PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo will be the new HC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would've preferred proven vrabel but let's see where it goes. We need offense and we have a defensive coach

I like this, I think Mayo has a brilliant football mind and knows how to relate to players, I think this is going to work if they get a guy than can get the right players and a good OC. This can be turned around in a couple of years.

I'm way less optimistic than I was before all the BS started to come out how this has come about

I have little trust in the Krafts at this point not to further **** this hope

Hopeful, but not holding my breath.
I wish they at least did due dillegence around the league. Going with Mayo immediately is a little concerning.

I wish they at least did due dillegence around the league. Going with Mayo immediately is a little concerning.
They know him well and apparently did promise him the job, he's been here his whole career, I'm sure they know all about him.

We should be hearing on fhe GM front very shortly

when in your view will he be ready? when in your view were any of the current successful coaches like mcVay, mcdaniels, shanahan ready? when was vrabel ready?

I understand wating vrabel over mayo because he has more experience being a head coach. but acting like you cant hire a head coach because he hasn't been a head coach baffles me. its not like mayo was just some scout...

i'm sure you will say "well they were OC and DC!" sure. but thats just because bill wouldn't give Mayo the title. just like he never gave patricia title of OC even though thats what he was.
Maybe vrabel in the end didn't want it

Pros to Mayo: You can hire him and keep the defense intact while still bringing in a new GM for team building and a new OC to revamp the offense. So you can attempt to keep the good while fixing the bad, which is something that was probably not possible with Bill.

Cons: The team is still going to be in the shadows of the Belichick era and regime without a clean break, which sort of signals a reluctance to totally move on by Kraft. A team with offensive woes isn't getting a modern offensive HC that could bring us into the current NFL. Mayo is very green and does not have a big rolodex yet for a staff. That said it could be helpful because it could give Kraft more power to bring in an independent GM and OC.

Just make sure Mac is moving on, get rid of Parker and Trent Brown. Keep Henry and owenu

You are not reading the text you are sourcing properly. Read the full article:

(i) The employer-club of a minority employee who has been hired by another club as its Head Coach or Primary Football Executive (General Manager) shall receive Draft choice compensation in the form of a compensatory Draft pick in the third round in each of the next two Drafts for an employee hired as either a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive, or for the next three Drafts if it has two employees hired for both positions. The reference to the hiring of employees into “both positions” could be by the same club or different clubs. The following will apply to the Draft choice compensation:
a. Any compensatory Draft picks awarded pursuant to this Policy will be at the end of the third round following all compensatory Draft picks awarded to clubs pursuant to Appendix V of the NFL-NFLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement.
b. If multiple clubs are awarded compensatory Draft picks pursuant to this Policy, then the order of those picks at the end of the third round will follow the original selection order for that Draft established prior to any trades or other adjustments.

(ii) The employer-club shall be eligible to receive this Draft choice compensation if:
a. The minority employee hired as a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive has been employed by the employer-club for a minimum of two full seasons; and
b. The minority employee is not the Head Coach or Primary Football Executive of the employer-club and is hired into the same position with the new club. There can be no break in employment between clubs.

This is saying that if Mayo was hired to be the HC at a DIFFERENT team, then the Patriots would be entitled to draft pick compensation. The section you are quoting at the bottom is saying that Mayo would need to have been employed in NE for at least 2 seasons and could not have already been our HC. He still needs to go work elsewhere for NE to get picks, they can't promote him to give themselves picks. The purpose of the program is to promote teams to develop minority coaches that go on to succeed elsewhere, not to push teams into choosing the minority applicants in order to give themselves capital.
Im ready the latter paragraph as means of promoting minority HC hires from within with candidates already employed for 2 years.

It states the employer club receives compensation. - Pats
Minority candidate (Mayo) has been employed by employer (Pats) for 2 years

I realize that if Mayo was leaving for a different NFL HC job that the Pats get compensation for allowing him to leave.

I like this, I think Mayo has a brilliant football mind and knows how to relate to players, I think this is going to work if they get a guy than can get the right players and a good OC. This can be turned around in a couple of years.
I think we downgraded. Might as well just kept bill

Kraft thinks that hiring Mayo will get him more invites to Jay Z and Beyoncé's parties than hiring Vrabel.

I think we downgraded. Might as well just kept bill
I don't think he'll be anything like Bill. He's younger and relates better to the young guys. I've read a bit on Mayo and the players he's coached would run through a wall for him. Gotta give him a chance, we can't go much further down.

Don’t like it at all. Hope I’m wrong but really feels like a lazy hire.

BUT, bigger question is who will be GM and OC?

Can’t imagine Billy O staying around now, which isn’t the end of the world.

Wonder if Bienemy would be an option.

Don’t like it at all. Hope I’m wrong but really feels like a lazy hire.

BUT, bigger question is who will be GM and OC?

Can’t imagine Billy O staying around now, which isn’t the end of the world.

Wonder if Bienemy would be an option.
What about Mcdaniels would he come as a assistant HC title?

Mike McDaniel

DeMeco Ryans

Kevin O’Connell
I'd say the key to those coaches is they have/had really good offensive skill players. Offense wins.

Put those 3 coaches on the Patriots sideline this last year, I doubt everyone is talking about how great they are.

Mayo has all the looks/pedigree of a successful head coach.

They get the right QB I think he'll be successful because there is enough evidence to suggest he'll be, at worst, a good head coach.

Why can I not imagine Josh McDaniels putting his ego aside to be an assistant to a 37 year old coach?

I don't think he'll be anything like Bill. He's younger and relates better to the young guys. I've read a bit on Mayo and the players he's coached would run through a wall for him. Gotta give him a chance, we can't go much further down.
********. We need a coach who knows offense. We need more talent on this roster. The offense hasn’t been good since Tom left. Not bill 2.0. Kraft just hired his man instead of doing an actual head coaching search

He’s a young voice, respected, smart… if he has good assistant coaches, especially coordinators, and a competent GM he should be fine.

********. We need a coach who knows offense. We need more talent on this roster. The offense hasn’t been good since Tom left. Not bill 2.0. Kraft just hired his man instead of doing an actual head coaching search
We just need an OC that knows offense and a HC that gives him the authority to run it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back