Asking for your support

Name your preference for OC

• Bill O'Brien

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • Kliff Kingsbury

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Other (please name)

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Ray Lewis, since he might kill another guy (Fat Matt?)

Votes: 15 24.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Go bold! LFG.
Well, Joe Bugel and Jim Ringo aren't with us anymore. Charlie Weis isn't afraid to run the ball, I wouldn't mind snatching him away from Sirius XM.

Gotta be Kittley.

Especially if he will run the ball. Our backs gain yardage. Control the game. Keep the defense off the field, and the opponent's offense.

Of course, start Zappe. As I've said, Brady, Favre, etc. they spent time on the sidelines. Mac can too. And I don't want any more Eason/Bledsoe PTSD.

I prefer Bill O’Brien but I’m concerned that Hopkins would take the Pats out of consideration if he was the OC.

Hopkins has a no trade clause so make no mistake he’s essentially picking him destination.
O'Brien was HC of the Texans when they did everything they possibly could as quickly as they possibly could to blow a 24-0 lead in Kansas City in a playoff game. No thank you.

Last edited:
BOB was not at Alabama with Mac Jones
That’s been a thing with a few posters on this board thinking that. The media also has gotten this wrong too stating they worked together. O’Brien was hired when Mac left for the draft.

Not interested in seeing last year's boring offense again just to try to make Mac look good. Need to get creative to compete against Mahomes, Burrow, Allen & Herbert.

But herein lies the problem: NO ONE is capable of being “creative” enough to elevate Mac Jones to the level required to contend. Every team with their precious first round royalty QB goes through this, changing coordinators, blaming the system, the weapons, the o-line, before realizing they’ve wasted four years on a guy who, based on draft probability, only had a very small chance of being the quarterback they need anyway.

I’ve yet to see ANY coordinator or head coach with a proven, long-term, repeatable track record of creating more points, yards, etc. by virtue of their magical system. All philosophies have pros and cons. A coach may have success in a given game or catch the league by surprise, but ultimately it’s all about the talent, and mostly about the QB.

It’s weird how how so many Pats fans are so open to an OC change thinking that will make a big difference but so toxically angry at the mention of Mac being exactly the quarterback every scout said he’d be: limited, not good enough to carry a team, likely to be exposed without a lot of help, not a guy you can tie the franchise to. He isn’t a high upside project worth investing any more time.

With all the talk of Bill could be losing the locker room or can’t relate to the younger players then I wouldn’t want BOB or Frank Reich, If this is the case then I think the new OC needs to be young and can relate with the younger players and has spent time in a successful offense.

Wouldn’t BOB just be like Bill in it’s my way or the highway?

O'Brien was HC of the Texans when they did everything they possibly could as quickly as they possible could to blow a 24-0 lead in Kansas City in a playoff game. No thank you.
He also was the OC for one of my favorite offenses the Pats have ever had with Gronk and Hernandez. The schemes were fun, lots of motion, they spread defenses out while still having a power run game.

I’m not advocating for him to be our head coach just the OC which is a role he’s shown to be good at.

BoB, why?

- Ran a great 2TE offense with Gronk/Hernandez when he was last here. He should be able to utilize Henry/Smith by +50%, IMO.

- Worked with BB before. And also worked with Saban.

- Was a decent HC himself...just look at how bad Houston has been since he left.

- Can work in high profile environments like Penn State post-Paterno. Boston media should be easy in comparison...not like he would even talk to the media anyway.

- Briefly crossed paths with Mac Jones. And he doesn't take **** from anyone...not even Tommy.

Sometimes you just need to start over, or the "play book" is no longer relevant .....

Even you you find a great OC, if there are not the players that can help execute, it's a moot point.

So, a new OC + new players...

OL was pretty lame as well in 2022. New coach + new players.

I’d like a guy from a team that brings new ideas. BOB would be like Patricia trying to flex and do what Bill wants.
What makes you think that? Bob doesn't seem like the kind of guy to follow; I would think he'd want to run it his way.

But herein lies the problem: NO ONE is capable of being “creative” enough to elevate Mac Jones to the level required to contend. Every team with their precious first round royalty QB goes through this, changing coordinators, blaming the system, the weapons, the o-line, before realizing they’ve wasted four years on a guy who, based on draft probability, only had a very small chance of being the quarterback they need anyway.

I’ve yet to see ANY coordinator or head coach with a proven, long-term, repeatable track record of creating more points, yards, etc. by virtue of their magical system. All philosophies have pros and cons. A coach may have success in a given game or catch the league by surprise, but ultimately it’s all about the talent, and mostly about the QB.

It’s weird how how so many Pats fans are so open to an OC change thinking that will make a big difference but so toxically angry at the mention of Mac being exactly the quarterback every scout said he’d be: limited, not good enough to carry a team, likely to be exposed without a lot of help, not a guy you can tie the franchise to. He isn’t a high upside project worth investing any more time.
Tony

Eason

Drew

Bledsoe

Frank Reich with brian johnson as QB Coach/OC assistant and some new o-line coach

“I think Mac has the ability to play quarterback in this league.”

Bill Belichick (actually)

Sometimes you just need to start over, or the "play book" is no longer relevant .....

Even you you find a great OC, if there are not the players that can help execute, it's a moot point.

So, a new OC + new players...

OL was pretty lame as well in 2022. New coach + new players.
When you put it that way, I have to agree. There isn't some magical OC that's going to come in and fix everything that needs fixing in one season.

Playbook: despite opinions to the contrary, the playbook remained the same. They tweaked it, simplified it, but the concepts were all part of the Patriots playbook. Are we limiting the search for an OC around keeping the playbook? That would be an odd concept.

So I agree, we need:
New OC, OL, QB coaches
New players: WR1, LT, RB2, TE2
New playbook?

We have two opposing forces:

1. Do we keep the playbook + QB and find an OC that will fit these constraints? If that's the case we're better off just promoting Caley.

2. Do we find a new OC that brings in new schemes revamping the playbook that the QB and skill players will need to learn?

I say yes. If we're keeping the QB as a long term investment, we've already seen how he performed w/ a good & bad OC with same playbook. The results were the same, failure.

Bring in a guy like Kittley who is 31 and can be both OC/QB coach to energize the offense. Find the right talented players to fit his system and the rest need to learn.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back