PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2024 QB/PTP Thread

Great question:

JJ McCarthy as the Washington QB definitely doesn’t beat powerful and talented Oregon twice.

Oregon is going to thrash a lot of Big Ten teams this upcoming season.

Great question:

JJ McCarthy as the Washington QB definitely doesn’t beat powerful and talented Oregon twice.

Oregon is going to thrash a lot of Big Ten teams this upcoming season.

It is a great video, makes you smile, but these guys are bordering on clowning around. No real analysis of any type. Broad, non detailed, generalizations that are fun to laugh about, but do not predict which QBs are going to bust. Somehow they failed to mention that Penix had two ACLs on the same knee which means he is playing on one leg. Amazing what Penix does on one leg, but with the Pats OL, Penix will never be able to scramble on that one leg. Hard pass, but Penix might be great with a team that has an OL.

1. In the first clip it is obviously Cover Zero. Any college QB should recognize that - it is obvious. No special ability to "read the defense" on that 3rd and 13 play. Notice that the RB on Nix's left takes off to block on the right when there are two rushers coming from the left. Nix does not make sure his RB is picking up one of the two free runners from the left side as the line shifts right. Then it becomes a "school yard" scramble play to dive for a 1st down. That will never translate to the NFL.

Baldy says that Nix goes to the line to make sure they have the right play in place and then his RB, standing next to him, immediately does the wrong thing.

2. On the 2nd play, he hangs in the pocket well and then scrambles well. There is an open reciever across the middle in front of him but maybe he wanted to get the ball into the endzone. On the scramble he nearly runs out of bounds and then jumps as he throws back across his body and the ball floats. Again this will never translate to the NFL.

3. On the 3rd play, he did well, but again sends his RB out to the left instead of keeping him in to block the free runner. Not sure why. Nix deliberately sent his RB out to the left at the last minute.

Overall it looks like "school yard" scrambling and chucking to me. I am not a Penix fan due to his injuries, but watch him in the pocket. Penix is steady and calm. Watch Maye, again he is steady and calm. JJ McCarthy is under control executing the play that was called. I perfer any of those three.

Joe Milton is worth our fifth pick?

"There is so much to like about Bo Nix"... And the extra draft picks coming with him too!
On the home page guys are fretting that if we trade with Minnesota, we’ll lose out on JJ Mac. Then they think we’ll be stuck with Penix.

Bo Nix is the forgotten man in this equation. Guy looks squeaky clean. Married the beauteous Auburn cheerleader, Izzy Smoke.

In fact, Bo Nix is giving off Bobby Orr vibes.

How do those numbers compare to a great QB? What were the numbers for Mahomes, Allen, and Herbert coming out of college? Otherwise I have no idea if the whole class is high or all low.

Yep. The tape doesn’t lie. The OL at USC was Bad News Bears bad. And Rattler fought through it.

Random thought thinking about guys like BYoung, Milfson, Howell, Mac, and Zap who had horrible protection. I loosely alluded to this in my earlier post regarding HoF QBs and their 1st years... But how the heck did Steve Young (all actual-self-confirmed 6'0" of him) overcome 1st year: 1-4, 52.2%, 3TD, 8INT; 2nd year: 2-12, 53.7%, 8INT, 13INT to become a 1st time PBer at 31yrs and eventually get to the HoF. With nonstop sports coverage nowadays, since it seems to be more "Not For Long," I wonder if he would've ever made in in today's NFL, where someone is seemingly discarded after a handful of bad starts. I'm usually a patient guy, but I lost it for Mac in the 1st couple of games last season, but that's just as an outsider not anywhere near the trenches (or someone who's ever experienced said trenches).

Funny that a lot of people are already anointing CJ Stroud as a fantastic pick, but he had the same number of wins as Mac his 1st season. (Yes, I know it's not just wins... He looked really good.) I guess this is why I watch... for the unfolding drama.

Last edited:
Spencer Rattler is going to show this draft process is crap. He will outperform the top QBs taken, Williams, Daniels, and Maye.

Spencer Rattler=Brett Favre.

If we don’t trade back, maybe twice, and draft Williams, Maye, or Mac—this will be a missed opportunity that fans will rue.

We should only draft the following:

Spencer Rattler
Michael Penix
Bo Nix
Joe Milton

Stay away from the other hyped up prospects

There, said my peace.

Spencer Rattler is going to show this draft process is crap. He will outperform the top QBs taken, Williams, Daniels, and Maye.

Spencer Rattler=Brett Favre.

If we don’t trade back, maybe twice, and draft Williams, Maye, or Mac—this will be a missed opportunity that fans will rue.

We should only draft the following:

Spencer Rattler
Michael Penix
Bo Nix
Joe Milton

Stay away from the other hyped up prospects

There, said my peace.
I would not be surprised by this at all tbh

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes