PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New Special teams coach - Jeremy Springer

"The Rams were ranked dead last on special teams by DVOA last season, which obviously isn’t a good look."
So we picked up a guy who is probably wosrse than Achord?? I see the logic I can see it.
kind GIF

"The Rams were ranked dead last on special teams by DVOA last season, which obviously isn’t a good look."

We're getting the assistant to the worst ST coach in the league.

I'd say Mayo is going to be an excellent coach in this league. I'm not sure if that's going to be for the Patriots the way they're going.

Make fun of Joe Judge all you want, but he had the best STs in football for several years in a row. Call him a stooge or whatever, but when you're hiring the assistant to the worse, imagine it's possible how much more you have to fall from a guy who used to be best in the league.
Can't we enjoy the Achord firing for one second?

I don’t think we hit the jackpot

If you break that chart down, the FG kicker is driving a ton of that, which strangely enough is something the coaches don’t really have much input on. Not like we have a good kicker either, unfortunately. Kickoffs have been average. The punt units have been bad, but they have a decent punter. That’s where I’m focusing my concerns; why was their punting unit so bad on both sides of the ball?

Can't we enjoy the Achord firing for one second?
Our special teams unit was not anywhere near to what the Patriots used to pride themselves on. But they were still ranked in the middle of the league. We thought they were so bad because of the drop from Joe Judge's units. Hopefully we won't experience what the Rams were experiencing (and this isn't even the Rams top guy, he's the assistant!!!)

What Mayo needs is a lot of experienced and savvy coaches around him to help the transition, not a comedy show.

Last edited:
So we picked up a guy who is probably wosrse than Achord?? I see the logic I can see it.
kind GIF
Well, chances are he's going to show improvement over his prior performance, so he's on an upward trajectory.

Maybe Springers vision for the Rams special teams was ignored who knows.
Point is Mayo made his hire the staff is starting to come together.
He basically said at his conference he’s looking for guys who can relate to players bulld
Trust and teach the why more so than the do it cause I’m your coach mentality.
All eyes are on the offensive staff.

Interesting strategy. I wonder if they will try to ice opposing kickers by announcing right before the kick whether the kicker is the father or not.

Maybe Springers vision for the Rams special teams was ignored who knows.
Point is Mayo made his hire the staff is starting to come together.
He basically said at his conference he’s looking for guys who can relate to players bulld
Trust and teach the why more so than the do it cause I’m your coach mentality.
All eyes are on the offensive staff.
Waiting...
Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

Official Site of the Los Angeles Rams

In 2019 under Springer, running back J.J. Taylor averaged 23.6 yards per kick return with 19 total returns for 448 yards. The year prior, Taylor averaged 24.5 yards per return with 22 total returns for 540 yards and one touchdown.

We're hoping Springer is a good ST hire based on his ONE good KR year with a PAC-12 team???
And that KRer became a 4th string RB that couldn't stick in the NFL...
Great.

I think Mayo is working for LeBron's movie company who's casting a reality reboot of The Replacements.

FWIW they hired BOB from Duke when they had the worst offense in the NCAA.

That is a very odd choice.
You look around the league at assistant special teams coaches and take the one with historically bad stats?
Very strange.

Our special teams unit was not anywhere near to what the Patriots used to pride themselves on. But they were still ranked in the middle of the league. We thought they were so bad because of the drop from Joe Judge's units. Hopefully we won't experience what the Rams were experiencing (and this isn't even the Rams top guy, he's the assistant!!!)

What Mayo needs is a lot of experienced and savvy coaches around him to help the transition, not a comedy show.
They were ranked between like 27-32nd in DVOA last 3 years.

Just so long as they get rid of the overly costly players on the roster who are essentially ST only and are not a kicker, punter, or long snapper. Looking at you Chris Board, and hey Schooner you may be kept but you used up 3 years of penalties in one season in 2023.

They were ranked between like 27-32nd in DVOA last 3 years.
Someone posted a link showing they were 13th here recently.

If that last ranking includes FGs and XPs, I believe it. Ryland was worst in the league this year, and people don't seem to remember that Nick Folk had some kind of injury last year that caused a weak leg, could not kick far, and missed FGs. Our punters until this year also had injuries and were pretty bad.

My main interest is really the punt and kick coverage unit.

Lastly, we were really good last year with Marcus Jones on returns. He was 1st team All-Pro.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back