PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Recent history of 3rd overall being traded

scar3392

Rookie
Reaction score
Now I am not advocating the Pats trade the pick. But I think we can all agree that the Pats have a lot of holes to fill, particularly on offense. And a trade down could bring a boatload of picks, including multiple first rounders. Here is what the 3rd overall got in recent trades:

2012: Trade back. Vikings traded pick #3 to the Browns for picks #4, 118 (4th), 139 (5th) & 211 (7th)
2013. Trade back. Raiders traded pick #3 to Dolphins for picks #12 & 42 (2nd)
2018: Trade back: Colts traded pick #3 to Jets for picks #6, 37 & 49 (2nds) & 2019 2nd rounder
2021: Trade back: Dolphins traded picks #3 to 49ers for picks #12, 2022 1st & 3rd and 2023 1st
2022: Trade back: Arizona traded picks #3 & 105(4th) to Texans for picks #12, #33 (2nd), 2024 1st & 3rd

2017: Trade up: Bears traded #3, 67 (3rd), 111 (4th) & 2018 3rrd to 49ers for pick #2

Now I am not advocating the Pats trade the pick. But I think we can all agree that the Pats have a lot of holes to fill, particularly on offense. And a trade down could bring a boatload of picks, including multiple first rounders. Here is what the 3rd overall got in recent trades:

2012: Trade back. Vikings traded pick #3 to the Browns for picks #4, 118 (4th), 139 (5th) & 211 (7th)
2018: Trade back: Colts traded pick #3 to Jets for picks #6, 37 & 49 (2nds) & 2019 2nd rounder
2021: Trade back: Dolphins traded picks #3 to 49ers for picks #12, 2022 1st & 3rd and 2023 1st
2022: Trade back: Arizona traded picks #3 & 105(4th) to Texans for picks #12, #33 (2nd), 2024 1st & 3rd

2017: Trade up: Bears traded #3, 67 (3rd), 111 (4th) & 2018 3rrd to 49ers for pick #2

That is the one, come on down NYG!

Those trades in 2018, 21, and 22 look like such huge overpays. If some team falls in love with MHJ, you’d have to consider something like that. We could end up with Alt or Fashanu and another tackle in the early second. That could be a huge upgrade and set us up at tackle for years. Then also pick up a pretty good receiver in the second round. Those positions are supposedly the strength of the draft and we need them.

Those trades in 2018, 21, and 22 look like such huge overpays. If some team falls in love with MHJ, you’d have to consider something like that. We could end up with Alt or Fashanu and another tackle in the early second. That could be a huge upgrade and set us up at tackle for years. Then also pick up a pretty good receiver in the second round. Those positions are supposedly the strength of the draft and we need them.

It depends on the chart used, but I do think the '18 trade is over. But you could drop the 2nd 2nd and it would be about right, specially when I could see NYG trading up for a QB or WR.

So :
3 for 6, 39, and a '25 second to start.

I'd still do it.

That is the one, come on down NYG!
The more I think about it I think you are right. We need to trade down and the Giants seem like the best place to get the value with the draft capital we would pick up. Yes not the top WR but one of the top three which is a great place to start to rebuild the offence with the extra picks. We are just to far away...even the Texans were better built then we are now so going QB just is to early IMO :( With the Giants crappy QB situation I would ask for a 1st in 2025 to gamble against them having a great season. I think they are hungry for one of the top 3 QBs and would make the move.

I had a dream last night that we were able to trade down 3 times to 23 and we took JJ McCarthy and had 4 2nd rounders. I woke up as the 2nd round started.

You throw the charts out the window for picks this high.

The only question becomes, what's the most you would pay for Daniels, Maye or Harrison?

I'm not looking at any charts.

If you're picking in the top 10, bidding starts at 2 #1s ('24 + '25) and 2 #2s ('24 + '25).

I think Atlanta would be a trade back option too. 3 to 8. I want their 2nd this year and 1st next year. They think they’re a QB away and will over pay. We’re a couple of drafts behind them. Pitts. London and Robinson will give their an a chance.

that 2021 or the 2022 trade haul looks mighty tasty to me... anything that adds a second first round pick to the mix has to be strongly considered... only because I am not entirely sold on any of the QBs in this draft... running with zappe next year should net us another top 5 pick...

There’s major fleece potential with the Raiders at 13. Antonio Pierce recruited Jayden Daniels to Arizona State, and Daniels was a guest in the Raiders’ locker room after their week 18 game. Start with the 2021 or 2023 trades and add a little extra.

(The 2021 Dolphins and 2023 Cardinals both traded back from 3 to 12 and then up to 6, so don’t complain to me that that’s too far back.)

I think Atlanta would be a trade back option too. 3 to 8. I want their 2nd this year and 1st next year. They think they’re a QB away and will over pay. We’re a couple of drafts behind them. Pitts. London and Robinson will give their an a chance.
2nd rounder and 1st in 2025?

That seems underwhelming tbh.

that 2021 or the 2022 trade haul looks mighty tasty to me... anything that adds a second first round pick to the mix has to be strongly considered... only because I am not entirely sold on any of the QBs in this draft... running with zappe next year should net us another top 5 pick...

I’m not sold on Daniels, but it will only take one team to fall in love with him… or Harrison.

Notice how the ransoms for these picks keep getting more expensive?

You can take a chance on ONE player, and if he fails you have nothing, or you can get several highly regarded players, and a great chance of hitting on multiples of them.

Look at the Bears. They got this year’s top overall pick on a trade down last year, and are in a position to ransom that pick again this year, while the Panthers put all their eggs in one basket, and there was a hole in it.

They will pay for that blunder for years to come.

I like the idea of trading down for multiple picks, but I am not confident in the people who the Pats currently have to make the trade and select the players.

I like the idea of trading down for multiple picks, but I am not confident in the people who the Pats currently have to make the trade and select the players.

I guess if you aren't going to trust the guys making the pick, you better give them more shots at it?

Notice how the ransoms for these picks keep getting more expensive?

You can take a chance on ONE player, and if he fails you have nothing, or you can get several highly regarded players, and a great chance of hitting on multiples of them.

Look at the Bears. They got this year’s top overall pick on a trade down last year, and are in a position to ransom that pick again this year, while the Panthers put all their eggs in one basket, and there was a hole in it.

They will pay for that blunder for years to come.

Particularly after the 2021 fiasco Zach Wilson #2, Tre Lance #3, Justin Fields #11 and Mac Jones #15..
Prefer to get more picks as there are many needs..

QB's go 1 and 2. We are on the clock at 3, MHJ? or QB3? or trade with Arizona? #4, #27, #35 for our #3, #34, #68 Numbers are close. I would think AZ would want MHJ, we get top OT, Alt or Olu,, TE Bowers,, Edge Turner or Verse, 2nd best WR, Nabors, or Odunze, etc with pick 4 and maybe McCarthy, Nix, Penix with 27. Still leaves a high 2nd rounder.

The 2018 Colts-Jets trade is the one I have been basing my mock trades off. The Giants this year have very similar draft picks to the Jets (6, 39 and 47 compared to 6, 37 and 49). That precedent gives you a really good starting point.

Trading down to 6 still puts us in Joe Alt range and gives us the ammo to be super aggressive trading back up. We could walk out of the first round with bookend OT’s ( Alt + Fuaga/Latham/Mims/Guyton) plus a stud WR (Thomas Jr/Franklin/Coleman).

With Van Pelt as the OC I could see us really trying to solidify the OL. I don’t have much faith in the QB’s outside of Maye and Williams so if they are off the board why not try and solidify the rest of the team.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back