner/Dennard/whoever.

I also thought Logan Ryan looked like he had real potential as the nickel back (essentially a starter in todays game) - I would expect him to relegate Arrington to dime back detail by the end of training camp.

What we need is a mixture of Harmon and/or a rookie from this years draft to step into the SS role so we don't have a merry-go-round in the defensive backfield.

Now that the deep safety only really needs to cover half or three quarters of the field, this actually makes some sense because it gives Ryan much more opportunity to make play on the ball, a skillset he's already demonstrated. It's not a strategy I'd come up with on my own and I'm uncomfortable taking McCourty away from a position he was so good at, but it does make a fair amount of sense.

I don't think it would require a huge change from McCourty.

BB spoke a while ago about how offenses are forcing safeties into uncomfortable roles, so we need more hybrid safeties who can do both, and so the distinction between roles for SS and FS isn't as pronounced.

Belichick breaks down safety roles - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Ryan is a decent tackler in his own right, and I remember seeing him on some TEs last season (Gonzalez/Atlanta is an example I remember because I was totally terrified the entire time), so it wouldn't be unprecedented.

A lot of comment here overlooking the fact that bb plays left and right safeties not strong and free safeties.

Interesting article but what strikes me most is the supposed source. Who on the staff would be telling her this type of information? I just can't picture it but the information is specific.
McCourty's range is second to none in the league and before he was moved to safety, the Pats were getting burned deep consistently.
I do believe that Ryan has enough position flexibility as we saw last year playing on the outside and in the slot that playing safety isn't out of the realm of possibility.
I guess my takeaway from the article more than anything is the talent they have now allows them for multiple schemes depending on the opponent and that we could expect to see some position responsibilities differ from one week to another or even within a game itself.

Still, I'm curious and somewhat bothered by this source.

Highly doubt Ryan plays safety

Here's why I like this. It puts the best four DBs on the field and that's not a bad thing. Ryan is probably the best ball player of our 2013 DBs but where does he stack up in the slot CB depth chart in comparison to Dennard and Arrington? With Revis on the team and the responsibility of the deeper safety nearly halved, it makes much more sense to put our best ball playing DB back there to make plays on the ball.

Just as a follow up to my "who is this source" question, the writer is in Orlando so its reasonable to assume she got this information there.
Who else is down there from the Patriots?
I've seen quotes from Bob Kraft and BB but what other coaches, if any are there. How about Jonathan? Lombardi?

I will not sleep until this mole is revealed.

If someone is going to be participating in Reiss' chat on Thursday, please ask who he has seen this writer speaking to. We will reconvene at 0600 for a debriefing.

They would be better off moving Arrington to safety

hahha.

Arrington is either a slot, or he's cut next year, he can't play outside CB, forget S.

McCourty has to stay at S. Having Ryan play S on passing downs could be a good thing. On short yardage/rushing I'd like to see Harmon on the field, and Ryan taking a seat, or McCourty getting a blow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes