PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Love our draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate that move but would support it because

A) Belichick has 1000x more information than me ( or anyone else liking or disliking the move)

B) Belichick is much more capable of dissecting that information than me (or anyone else giving an amateur opinion)

C) the odds of it working out are better than I suspect if B.B. believes in it

So why ever express an opinion? :eek:

Seriously. o_O

So you think that in order to have an opinion you need to think you are more knowledgeable than a genius on the topic?

Yeah... that's what he said.

1474.gif

LMAO!! Thank you, Brother K, for nailing that!!
jester.gif
smiley_headbanger.gif
jester.gif

God love ya, Andy, but you are working in an alternative universe!!
jester.gif

I'd love to see a draft thread... captain stone versus Andy Johnson...

First, captain stone...

And the response...

Holy crap Rover. Too funny man.

The posts below should leave little doubt why this thread was started. ;)
It fulfills two of the OP's fundamental needs in one shot, to always have knee pads on for BB and to disagree with anyone else whenever possible.

Andy does come from a unique tangent and can be argumentative but the dude knows football. IOW, he does belong in the "in bb we trust" camp but he doesn't follow BB blindly. Hope that makes sense.

It is possible to get every Pick right...relative to the value of the Pick.

In fact, there is no excuse for not getting every Pick right.

Whether or not the Odds pay off ~ and they're usually long ~ is beside the point.

The fact of life is that when the odds do not pay off, though, it still goes down as a bust of a pick. You can rationalize why the gamble was made, but the results are the results, and it was not the pick that should have been made. Of course that is always with 20-20 hindsight, which so much of us seem to have. Nobody has 20-20 vision looking into the future. NE's staff is better than most. The Jets and the Browns are like those old Mr. Magoo cartoons, if you are of a certain age like I am, except with way more crashes.

Wow. :eek:

Your a very smart guy, Brother Palm. I'm shocked that I gotta break this down for you.

Here's a theoretical to simplify things, theoretical because it's not realistic, but it should serve to make the point: You can bet $1 on whatever, and you've scientifically figured out that you will be guaranteed to win and double your money 2 times out'f every 3.

01 ~ Surely you can see that making that bet is the right move exactly 100% of the time.
02 ~ Does that make the 33% of the times you lose your $1 a mistake?

By your logic, the answer would be "yes." o_O

03 ~ The "fact of life", as you oh so condescendingly put it
spock.gif
~ while ironically being dead wrong
crazy.gif
~ is that you failed to recognize that even though we're talking about a subjective situation, which means that there's obviously never an absolute right or wrong when the pick is made, the same principle as I just described still applies: One cannot know the particulars of how the future will shake out. One can only make one's best judgement based on what one knows when the pick is made. Therefore, to suggest that what transpires afterwards affects the quality of the pick ~ even give that that quality is subjective ~ is ~ forgive me for putting it so plainly ~ outrageously foolish.

Last edited:
The fact of life is that when the odds do not pay off, though, it still goes down as a bust of a pick. You can rationalize why the gamble was made, but the results are the results, and it was not the pick that should have been made. Of course that is always with 20-20 hindsight, which so much of us seem to have. Nobody has 20-20 vision looking into the future. NE's staff is better than most. The Jets and the Browns are like those old Mr. Magoo cartoons, if you are of a certain age like I am, except with way more crashes.

Wow. :eek:

Your a very smart guy, Brother Palm. I'm shocked that I gotta break this down for you.

Here's a theoretical to simplify things, theoretical because it's not realistic, but it should serve to make the point: You can bet $1 on whatever, and you've scientifically figured out that you will be guaranteed to win and double your money 2 times out'f every 3.

01 ~ Surely you can see that making that bet is the right move exactly 100% of the time.
02 ~ Does that make the 33% of the times you lose your $1 a mistake?

By your logic, the answer would be "yes." o_O

03 ~ The "fact of life", as you oh so condescendingly put it
spock.gif
~ while ironically being dead wrong
crazy.gif
~ is that you failed to recognize that even though we're talking about a subjective situation, which means that there's obviously never an absolute right or wrong when the pick is made, the same principle as I just described still applies: One cannot know the particulars of how the future will shake out. One can only make one's best judgement based on what one knows when the pick is made. Therefore, to suggest that what transpires afterwards affects the quality of the pick ~ even give that that quality is subjective ~ is ~ forgive me for putting it so plainly ~ outrageously foolish.

An example of this would be the Dominique Easley pick, a few years ago, that turned out so badly: Easley was generally considered a Top 10 Talent, and if he'd overcome his 2 ACL Injuries and had a 12 year career, he might've been a Hall of Famer.

Downside Risk? We saw it, and we lived with its consequences.

But the Risk was known beforehand. It was a calculated risk that didn't work out...But if it had worked out, is the same "bad pick" suddenly a "great pick" because it came up heads instead of tails...even though the incoming circumstances were the same, either way?
39.gif

Obviously: No. The Pick, whatever one's opinion of it at the time, was either good, bad, or Par Value based only on its merits the day it was made.

Ensuing events provide supporting arguments for or against one's views...But whether a Prospect turns out to be Tom Brady, Ryan Leaf, or somewhere in between, it's beyond insanity to suggest that these things could've been known beforehand.

...unless one is Nostradamas, of course. ;)

Here we go again...

The point that the faithful Homers seem to Always miss, and the one that I and others seem to have to Always make, is that those draft picks, of which Bill unfortunately makes a habit of using at least one from every year, who do indeed become crap players are the very same players WHOM NO OTHER ****ING TEAM IN THE ENTIRE ****ING LEAGUE WOULD EVER ****ING MAKE AT THAT ****ING TIME.

Had the Emperor Without Clothes simply played the chalk (other people & organizations get paid for scouting too) and drafted the truly Best Players Available based on talent, need & fit,
we would've been far, far better-off with our roster and more importantly with our results.

But our little Napoleon, with the smallest coaching staff, smallest front office staff, and smallest scouting staff in the league, the vast majority of which consistes of pencil-pushing, sycophantic dweebs from whom never is heard a discouraging word and whose football experience consists of places like the Colorado School of Mines, always wants to ****ing show the entire world just how ****ing smart he is by going "Outside the Box." What happens of course EVERY SINGLE ****ING TIME he goes "Outside the Box" is that those "Outside the Box" picks end up Inside a Dumpster.

In conclusion ladies & gentlemen, allow me to simply add:
**** Bill Belichick and his selection of a ****ING OVER-DRAFTED ****ING RB when HIS ****ING DEFENSE IS A ****ING DISGRACE.

Here we go again...

The point that the faithful Homers seem to Always miss, and the one that I and others seem to have to Always make, is that those draft picks, of which Bill unfortunately makes a habit of using at least one from every year, who do indeed become crap players are the very same players WHOM NO OTHER ****ING TEAM IN THE ENTIRE ****ING LEAGUE WOULD EVER ****ING MAKE AT THAT ****ING TIME.

Had the Emperor Without Clothes simply played the chalk (other people & organizations get paid for scouting too) and drafted the truly Best Players Available based on talent, need & fit,
we would've been far, far better-off with our roster and more importantly with our results.

But our little Napoleon, with the smallest coaching staff, smallest front office staff, and smallest scouting staff in the league, the vast majority of which consistes of pencil-pushing, sycophantic dweebs from whom never is heard a discouraging word and whose football experience consists of places like the Colorado School of Mines, always wants to ****ing show the entire world just how ****ing smart he is by going "outside the box." What happens of course EVERY SINGLE ****ING TIME he goes "outside the box" is that those "outside the box" picks end up inside a dumpster.

**** Bill Belichick and his selection of a ****ING RB when HIS ****ING DEFENSE IS A ****ING DISGRACE.

brqE1.gif

Now that... THAT... is a rant.

Two tremendous picks, plug and play players for TB12.., It's defense and Mason Rudolph tonight....

Here we go again...

But our little Napoleon, with the smallest coaching staff, smallest front office staff, and smallest scouting staff in the league, the vast majority of which consistes of pencil-pushing, sycophantic dweebs from whom never is heard a discouraging word and whose football experience consists of places like the Colorado School of Mines, always wants to ****ing show the entire world just how ****ing smart he is by going "Outside the Box." What happens of course EVERY SINGLE ****ING TIME he goes "Outside the Box" is that those "Outside the Box" picks end up Inside a Dumpster.

**** Bill Belichick and his selection of a ****ING OVER-DRAFTED ****ING RB when HIS ****ING DEFENSE IS A ****ING DISGRACE.

Find me a single mock draft that had your boy Kolton Miller going 15th overall, then you may proclaim with certainty the intentions of 31 other teams.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it just still simply amazes me that a 1st round can go like it did (absolutely nothing like anyone predicted) but they just KNOW when players are going to be drafted.

What happens of course EVERY SINGLE ****ING TIME he goes "Outside the Box" is that those "Outside the Box" picks end up Inside a Dumpster.

Cool, you just said that Sebastian Vollmer and Logan Mankins belonged inside a dumpster! And Duron Harmon, and Matt Slater, and Matt Cassel, and....

I've done the math before, Captain. If you compare the success of Patriots picks that were "reaches" by consensus rankings vs. "steals," THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE. Your claim that BB picking against consensus = disaster is just plain not true. It has no predictive power either way.

Here we go again...

I'm a UGA fan and I love the kid as a player but I still thought what about the defense. Although I agree with you that a lot of the board would defend any pick you've done to the Felger realm of any pick is going to suck. If they still grab Hubbard or somebody like that at 43 I'll be liking this pick a lot more.

Here we go again...

I shouldn't have gotten excited about having four picks lol.

I think Wynn will be a mason replacement. This idea of him being a tackle'a ludicrous. Didn't like the Michel pick either. They can get a RB later in the draft.

Here we go again...

Yes our franchise would be so much better if Bill Belichick just did what people like you and Mel Kiper think he should.
I dint know why we have had to endure 18 years of failure because Belichick doesn’t realize he is a moron and should let a message board make decisions for him.
Bring back bobby Grier.

Yes our franchise would be so much better if Bill Belichick just did what people like you and Mel Kiper think he should.
I dint know why we have had to endure 18 years of failure because Belichick doesn’t realize he is a moron and should let a message board make decisions for him.
Bring back bobby Grier.

His defense gave up 41 points in the super bowl. Obviously the defense needs some work. We could use a LB that can play in space. Hightower better stay healthy now or it will be a disaster.

His defense gave up 41 points in the super bowl. Obviously the defense needs some work. We could use a LB that can play in space. Hightower better stay healthy now or it will be a disaster.

There are a ton of quality prospects left and the Patriots have an early pick today. OL and RB were big needs and will go a very long way toward helping Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents