PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Sunday Ticket Headed to YouTube?

I just bought a new home theater system. It's an LG BH6830SW, for those who might want to look it up.

It's Blu-Ray & Blue Tooth, plus it connects to my wireless router and has avatars for NetFlix, YouTube, Pandora, Hulu, and others. It means that I can ditch the X-Box completely and access NetFlix & YouTube from a single remote, right on my TV.

If this NFL Sunday Ticket goes through, It'd work just ducky for me too. :rocker:

BTW: I'm a VERY happy DirecTV customer. haven't had any problems with them or with my service, unless it was a pretty substantial downpour.

I'm passed my contract with them, so if I gave it up I wouldn't have to pay any penalty, etc. I might still keep it, because there ARE a few shows my daughter and I like to watch, but that wouldn't be a deal breaker.

BTW: I'm a VERY happy DirecTV customer. haven't had any problems with them or with my service, unless it was a pretty substantial downpour.

I'm passed my contract with them, so if I gave it up I wouldn't have to pay any penalty, etc. I might still keep it, because there ARE a few shows my daughter and I like to watch, but that wouldn't be a deal breaker.

That's why I stay away from Satellite tv. Living in Florida and getting severe thunder and rainstorms nearly every other day, that crap goes out all the time here.

That's why I stay away from Satellite tv. Living in Florida and getting severe thunder and rainstorms nearly every other day, that crap goes out all the time here.

That's the main problem I have with DirecTV. Believe me, I absolutely cannot stand the way Comcast does business. But I'm looking forward to going back with them so I don't lose my television service every time there is a thunderstorm.

That's the main problem I have with DirecTV. Believe me, I absolutely cannot stand the way Comcast does business. But I'm looking forward to going back with them so I don't lose my television service every time there is a thunderstorm.

I have Verizon FIOS for Internet and TV. I'm very pleased with their service. I've heard nothing but negative things about Comcast.

NFL is dumb at selling their product. If they just made Sunday ticket available like their preseason live package, they would make sooo much more money and more people could watch their games. Directv sucks ass and I will never own that garbage.

The NFL is dumb at selling their product?

Seriously?

Respectfully, I disagree. How exactly does selling the rights for less money to a lower bidder result in the NFL making more money?

If there is one thing that the NFL knows how to do, it is how to maximize profits by leaving no stone unturned, that others would not even consider.

The reason DirecTV has the Sunday Ticket is because they outbid everyone else - by an appreciable amount. And the reason DTV can outbid everyone else is because it is a loss leader for them; they lose money on the ST deal but make up for it on corresponding subscriptions for their television service. Others (e.g., Comcast, BrightHouse) are not going to get enough additional viewers with the ST to make it worthwhile to outbid DTV and pay that much for those rights.

While the Sunday Ticket being available through DirecTV is an inconvenience for many consumers, that does not in any way equate to it being a dumb business decision by the NFL. Quite the contrary: if they sold the rights to a lower bidder, then that would be a dumb business decision.

Google entering the picture changes the landscape completely because up until the only players bidding for exclusive rights have been either networks (CBS, NBC, etc.) or service providers (DirecTV, Comcast, etc.)

Some more on this news here:

Google, feeling lucky, may bid for Sunday Ticket

Google, flush with cash and mulling a way to extend its reach into television, has held meetings with the National Football League, the NFL said on Wednesday.

Although the League would not comment on specifics of the meeting, it raised the tantalizing possibility that the search behemoth could launch a bid for the rights to the NFL's Sunday Ticket package.

"Members of our office meet often with innovative leaders in Silicon Valley and around the world," the NFL said in a statement. "We are constantly looking for ways to make our game better on the field, in the stadium and for fans. We are not commenting on any specifics of the meetings."

Google reaches out to NFL over Sunday Ticket package

Google is already the most lucrative set of multicolored letters in the known universe. There's nothing like assimilating with the most financially successful professional sports league to keep that momentum.

The clock is ticking on DirecTV's deal with the NFL and their Sunday Ticket package. By the end of 2014, it will be up for grabs, and the league already has some potential suitors fluttering their eye lashes.

Roger Goodell led a contingency of suits into a meeting with Google CEO Larry Page and YouTube exec Robert Kyncl, during which the very topic of Google picking up where DirecTV may leave off was discussed.

With a price tag of a mere $1 billion, Google would most likely have to pay slightly more to secure the rights, and lose money in the process, but could use the deal to vault the TV industry into a more web-oriented direction. Which *might* in the end prove valuable for them.

Last edited:
I can't stand Comcast... they are crooks and their customer service sucks! I switched to Dish as they are cheaper than DirecTV and have heard too many bad stories about DirecTV's lack of customer service.

I can say I am happy with my Dish Network. Their customer service is awesome and they fixed a wirining issue I had in my house caused by Comcast! I too live in Florida and the signal does crap out on me every now and then when the rain is heavy but it's only for a minute or two and then comes right back. I am paying about half of what I was with Comcrooks.

With Dish I have found that your installer really matters. If they just have an understanding of how to hook the system up you may not get the best signal you can. If you have a guy who knows what they are doing, there shouldn't be any problems. The HD picture on satellite is better than cable too. I can live with the signal dropping once in a while while I count the money I save monthly compared to Comcrap.

I can't stand Comcast... they are crooks and their customer service sucks! I switched to Dish as they are cheaper than DirecTV and have heard too many bad stories about DirecTV's lack of customer service.

I can say I am happy with my Dish Network. Their customer service is awesome and they fixed a wirining issue I had in my house caused by Comcast! I too live in Florida and the signal does crap out on me every now and then when the rain is heavy but it's only for a minute or two and then comes right back. I am paying about half of what I was with Comcrooks.

With Dish I have found that your installer really matters. If they just have an understanding of how to hook the system up you may not get the best signal you can. If you have a guy who knows what they are doing, there shouldn't be any problems. The HD picture on satellite is better than cable too. I can live with the signal dropping once in a while while I count the money I save monthly compared to Comcrap.

Thanks for the review. I'll have to look into Dish. It's either them, Comcast, or DirecTV available where I am. No uverse just yet, but I heard they're horrible too.

I don't have DirectTV and a avoid all things Google as much as possible, so this would be a wash for me. It might be interesting to see which fish bites the hook on this, though.

The NFL is dumb at selling their product?

Seriously?

Respectfully, I disagree. How exactly does selling the rights for less money to a lower bidder result in the NFL making more money?

If there is one thing that the NFL knows how to do, it is how to maximize profits by leaving no stone unturned, that others would not even consider.

The reason DirecTV has the Sunday Ticket is because they outbid everyone else - by an appreciable amount. And the reason DTV can outbid everyone else is because it is a loss leader for them; they lose money on the ST deal but make up for it on corresponding subscriptions for their television service. Others (e.g., Comcast, BrightHouse) are not going to get enough additional viewers with the ST to make it worthwhile to outbid DTV and pay that much for those rights.

While the Sunday Ticket being available through DirecTV is an inconvenience for many consumers, that does not in any way equate to it being a dumb business decision by the NFL. Quite the contrary: if they sold the rights to a lower bidder, then that would be a dumb business decision.

Google entering the picture changes the landscape completely because up until the only players bidding for exclusive rights have been either networks (CBS, NBC, etc.) or service providers (DirecTV, Comcast, etc.)

Some more on this news here:

Google, feeling lucky, may bid for Sunday Ticket

Google, flush with cash and mulling a way to extend its reach into television, has held meetings with the National Football League, the NFL said on Wednesday.

Although the League would not comment on specifics of the meeting, it raised the tantalizing possibility that the search behemoth could launch a bid for the rights to the NFL's Sunday Ticket package.

"Members of our office meet often with innovative leaders in Silicon Valley and around the world," the NFL said in a statement. "We are constantly looking for ways to make our game better on the field, in the stadium and for fans. We are not commenting on any specifics of the meetings."

Google reaches out to NFL over Sunday Ticket package

Google is already the most lucrative set of multicolored letters in the known universe. There's nothing like assimilating with the most financially successful professional sports league to keep that momentum.

The clock is ticking on DirecTV's deal with the NFL and their Sunday Ticket package. By the end of 2014, it will be up for grabs, and the league already has some potential suitors fluttering their eye lashes.

Roger Goodell led a contingency of suits into a meeting with Google CEO Larry Page and YouTube exec Robert Kyncl, during which the very topic of Google picking up where DirecTV may leave off was discussed.

With a price tag of a mere $1 billion, Google would most likely have to pay slightly more to secure the rights, and lose money in the process, but could use the deal to vault the TV industry into a more web-oriented direction. Which *might* in the end prove valuable for them.

In a single year Directv through promotions had 1.1 million people sign up for Sunday Ticket.

It is currently $60 for 5 months or $300 for Sunday ticket max. If in 1 year, 1.1 million people signed up that is $300 million. An article I just read states they have over 2 million users and that is prior to the NFL season. That is $600 million worth of subscriptions.

Now if you were to unlock it and allow all TV providers to have it and distribute it like preseason live on NFL.com, I'd expect on a very rough estimate 10 million people or more to subscribe. At $300 per user, that comes to $3 Billion, or 3x as much as Directv pays yearly for the rights. That doesn't include TV providers paying NFL for the use of their channel.

NFL stands to make MUCH more money if they open up their product to more people.

If this goes through, it'll be a godsend for anyone who has an xbox, playstation, Google TV, apple tv, etc. etc. Personally, I have an xbox, PS3, and Google TV, so my bases are pretty much covered.

For anyone who wants to stream YouTube to their TVs, doesn't have any of these devices (or a smart TV), and is interested in a cheap but effective alternative, Roku could be your answer, assuming that they get their **** together and get an official YouTube app.

If you're willing to spend a little more, I have a Logitech Revue for Google TV and have had only good experiences with it.

I don't have DirectTV and a avoid all things Google as much as possible, so this would be a wash for me. It might be interesting to see which fish bites the hook on this, though.

If your reasons for avoiding Google are what I think they are, then they're definitely valid and understandable, but all that I can say to that is that VPNs are definitely your friend.

The NFL Ticket is not going to go away from a cable or satellite provider.

Many people in this country don't have suitable HSI available to them at a speed it would take to stream a game in HD.

A bunch of my buddies and I go to our friend's house to watch footbal who has a kick ass home theatre with a 120" projector system. But, where he lives the best he can do for internet is 1 meg DSL.

Could I see a joint bid by let's say Google and Dish, sure but I don't see them pulling this from people without adequate internet or no internet at all.

Plus, I wonder how a sports bar is going to stream 10 games at at time, it would be virtually impossible in most locations.

Makes sense. IMO, an underappreciated part of Google's success has their willingness to make major investments in this kind of "big picture" venture -- whole product lines that probably won't ever make money, but may change the playing field. Android staved off a potential Apple monopoly. Chrome helped move web standards toward better (and more Google-friendly) technologies. Etc.

In a single year Directv through promotions had 1.1 million people sign up for Sunday Ticket.

It is currently $60 for 5 months or $300 for Sunday ticket max. If in 1 year, 1.1 million people signed up that is $300 million. An article I just read states they have over 2 million users and that is prior to the NFL season. That is $600 million worth of subscriptions.

Now if you were to unlock it and allow all TV providers to have it and distribute it like preseason live on NFL.com, I'd expect on a very rough estimate 10 million people or more to subscribe. At $300 per user, that comes to $3 Billion, or 3x as much as Directv pays yearly for the rights. That doesn't include TV providers paying NFL for the use of their channel.

NFL stands to make MUCH more money if they open up their product to more people.

Two points.

I think you are confusing the money from the distributor contract (NFL with DirecTV) and the money from the consumer contracts (fans and DTV, or another source). The number of people that do (or do not) subscribe to DirecTV does not effect the NFL one bit; they get a fixed amount from DTV regardless of how many fans and sports bars purchase their product. There may also be some confusion between revenues and profits.

The other is point is the value of exclusive rights. Any service provider, whether it be DTV, Comcast, Google, or anyone else is going to pay much more for those rights with an exclusive deal. A non-exclusive deal has two results. First, you are not going to get every single consumer who purchases the service - which means less revenue and profits. Second, increased competition for those consumers will cause the price to drop - which will also mean less revenue and profits. Think of it this way: would networks pay as much as they do if other networks could also broadcast the same game? Would the NFL make more money if four networks could show a game, rather than just one?

End result is that the bottom line figures outlined above won't be attained because the $300 per user is no longer a reasonable expectation. That makes the purchase of the service less desirable, which means each of the companies will pay less for the rights ... which means the NFL would make less money, not more money.

Remember the NFL collects a fixed rate for these rights (same as with FOX, CBS, NBC and ESPN broadcast rights). They don't collect a per subscriber fee for Sunday Ticket. Similarly if a lot of people watch the game (or don't) and ratings skyrocket (or drop) that's helps (or hurts) that particular network, not the NFL.

Now if a player like Google comes along and convinces the NFL to instead go to a per-user licensing fee, that's a whole different story.

Last edited:
I have Directv and subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket through them. So I wouldn't mind if NFL Sunday Ticket were to stay with DirecTv. However, if Google wins the next contract for NFL Sunday Ticket than I'll get it from them.

I don't really consider this much of a development since you can already watch NFL Sunday ticket on a mobile device if you have the subscription.

I think people are misinterpreting this to believe that NFL Sunday Ticket is headed to YouTube and YouTube alone. While it's certainly possible Google/YouTube gets exclusive internet broadcast rights, I don't think there's a chance in heck that Sunday Ticket becomes an internet-only broadcast. There will still be some cable system or satellite network with rights so we can watch it on our TV's.

Google would probably get triple the subscribers just because people won't have to be a DirecTV customer to get it.

You don't have to be a DirecTV subscriber to get Sunday Ticket now. You can get it through your PS3.. This is the 3rd year that they are doing this.

You should look into Fios.. I'd say AT&T U-Verse, but my parents don't speak highly of them.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back