PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT DAY DISCUSSION OFFICIAL 2023 Patriots Draft Day Discussion: Round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the fact? That Bill got his man? The he got him cheaper? That he got the 4th?

I have no problem with the pick.

I understand your point. If he loved Gonzalez, he wouldn't have risked losing him for a 4th. This makes sense and could indicate BB is not 100% sold on him.

However, it could also be that BB loved 3 players equally and thought it was worth adding a 4th if he was going to get a player he loved. In this scenario, he loved him some Gonzalez.

Either of these 2 scenarios are possibly correct. Glass half full or half empty.

I understand your point. If he loved Gonzalez, he wouldn't have risked losing him for a 4th. This makes sense and could indicate BB is not 100% sold on him.

However, it could also be that BB loved 3 players equally and thought it was worth adding a 4th if he was going to get a player he loved. In this scenario, he loved him some Gonzalez.

Either of these 2 scenarios are possibly correct. Glass half full or half empty.

Agreed. Thank you.

What is the fact? That Bill got his man? The he got him cheaper? That he got the 4th?

I have no problem with the pick.
Yes. Very good. All of those things are facts... I mean obviously we don't know that this was 100% the ONE guy he wanted. But the general consensus is that he got great value and added an extra pick. WTF could you have a problem with?

Yes. Very good. All of those things are facts... I mean obviously we don't know that this was 100% the ONE guy he wanted. But the general consensus is that he got great value and added an extra pick. WTF could you have a problem with?

Follow the chain of command and you'll see. Otherwise, glad we come to a understanding here.

Great pick.

So Levis sat in the room all night and didn't get a call. I wonder how long he'll wait tomorrow.

It's the NEM effect, boss...part of the landscape here
Well since we no longer had an "OC". Some one at a high level in the coaching staff has to suck.

Or it simply could be he had intel that Gonzalez likely would be available three picks later.

Agreed. Thank you.

BB knew that the Steelers were not drafting a CB at 14, and everyone knew that the JETE were not drafting a CB at 15 (they have Sauce and other needs). So the only risk was the Commanders at 16, and the Pats probably had Gonzales and Forbes rated equally. So the Pats end up with one of the two corners they wanted plus a 4th round pick. Only if you think Gonzales is much better than Forbes is there any "unnecessary risk" involved. If you do think Forbes is much worse than Gonzales, the Commanders scouting department disagrees. I prefer Gonzales, but Forbes ball hawking is very very impressive.

So what is the unnecessary risk? Getting Forbes instead of Gonzales? Gonzales is more athletic, smoother, and has a higher ceiling, but Forbes has much more production in college. Unnecessary risk = a higher ceiling over college production?

Mayer, Branch, Washington, Dawand Jones, LaPorta, Bergeron, Downs, Adebawore and Ojulari would all be good picks in the second.

Would be happy to trade up for one of the first four, the rest would be good fits at 46.

I’m not really a Hyatt guy but could live with that pick.

FWIW, Matt Groh confirmed in his post-round 1 conference with the media that they had multiple guys they liked available at 14 so knew they’d be getting someone they want at 17.

Mayer, Branch, Washington, Dawand Jones, LaPorta, Bergeron, Downs, Adebawore and Ojulari would all be good picks in the second.

Would be happy to trade up for one of the first four, the rest would be good fits at 46.

I’m not really a Hyatt guy but could live with that pick.

Great post. An OT in the 2nd and 4th? A TE?

Lots of good players left. Mayer falling is not surprising. Porter falling to the 2nd is surprising to me.

A couple of thoughts about the Pats' trade/pick:

In retrospect, I believe that when the Cardinals took Paris Johnson so early, we were kinda doomed to not being able to have our cake and eat it too, in regards to adding both a top-125 pick and Broderick Jones at the same time...

If ****sdirt didn't take Jones, I wouldn't have been surprised if the Jete did so anyway.

As soon as Jones was taken off the board, Gonzo became the BPA, no doubt about it. I was pleasantly shocked when the Commandos took Manny Forbes ahead of him. Also pleased that the Pats didn't try to out-smart themselves for once.

Our FO now needs to not leave the building tomorrow night without a Left Tackle of the (Immediate) Future... and a Weapon.

Groh refers to the 4th gained from Pittsburgh as “extra currency” multiple times, seems like they’re planning to move around. Also says the “heart of the draft” is the 3rd and 4th round.

A couple of thoughts about the Pats' trade/pick:

In retrospect, I believe that when the Cardinals took Paris Johnson so early, we were kinda doomed to not being able to have our cake and eat it too, in regards to adding both a top-125 pick and Broderick Jones at the same time...

If ****sdirt didn't take Jones, I wouldn't have been surprised if the Jete did so anyway.

As soon as Jones was taken off the board, Gonzo became the BPA, no doubt about it. I was pleasantly shocked when the Commandos took Manny Forbes ahead of him. Also pleased that the Pats didn't try to out-smart themselves for once.

Our FO now needs to not leave the building tomorrow night without a Left Tackle of the (Immediate) Future... and a Weapon.
Re: Forbes..love the skills but his weight scares me. I’m curious to see how Forbes at 166lbs is able to cover some of these big wrs.

Groh refers to the 4th gained from Pittsburgh as “extra currency” multiple times, seems like they’re planning to move around. Also says the “heart of the draft” is the 3rd and 4th round.

I agree with him there.

Considering the Pats got Jack, Marcus, Strong, and Zappe in the 4th last year, I'm hoping they have a similar haul of quality players in the mid rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back