PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mankins and Seabass participate in full pads practice today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't realize our standards were so high, that a rookie who has done fabulously all year, could lose his job because of one missed assignment.

Sorry, SeaBass has been terrible this year. Probably because of the injury, but who is to say he will be 100% healthy this week? Last time he came back from the injury, he was flat out terrible. If you want to get him a few snaps this week to get him back into the thick of things at RT fine, but Soldier should be the starter IMO.

LOL....and some of these same people aren't ready to call ron brace a bust

LOL....and some of these same people aren't ready to call ron brace a bust

So you're saying the people who aren't ready to call Ron Brace a bust are the same people who think Vollmer should start because Solder whiffed and almost got Brady killed?

I guess that makes sense in some parallel universe.

Vollmer, healthy and on his game, is a better player than Solder. If Vollmer's back holds up, I look for him to be rotating in, as opposed to having either him or Solder getting 100% of the snaps at RT, because Vollmer's probably going to take time to get back up to speed, and the team will continue taking it carefully.

Last edited:
good news about Seabass, excellent news about logan

i would still prob start solder at RT anyways though, why fix something that isnt broken?

This will be interesting to see. Solder has experience against Miller and has fared well. Maybe Vollmer only plays RT in the 3TE package.

Via 98.5 via Ian Rappaport.

(edit) this is also reported on his twitter account

That's great.

Can they rush the quaterback?

I don't suppose Vollmer's back injury had anything to do with that.

I don't care what the reason was. I'm sure injury played a part in his poor performance, but if he was deemed healthy enough to play in those games he sucked, I don't see why that would be any different this time. Solder has played regularly and has been in better form, I see no reason to put Vollmer back in the lineup.

I doubt Vollmer gets a lot of playing time, but maybe there's a chance to get him in a few times and get Solder in as third TE. Mix it up.

Definitely helps to have the depth, given that there is a rule that says when Solder is the third TE he has to sit out a snap before going back to tackle.

So the tweets a few days ago about a torn meniscus for Logan must have been BS. That's good news, and I had been writing off Seebass for thr postseason. Guess not!

:rocker:

I don't care what the reason was. I'm sure injury played a part in his poor performance, but if he was deemed healthy enough to play in those games he sucked, I don't see why that would be any different this time. Solder has played regularly and has been in better form, I see no reason to put Vollmer back in the lineup.

Because, quite simply, if his back injury has cleared up enough he's the superior player. There's really nothing more to it than that.

Agreed. Vollmer has inspired no confidence this year. Start Solder.

This seems like as good a place to put this as any.

I was just reading the NYTimes's Fifth Down blog, with Judy Battista taking reader questions. This one was about post-season practices:

Q. Do the teams with byes have to adhere to a limited practice rule as in the regular season? Because teams coming off byes this year did not fare that well. –Bobby, New York City.

A. I had to check with the league office about this because I didn’t know the answer, which is that teams are allowed one padded practice per each playoff week. The teams also do not have to give the players all the time off during the bye week of the playoffs that they do during the regular season.

I'm sure there are some here who already know this, but maybe others who don't (like me). I thought it was interesting you do get one padded practice per playoff week — I believe that's more than you get in regular season.

What I'm nervous about is that I think Denver will install the same defensive gameplan they did against Oakland and bring Miller inside and align him off the A or B gap and bring pressure up the middle. That's been Brady's kryptonite as we all know too well.

Actually, Brady's kryptonite has been pressure up the A gap using DL. If it's a blitzer, he'll see it and audible into a play where a RB or a TE can burn them. If they're getting pressure at NT, that's a bad sign. Hopefully, Connolly can hold up.

Because, quite simply, if his back injury has cleared up enough he's the superior player. There's really nothing more to it than that.

Indeed. He's practiced before and his back has still been bad. Hopefully the time off has allowed it to heal so he isn't blocking the likes of Von Miller or Dumervill with a bad back.

One of the biggest mistake us average Joe make is discounting the effect of injury or sharpness on player ability at this level. For us, it's no big deal we think. My back's a little wonky, leg's a little hurt. Haven't played in weeks. No biggie. Put me in coach, I'm ready to play and all...

NFL players are world class athletes, the top 0.0001% right side of the human performance curve. You know, that part tailing waaaay off to the right so far that it almost looks like a flat line. Past us Schelps. Past the top players of the NCAA, the XFL -snicker-, the CFL. Past everybody who almost made it, or just can't cut it anymore in the NFL. But that's the mistake, and incidentally why so many people don't make it to the NFL at all. It's not a flat line at all. When you scope down to the end of the curve where NFL level players reside. It's a triangle. A wide one. Where even a minor injury or performance hit (eg. inactivity, mental focus, preparation) quickly knocks and elite player back and to the left, back and to the left, and into just good, ok, JAG, or even JAG minus (ie. adios señor, welcome to obscurity) territory.

So do we take that risk? Make that bet? In a playoff game? Playoffs?!? Playof... ahem, I say no. The odds are stacked against you. Unless he's 100% game ready, and ideally, recently game tested to make 100% sure (which is impossible and the reason for this thread), I go with the known quantity. Same would apply for Mankins all things being equal. But in that case, I think we know BB mostly kept him out for precautionary reasons. Playing Seabass, although a favorite of mine, is too dicey.

Luckily we don't have to pick Seabass or Solder. We have both hopefully -knock wood-. This week BB can test his readiness, prepare him for the playoffs, and use for depth in case injury strikes. Then when he proves he's playing back to his normal far far far far far right level, plug that monsta' SOB back in!

Last edited:
Definitely helps to have the depth, given that there is a rule that says when Solder is the third TE he has to sit out a snap before going back to tackle.

So the tweets a few days ago about a torn meniscus for Logan must have been BS. That's good news, and I had been writing off Seebass for thr postseason. Guess not!

BB buddy Casserly is the one who said on CBS Sunday that Mankins was 50-50 with a torn meniscus. We'll see; one of the writers today said both Mankins and Vollmer went through drills without noticeable limping, FWIW.

Generally, with today's medical achievements

Meniscus = arthroscopic surgery = very quick return

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back