PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mark Daniels on the fall of Mac Jones

This is where mental toughness comes into play, and Belichick’s “do-your-job” mantra does as well. The offense around Mac was crap. Brady had years where he had crap too. But Brady was a leader, held his guys accountable, and continued to play within the system. Mac just wants to be one of the guys and doesn’t hold his teammates accountable, and tries to freelance to make things work because he’s getting frustrated. Can’t do that and be successful here. BoB was completely right in his advice, and that Jones didn’t take it shows his weaknesses as the team’s QB.
Few QB's are Tom Brady. I know it is fair to compare the two since they both play(ed) for the same team. All QB's who play for the Pats in the future will be compared, rightly or wrongly, to the GOAT. It's a ridiculously high bar to clear.

You also have to take into account that Brady didn't have to deal with the lack of talent his first three years and three different OC's (one being a career defensive coach).

It wasn't over before it began then, was it?

If Mac had a career-ending injury in his first game or something like that, then you could say that.
Yes it was, again pointing to the second season he was a rookie he had a solid year went to the post season and his career was botched, he then ended up back where he began as a rookie in training camp the back up.

Obvious he was never the guy. Doesn't have the leadership or temperament. "He wanted to be one of the guys".

Pats/BB should have read this when Jones talked to them before the draft.
The biggest difference between early Brady and Mac is their leadership ability. Brady demanded the respect of the team on the field, Mac does not. In retrospect, Mac's draft profile of good intangibles with barely adequate physical tools was only half right. When drafting the next QB I hope the Pats weigh leadership capability over pure arm talent. I don't want the Pats to draft Caleb Williams for that reason.

It seems like damage control, but poorly done. That kind of injury doesn't explain jumping off the back foot to throw a pass. In fact, with that kind of injury, you'd assume he'd want to step into the throw. It could explain the duck, but not necessarily the very poor mechanics that, at least in part, produced that kind of throw.

when you are the #1 overall pick, and your team pays another team to take you off their hands, you are indeed a reclamation project... His fall wasn't as far, but Goff had to learn to stand on his own two feet... learn to play without McVay whispering in his ear all the reads etc...
The Rams had to pay to get rid of the contract not because he was so bad they couldn’t move him. So maybe he didn’t play up to his contract but Goff was far from being a bad QB. McVay felt he couldn’t win with Goff so he traded him to a team who looked for a young QB who they can build around for a veteran QB that Detroit felt was arriving at the end of the road. Win-win for both teams.

Goff worst seasons are Mac best.

Mayfield is better example of a reclamation project than Goff in my opinion.

@archstanton543 that post was for good reason, had a nice rookie campaign, and then we know what happened after that when Josh left...

Yes it was, again pointing to the second season he was a rookie he had a solid year went to the post season and his career was botched, he then ended up back where he began as a rookie in training camp the back up.

Mac did not have a nice rookie campaign. He had a nice run as a rookie until the defenses started putting 8 or 9 guys in the box and challenging Mac to throw to the outside, deep down the middle, or a back shoulder pass. Mac could not make those throws so every team for the next 2+ years played the same defense, 8 or 9 guys in the box, and Mac could not defeat it. The Pats tried to show Mac what to do as we saw him trying to make those throws but he failed. Mac had a nice rookie campaign until defenses started putting 8 or 9 guys in the box and then Mac lost, including the playoffs, 4 of the last 5 games with Jags being the only win. When Mac was unable to defeat the same defense over and over in Y2 and Y3, he became frustrated and started acting out with his crying, cheap shots on other players, and panic in the pocket. Not a leader and no arm talent. Time to move on.

That’s Mac Jones camp 100% making excuses

Goff played in a Super Bowl. Mac Jones has not. How the **** can you compare them?
I've never seen a player who sucks get defended so much in my time as a fan.
Can't wait till he is gone. We can then start the QB arguments anew.

There was a TV show years ago about a kid with Downs Syndrome, and apparently the kid being smarter and more likable than Triumph made him jealous, so he’s been using it as an insult for a long time. Which says all you need to know about him. Unfortunately a number of other posters here have embraced it recently, and whether they know it or not it’s a really ****ty thing to do.
Ahhh…thx for the context. I’m 44 so not sure how old that show was but I hadn’t heard of it.

I literally thought it was taking his middle name and shortening it. Like calling Tom “Little Tommy” if he played poorly or something.

Goff played in a Super Bowl. Mac Jones has not. How the **** can you compare them?
I've never seen a player who sucks get defended so much in my time as a fan.
Can't wait till he is gone. We can then start the QB arguments anew.
Man…Goff was so forgettable in LA that I legit forgot he was the starter for that game.

Sure he did. And I am Bill gates.

Both those statements have an equal possibility of being true.

Does not possess even one physical tool necessary to elevate a NFL offense.

The whole coaching fiasco was a mess but seems like jones didnt want to adapt either

Mac did not have a nice rookie campaign. He had a nice run as a rookie until the defenses started putting 8 or 9 guys in the box and challenging Mac to throw to the outside, deep down the middle, or a back shoulder pass. Mac could not make those throws so every team for the next 2+ years played the same defense, 8 or 9 guys in the box, and Mac could not defeat it. The Pats tried to show Mac what to do as we saw him trying to make those throws but he failed. Mac had a nice rookie campaign until defenses started putting 8 or 9 guys in the box and then Mac lost, including the playoffs, 4 of the last 5 games with Jags being the only win. When Mac was unable to defeat the same defense over and over in Y2 and Y3, he became frustrated and started acting out with his crying, cheap shots on other players, and panic in the pocket. Not a leader and no arm talent. Time to move on.
We were 10-7 , I'd be over the moon to have even though flawed as you mentioned a season comparable offensively to 2021, top 10 in every offensive stat that mattered. So basically like all rookies he hit the wall. Don't get me wrong I'm no way advocating for him to remain.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back