PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mangini admits to illegal videotaping (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mangini admits to illegal videotaping

To me, the next big question is, did they violate the spirit of the law? In other words, is Mangini telling the truth by claming they only taped their own team? Because if that is true, people will still argue that what we did was cheating and what they did was not, because we taped the opposing coaches signals. Stay tuned ...

Only way to find out is for the NFL to seize their tapes.

I vote for waterboarding.

I think what you people are forgetting to see is that there is a difference. Ill try and expalin it to you pee brain pat fans.

The jets did not have a camera on the side lines filming the pats coaches signals.

THE PATS DID!

Teams use game footage to review the game and learn defense and offense game planning. Theres no difference from getting pictures taken from the coaches box and having them faxed down to the players on the side lines.

You can take that article for what its worth but the jets did not do what the pats tried doing. AND THATS CHEATING

"The jets did not have a camera on the side lines filming the pats coaches signals."

If you really believe that, you're a friggin' fool. Oh, I get it, if Eric denies it, it must be so. So who is a pea brain?

Hey pee brain it doesnt matter where the camera was placed it matters what they we're filming. YOU JUST DONT GET IT!

WRONG! Filming signals is not even in the rule...go read it a** h*le!

Forgive me if i'm wrong here, but Mangini said if a team allows them to record, they will let that team do the same.

So assuming what he says is true, we let NYJ record out of the designated area last season. Why, when we did the same as them did they snitch?

By the way the expression is "pea brain", not "pee brain", pea brain. :rolleyes: Although certainly both forms might apply to you.

ROTFLMAO! That was funny!

i kind of like pee brain better but your right. also you guys are right all teams collect data on coordinators it is the location that matters

The Rule

NFL rules state "no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game." They also say all video for coaching purposes must be shot from locations "enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead."

The Admission

"What we do every away game is tape our team from both end zones, whenever it's possible. We always ask for permission to do that. Usually it's granted, provided there is a physical space to do that, it's to get the same angle you get in practice. Anybody that asks us to do it, we extend the same courtesy. It's pretty common, one way or the other, depending on how teams like to like at their game tape. That's really what it was." -- Eric Mangini

The Conclusion

It is against NFL rules to tape from any location that isn't "enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead." The Jets have admitted to taping in violation of that rule. The opposing team cannot give its consent to allow the opposing team to break this rule, any more than a fellow motorist at an intersection can give me consent to run a red light.

Next Steps

The League should seize and review all Jets tapes obtained in violation of the rules. The Jets should be penalized their 2nd and 3rd round draft choices next year and fined $250k. Mangini should be fined $500k. The tapes should be reviewed by Goodell to determine if they reveal that the Jets were in fact stealing signals, and released to ESPN as the Pats' tapes were.

Yes, I know there are other threads but I wanted to spell it out. And put a more accurate name on the topic. :D

Wow! Manjudas just stabbed another guy in the back and this time it is his buddy Tannebaum. He basically made Tannenbaum look like a liar. From Jay Glazer's column two and a half months ago:

But while the NFL front office is trying to move past this, more subplots continue to stir throughout league circles. The best rumor that was brought to light? Sources said that the Patriots caught the Jets videotaping at Foxboro last season but rather than turn the case over to the league, they simply shut it down during the game.

In fact, one league source confirmed this accusation but since the Patriots didn't go to the league, there is no evidence to support it. Those close to the Pats insist this isn't sour grapes and it in fact happened, although there's no actual tape or visual proof.

When contacted about the latest bizarre tale, Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum responded with an emphatic, "absolutely no truth to that whatsoever! Completely false!"

In addition, Commissioner Roger Goodell told FOX Sports that such an accusation has not been brought to his attention.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7256380

So did they tape from the endzone as Mangini claims or did they not and not get kicked out as Tannebaum?

BTW, to Mike Florio's credit, he is all over the hypocracy and double speak from the Jets' organization.

Hey pee brain it doesnt matter where the camera was placed it matters what they we're filming. YOU JUST DONT GET IT!

I'm guessing this is intentional play-stupid provocation. "What" is immaterial, it's solely about "where."

I think what you people are forgetting to see is that there is a difference. Ill try and expalin it to you pee brain pat fans.

The jets did not have a camera on the side lines filming the pats coaches signals.

THE PATS DID!

Teams use game footage to review the game and learn defense and offense game planning. Theres no difference from getting pictures taken from the coaches box and having them faxed down to the players on the side lines.

You can take that article for what its worth but the jets did not do what the pats tried doing. AND THATS CHEATING

Till the Comish asks for and reviews the tapes we don't know what the jets were taping. Just because you say they they were taping the game doesn't make it so. With zoom function on modern cameras you can focus close up on what ever you choose. Take that from a "pee brain pat fan" to a sh*t for brains jets fan.

No violation here...The Jets employ specially made "Anti-Suckage" filters which block out opposing players and coaches signaling defensive play calls.

The filters seem to be ineffective against Miami though...

Exactly. Which is precisely what Goodell should do. Now we find out if he really has integrity. Some people claim that because he once worked for the Jets he is in their pockets. I don't buy that argument, any more than I would buy the argument that Mangini is in Kraft's pocket because he used to work for the Patriots. If anything, Goodell should be bending over backwards to avoid the appearance of partiality and scald the Jets asses for breaking the letter of the same law that we broke, as well as lying about it afterwards.

What I find interesting is that Tannenbaum said that this is "FALSE".
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
TANNENBAUM PREVIOUSLY DENIED VIDEOTAPING

So the Jets admit that they were videotaping the Patriots in 2006. But the Jets now claim that the Patriots approved of the activity.

As if the Pats would approve of any proposed act by Jets management and coaches other than mass suicide.

But the notion that the Jets spied on the Patriots in 2006 isn't something new. Jay Glazer of FOX mentioned the rumors in this regard in October.

Said Glazer at the time: "Sources said that the Patriots caught the Jets videotaping at Foxboro[ugh] last season but rather than turn the case over to the league, they simply shut it down during the game.

"In fact, one league source confirmed this accusation but since the Patriots didn't go to the league, there is no evidence to support it. Those close to the Pats insist this isn't sour grapes and it in fact happened, although there's no actual tape or visual proof."

Glazer also got a quote from Jets G.M. Mike Tannebaum, who said "absolutely no truth to that whatsoever! Completely false!"

Hmmmm.

Absolutely no truth? Completely false? Based on the team's own admissions to Newsday, Tannenbaum's dictionary must contain some alternative definitions of those terms.

Very interesting indeed. Not for nothing, but it would have been better if the Jets just said NOTHING. Why feed the media vultures?

Somehow I get the feeling that at this very moment there is a dumpster with smoke coming out of it at some abandoned construction site in northern New Jersey and what's burning is a set of plastic cannisters bearing green logos barely visible that read "Property of NYJ."

Somehow I get the feeling that at this very moment there is a dumpster with smoke coming out of it at some abandoned construction site in northern New Jersey and what's burning is a set of plastic cannisters bearing green logos barely visible that read "Property of NYJ."
:D Yup. Someday they'll find their half-melted, scorched remains alongside Jimmy Hoffa's body.

I am guessing he is talking about the high up game film stuff where they shoot all 22 players on the field to break it down during the week. I'm pretty sure all teams do this. I bet if you look up on Sunday, you will see somebody doing it for the Pats too.

ESPN: Jets taped Pats' game last year, Mangini says it was all legal

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3151217

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- The spy games between the New York Jets and New England Patriots began last season.

The Jets were caught videotaping at Gillette Stadium last season and the Patriots had that New York employee removed from the area, according to published reports Wednesday. Jets coach Eric Mangini said his team received permission to film behind both end zones during the playoff game in January.

"We taped the game is what we taped, and we taped end-zone copy of the game, and we tape a double-end zone, which is standard operating procedure for us," Mangini said Wednesday. "We request that every single road game, and it's usually granted if physically it's possible. And when people request it from us, we do the same thing: We grant it."

Mangini maintained the Jets did nothing wrong and had filmed at New England during the regular season without incident. It was nothing like what the Patriots did earlier this season, when a New England employee was caught taping New York's defensive signals and punished by the league.

"We do it every time we go on the road," Mangini repeated. "We ask for permission to do it. It's within the league rules, and when people ask us to do it, we grant it, as well."

Re: ESPN: Jets taped Pats' game last year, Mangini says it was all legal

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3151217

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- The spy games between the New York Jets and New England Patriots began last season.

The Jets were caught videotaping at Gillette Stadium last season and the Patriots had that New York employee removed from the area, according to published reports Wednesday. Jets coach Eric Mangini said his team received permission to film behind both end zones during the playoff game in January.

"We taped the game is what we taped, and we taped end-zone copy of the game, and we tape a double-end zone, which is standard operating procedure for us," Mangini said Wednesday. "We request that every single road game, and it's usually granted if physically it's possible. And when people request it from us, we do the same thing: We grant it."

Mangini maintained the Jets did nothing wrong and had filmed at New England during the regular season without incident. It was nothing like what the Patriots did earlier this season, when a New England employee was caught taping New York's defensive signals and punished by the league.

"We do it every time we go on the road," Mangini repeated. "We ask for permission to do it. It's within the league rules, and when people ask us to do it, we grant it, as well."
That article is a whitewash. It doesn't challenge anything Mangini says, it doesn't say that taping from anywhere in the stadium is prohibited unless it is enclosed by walls, etc.

FYI I wrote to the guy at Newsweek and sent him the link to the photos of the Jets employee filming on the sidelines. He wrote back after seeing them. This could get good.

Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents