PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lombardi: New Orleans was trying to get above New England to get Mac Jones

I would of been livid had that happened. My last positional player Parsons had gone off the board, both corners were gone, nothing was dropping our way. Would of been ok with any of the 3 wrs, Slater, Horn, Surtain, Parson etc and then taking Mond or Mills in the 2nd if the big 5 qbs were gone. At that point I guess Barmore would of been my pick in the first, which we were so lucky NE moved up for in the 2nd. Things really worked out well for us fans.

More to chew on, before the post-draft buzz totally fades away:

Whatever it's worth, Albert Breer reported that New Orleans was looking to jump high into the draft to pick one of the top corners.

• The Saints sniffed around on trading up for one of the draft’s top corners. My sense is they were bargain-shopping a little (I heard from a couple of teams that they weren’t going to put a third first-rounder on the table to jump from No. 28), which is why they were never particularly close on a deal. But had they gone up, I’m told they liked both Alabama’s Patrick Surtain II and South Carolina’s Horn, either of whom would have given them some flexibility with Marshon Lattimore (both the contract and his legal situation).

It would be a perfect way to wrap things up in the Bill Belichick Saga: It starts with him spurning the Jets to come to the Patriots, and ends with the Jets accidentally gifting him his second franchise QB. They would be both the schlemiel and the schlimazel of this Patriots era.

My heart dropped when I saw the trade alert at pick 14, I thought it was the Saints or the WFT trading up to jump us but it was just the jets

From the podcast:
  • NO wanted to get into the top 10 to take a CB but did not have the draft capital to do so
  • Sources on two different teams told Lombardi that then they were trying to get above 15 to take Mac Jones
  • NO had a shot at MIN's pick but the offer by NYJ was better than what NO could offer
  • MIN's pick was the only one in play between 10 and 15
  • Thus, NO had 'no' shot, lol!
So da Jete did us a favor, their trade up with MIN to take an OL meant that NO could not trade up and take Mac Jones ahead of us.

Lombardi says we now know Sean Payton, BB/Josh and Kyle Shanahan all had strong evaluations on Mac Jones, and these are some of the best QB evaluators in the league, so we should be glad we now have Mac Jones.

This all might be true...But this is still coming from the same Carnac who unequivocally stated that Jones was going #3 to SF Period, so...

duplicate

Last edited:
Whatever it's worth, Albert Breer reported that New Orleans was looking to jump high into the draft to pick one of the top corners.

• The Saints sniffed around on trading up for one of the draft’s top corners. My sense is they were bargain-shopping a little (I heard from a couple of teams that they weren’t going to put a third first-rounder on the table to jump from No. 28), which is why they were never particularly close on a deal. But had they gone up, I’m told they liked both Alabama’s Patrick Surtain II and South Carolina’s Horn, either of whom would have given them some flexibility with Marshon Lattimore (both the contract and his legal situation).

This contradicts Lombardi's version...I trust either of them only as far as I can throw them...

I would of been livid had that happened. My last positional player Parsons had gone off the board, both corners were gone, nothing was dropping our way. Would of been ok with any of the 3 wrs, Slater, Horn, Surtain, Parson etc and then taking Mond or Mills in the 2nd if the big 5 qbs were gone. At that point I guess Barmore would of been my pick in the first, which we were so lucky NE moved up for in the 2nd. Things really worked out well for us fans.

If the Pats hadn't taken Jones at 15, I think they would've gone with Jaelan Phillips. If he's healthy he's an all-pro edge defender. Still smarting that the 'Phins got him.

What if the fact is the Saints were asking about trading up and Lombardi is making a personal assumption it was for QB while Breer says it was for CB. Doesn't matter as their offering price wasn't good to move up. Also I thought they are going to roll with Winston and Hill this year.

This all might be true...But this is still coming from the same Carnac who unequivocally stated that Jones was going #3 to SF Period, so...
Sorry, but there's only one seer, soothsayer and sage, Carnac The Magnificant! Lombardi is no Carnac.

IMO it's plausible that SF did make the deal thinking they would grab Jones but looked at how much capital they had put onto the table, decided they wanted more upside potential and talked themselves into Lance. Even Shanahan is mumbling about they just wanted to get to the top of the draft before the price went up and then they would figure out exactly who they would pick.

This contradicts Lombardi's version...I trust either of them only as far as I can throw them...

Has Lombardi ever correctly predicted something that will happen with the Patriots using his supposed “inside information”? He just tells hindsight stories that can never be verified. He and Charlie Weiss have unearned reputations for being insiders. I am skeptical either has much access, and I think most of their scoops are mostly them believing they’re experts in how Bill thinks/operates and applying what they think he would do.

Has Lombardi ever correctly predicted something that will happen with the Patriots using his supposed “inside information”? He just tells hindsight stories that can never be verified. He and Charlie Weiss have unearned reputations for being insiders. I am skeptical either has much access, and I think most of their scoops are mostly them believing they’re experts in how Bill thinks/operates and applying what they think he would do.
I doubt either Lombardi or Curran has much if any access, and if they did they would lose it the minute they asserted that they had it.

Curran mentioned that back in his print media days when he was on Bill's good side all it got him was Bill taking one five minute call from him every six months or so, and his recent TV-era Felgerizing has lost him such access these days.

Getting intel from anyone other than Bill is pretty useless, he keeps his key thoughts to himself.

I do think a lot of what they are saying is based on what they think Bill would do based on years of study.

It does seem more informed to me and a little less click-baity than what we get from most media members following the Pats.

Do you have anyone you'd suggest has inside access and/or is more in tune to how Bill does business?

I don't know of any.

Here's some things Lombardi said about the recent draft:

“Just knowing how they operate, I couldn’t imagine they could get either one of Lance or Fields to a high enough point to justify trading up to get them. This is what fans don’t understand. If you have a grading system that you have to really adhere to, you’ve got to be able to say; well Lombardi says, ‘They don’t like Fields and they don’t like Lance.’ That doesn’t mean they don’t like them. What I’m saying is they don’t have them graded high enough to be able to justify them at that point in the draft.”

“I don’t think New England’s trading up to get Justin Fields,” Lombardi said. “I don’t see that. If you watch his throwing motion and you watch Tom Brady throw, they’re two different throwing motions. I don’t think they’re ever merging together.”
“Do they like Justin Fields? I don’t think so. Do they like Trey Lance? I’m not sure, I don’t know,” he said back then. “Just knowing how they operate, I couldn’t imagine they could get either one of Lance and Fields to a high enough point to justify trading up to get them.”

So, as above, at that point in time he thought SF was going to take MJ with #3 and thought NE would not trade up to get Lance or Fields.

In reality, SF took Lance, but NE did not trade up to get Fields like many here were thinking/hoping they would.

NE could have made the CHI deal, but instead they sat and waited for Jones to fall to them, presumably because the grades they had on all of the above didn't merit committing next year's #1 like CHI did.

So, half right, half wrong, pick your favorite way to look at things.

To me, what makes Lombardi interesting is he explains not just what he is thinking, but why he is thinking it.

Far more interesting/useful than Felger telling his audience the night of the Jones draft that "BB got horny for a QB".

There's a very obvious reason for the Saints to lie about this, which is that they've allegedly promised Taysom Hill and Jameis Winston they'll have a good shot to start this year, so acknowledging you tried to draft a QB would be idiotic. I can't imagine the Saints were actually willing to trade away future drafts to grab a cornerback when there are other reports they were trying to snag a QB. The obvious need for them is a QB and that's the only position that justifies the cost...have you seen a team trade from #28 to the top 10 to draft a positional player? Yeah, me neither.

For once, the Jets did something useful, while Jets' fans slobbered all over Zach Wilson's mother.

Actually, the Jets fans had other things to focus on other than Zach Wilson's Mom. This is from Fitzy, I'm afraid the video has a bit of cursing from a Jets fan (about the selection of Mac Jones), so be advised. Despite the cursing, I admit it gave me a bit of a chuckle. :rofl:

Does it? I thought Lombardi reported that the Saints were trying to trade up for a CB and when they were gone, they tried to trade up for Jones.

Yeah that was the position I also heard they were targeting...Maybe that changed after both Surtain & Horn were gone...

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back