PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marcus Cannon traded to Texans

I like it a lot. The value difference in the picks is the equivalent of a 5th rounder. Not bad for a guy we probably would have cut.

Inspiring guy. I wish him well in TX.

Regards,
Chris

I like having that high 4th. As teams reset their respective boards we’re now near the top to grab a player who may have slipped.
Agree, that early 4th will be viewed more like a 3rd if we trade it. If we pick there, then to start out day 3 with the 3rd or 4th pick will present some opportunities. Plus we will have ended day 2 with a pick at 96. Love it.

yup we sign a vet RT to a one year contract to replace Cannon, a use of about $4M of cap room.

There might be no cap loss in this replacement.

So replacing Cannon w Brown = net gain of: 5 years in age & some draft capital tbd

Makes sense since Onwenu played like an All Pro at right tackle and we have Trent Brown back who was a reliable elite Superbowl-winning left tackle for the Patriots in 2018.

Now the OLine is almost solified with:

Trent Brown- Wynn - (TBD) -Mason - Onwenu

Last edited:
Oh man being flipped to the most dysfunctional team in the NFL. He’s still rich so eff it!

placing Cannon w Brown = net gain of: 5 years in age & some draft capital tbd

Trade is to be expected. But I see moving Cannon more as confirmation that Onwenu locked up the right tackle spot by playing like an All Pro RT for 12 games last year. And RT is more valuable than sliding Onwenu inside. I see the Trent Brown trade as solidifying our shaky LT position, where the prior player was constantly injured and missed 70% of his nfl games, Trent Brown played elite starting left tackle and won a ring for the Patriots in 2018.

Good trade for everyone. Cannon gets his money, gets to return to Texas, the Pats move up in three rounds.

I think k everyone (understandingly so) is forgetting about Yondey Cajuste).

Like Cannon he was a steal in the draft because of injury. He is supposedly healthy now, so he will definitely be in the mix at the very least will be the swing tackle.
No he wasn't.

No he wasn't.

Agree. Cannon we immediately knew he was good and a steal, basically the cancer scared teams away but he was legit immediately. Cajuste on the other hand is barely even on the team and if he doesn't shine soon he's gone.

Last edited:
So far they are all using and crediting McBride. The only one not doing so is Rapoport who talks just about swap of picks. With no source confirmation on exact swaps and so many options in 4th and 6th on both sides to swap (that clickbaiting outlets dont care to check) - id wait for confirmation.

History says its rarely the most optimistic outcome - and id be surprised if the trade was for that much between Bill and Nick (double what they gave up for Brown):

The USAToday article did nothing to quote or credit McBride. Not sure why you think that. Like I said. Neither McBride nor the Boston Globe were referenced by USAToday.

Here is a 3rd reference for you:

I don't know what it will take for to accept what the deal is, in all honesty. The CBS Article only mentions McBride in terms of the original source of the Trade. The reference to the picks is THEIRS. Just like USA Today and Spagnoli.

No he wasn't.

Cannon was a STEAL in his draft. He was projected to be a 1st round pick until the Cancer Diagnosis. Pats got him in the 5th round. And he reached top 5 status at RT at one point.

Cannon we immediately knew he was good and a steal, basically the cancer scared teams away but he was legit immediately. Cajuste is barely even on the team and if he doesn't shine soon he's gone.
Cannon was active for 10 games as a rookie, as the fourth tackle.

He was also in good enough shape prior to being diagnosed with lymphoma, that he could play basketball and swim on his chemo days.

Cannon was a STEAL in his draft. He was projected to be a 1st round pick until the Cancer Diagnosis. Pats got him in the 5th round. And he reached top 5 status at RT at one point.

Think he was saying Cajuste wasn’t a steal.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back