PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Man vs. Zone question

NovaScotiaPatsFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Hey all, in my never ending quest to try to learn more about the Xs and Os of our beloved game I've got a question.

So I know that motion is used to show the offense whether the D is in man or zone, so if the defender follows the motion guy they're in man. But I've seen times where the defender starts to move with the offensive player but then stops and doesn't cross the mid part of the field. So, does this denote zone and the defender is handing off responsibility to one of their teammates?

Thanks all!

And I've always wondered why the defense doesn't bluff, with a defender following the motion guy as if it were man, but then on the snap immediately dropping into zone.

Hey all, in my never ending quest to try to learn more about the Xs and Os of our beloved game I've got a question.

So I know that motion is used to show the offense whether the D is in man or zone, so if the defender follows the motion guy they're in man. But I've seen times where the defender starts to move with the offensive player but then stops and doesn't cross the mid part of the field. So, does this denote zone and the defender is handing off responsibility to one of their teammates?

Thanks all!

Yes, indicates zone.

Last edited:
And I've always wondered why the defense doesn't bluff, with a defender following the motion guy as if it were man, but then on the snap immediately dropping into zone.

It's been done but IMO creates more issues that far outweigh the benefit of temporarily fooling the QB who will know within seconds. You're forced to shift around multiple positions to fill in the vacant zone (because the shadowing defender can't just return after the snap), and this not only not puts players in their optimal positions, but opens them up to mismatches.

Might work in split coverages (mix of man and zone). Don't think there is any one right answer on this.

That's just my take on it.

Last edited:

Thanks all!
If it’s zone he isn’t really handing off a responsibility because in zone you are only responsible for the receiver when he comes into your zone. The “pass off” is after the snap where the receiver crosses from one zone to another.
What you are referring to is most likely realigning based upon the strength of the formation changing.
The zone assignments vary depending upon how the offense lines up.

Because the guy following the receiver would have just vacated his zone. To compensate and get players in position to cover the entire field you would have to shift thereby giving away the trick.

If an offense has twins left and moves a receiver to the other side of the ball, safeties will roll toward the strong side and box players on newly weak side will adjust their positioning based on coverage priorities changing.

You'll often see motion away from an unbalanced line in the running game for example. In those instances, the point of motion is to bring edge defenders closer to the ball and give blockers better angles. You might see a play changed before the snap if motion doesn't create a numbers advantage or angle advantage for the offense.

Unbalanced lines have become increasingly popular in the NFL. Motion can also get defenders leaning or cheating and then you'll see a motion man double back at the snap for a shovel pass. Lot of different options, not just in the passing game. Offenses want to fool defenses and vice versa. Flow, flow, flow.

Great question by the way.

Brady used Edelman as the motion man 99% of the time because it created major headaches for the D. Edelman was nasty coming off the line, but impossible to stop when coming out of the stack or off motion, and he could read what the D was giving just as well as Brady and knew right where to go.

I recall reading someplace that the Pats have used motion this year quite a bit less than they did historically. Anyone seen the numbers?

I recall reading someplace that the Pats have used motion this year quite a bit less than they did historically. Anyone seen the numbers?

Yes, that's true and the reason is fairly obvious: a lot of new players with new, and different skill sets.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back