Asking for your support

Name your preference for OC

• Bill O'Brien

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • Kliff Kingsbury

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Other (please name)

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Ray Lewis, since he might kill another guy (Fat Matt?)

Votes: 15 24.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’d like a guy from a team that brings new ideas. BOB would be like Patricia trying to flex and do what Bill wants.

No he doesn't do what BB wants; I'm not sure what made you come up with this conjecture.

We've all seen how headstrong BOB is.

Also, BOB is on a completely different level than Fatty P is. BOB knows how to build off plays. Set them up to pull the rug out on the D, so to speak.

I would definitely welcome BOB back.

When you put it that way, I have to agree. There isn't some magical OC that's going to come in and fix everything that needs fixing in one season.

Playbook: despite opinions to the contrary, the playbook remained the same. They tweaked it, simplified it, but the concepts were all part of the Patriots playbook. Are we limiting the search for an OC around keeping the playbook? That would be an odd concept.

So I agree, we need:
New OC, OL, QB coaches
New players: WR1, LT, RB2, TE2
New playbook?

We have two opposing forces:

1. Do we keep the playbook + QB and find an OC that will fit these constraints? If that's the case we're better off just promoting Caley.

2. Do we find a new OC that brings in new schemes revamping the playbook that the QB and skill players will need to learn?

I say yes. If we're keeping the QB as a long term investment, we've already seen how he performed w/ a good & bad OC with same playbook. The results were the same, failure.

Bring in a guy like Kittley who is 31 and can be both OC/QB coach to energize the offense. Find the right talented players to fit his system and the rest need to learn.
Ok i'll bite... Were the results the same? The offense was significantly worse in most meaningful statistics with a bad coach than with a good coach. Mac had a better season with a good coach despite being a rookie and was overall significantly worse in his second year. The mac issue is he doesn't pass the eye test. He looks bad at times but i think he can be effective and if there was a significantly better alternative that i thought we were going for i'de have that but there isn't apart from Lamar.
Mac regressed majorly last year. At the end of his rookie season he was developing some pocket presence which was nowhere to be seen this year.

No thanks. Not looking forward to a screaming match on the sidelines every other week.
Well, BOB has that fiery side in him.. that may be what the offense needs at times... still feel like he's the best person to come in and get this offense NFL caliber, get Mac back to his rookie trajectory.. I'll take BOB all day!

I prefer Bill O’Brien but I’m concerned that Hopkins would take the Pats out of consideration if he was the OC.

Hopkins has a no trade clause so make no mistake he’s essentially picking him destination.
Good point forgot all about that... they bumped heads in Houston!

Steve Sarkisian would be the obvious choice, but he's not leaving UTexas right now unless it's to be an NFL HC;

I would also welcome any of BOB, Kliffie or Frank the Fourth Reich...None are perfect, but all three would bring something positive & different to the party...

I therefore chose RLKAG.

Ok i'll bite... Were the results the same? The offense was significantly worse in most meaningful statistics with a bad coach than with a good coach. Mac had a better season with a good coach despite being a rookie and was overall significantly worse in his second year. The mac issue is he doesn't pass the eye test. He looks bad at times but i think he can be effective and if there was a significantly better alternative that i thought we were going for i'de have that but there isn't apart from Lamar.
Mac regressed majorly last year. At the end of his rookie season he was developing some pocket presence which was nowhere to be seen this year.
Yea, I'm talking about the new OC, playbook and the future, not about Mac. Regardless of the stark difference in O numbers, both seasons ended the same: no division title & no playoff wins. To me that spells failure.

I'm simply proposing that given Bill will retire soon, we should be looking at starting a transition into a new system that can compete w/ our Conference rivals. A system that includes explosive plays which will be needed against the Mahomes, Allen and Burrow led teams.

The playbook this season was simplified mainly because it was too complex for Patricia and Judge. If we're going to keep the same old, complex system that was tailored around Brady, then we should just keep Caley, who apparently is well versed in the playbook.

Steve Sarkisian would be the obvious choice, but he's not leaving UTexas right now unless it's to be an NFL HC;

I would also welcome any of BOB, Kliffie or Frank the Fourth Reich...None are perfect, but all three would bring something positive & different to the party...

I therefore chose RLKAG.

I’d get a younger guy but Reich would be fine. I think it’s BOB or another Schiano type, friend of Bill, experienced coach. Maybe a former HC who know offense.

BillB must realize that his time as HC/GM is nearly over.
Assuming he climbs the Patriots' ladder, he'd certainly want an HEIR.
He needs 1 or 2 yrs with someone OC or DC that will take over as HC..

BillB must realize that his time as HC/GM is nearly over.
Assuming he climbs the Patriots' ladder, he'd certainly want an HEIR.
He needs 1 or 2 yrs with someone OC or DC that will take over as HC..
Who cares about heirs?

I’d get a younger guy but Reich would be fine. I think it’s BOB or another Schiano type, friend of Bill, experienced coach. Maybe a former HC who know offense.

Familiarity but bb is a yr late and burned that bridge maybe. Still I could see him coming back. Do u really think Kingsbury or O'Brien is coming?

If I were a betting man, I would place one on Kingsbury.

Yea, I'm talking about the new OC, playbook and the future, not about Mac. Regardless of the stark difference in O numbers, both seasons ended the same: no division title & no playoff wins. To me that spells failure.

I'm simply proposing that given Bill will retire soon, we should be looking at starting a transition into a new system that can compete w/ our Conference rivals. A system that includes explosive plays which will be needed against the Mahomes, Allen and Burrow led teams.

The playbook this season was simplified mainly because it was too complex for Patricia and Judge. If we're going to keep the same old, complex system that was tailored around Brady, then we should just keep Caley, who apparently is well versed in the playbook.
Wiping the slate clean and developing an explosive offense would be great but currently we don't have explosive players and if we install a system that is significantly different then we are on Macs 3rd system in 3 years? If we can get BOB then at least there is some continuity of a type. I think even just including some motion would be a huge benefit. Our offense was just dull and predictable with little to stress a defense.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back