PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

On a funny note...that was the most pathetic attempt of an onside kick I've ever seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

slash83

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
That was the most pathetic attempt of an onside kick I've ever witnessed lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: On a funny note...

I posted something similar in the gameday thread.

I almost fell of my couch laughing when I saw it. Normally I may have been upset, but with how terrible the rest of the game was, it was only fitting.

The onside kick play in itself is a very inexact science. No matter how you set it up, you're always relying on the luck of the bounce. The only problem that I have is that they tried that play after presumably never attempting it on grass like that. On field turf, that may have been exactly the right power to kick it at.

I've seen onside kicks out of bounds, kicked into their own guys before the ball goes 10yds and a whole host of other types of fail...

...but I've never seen one that stalls 5yds downfield.

And add an offsides to the play and that was ugly.

Regards,
Chris

The onside kick play in itself is a very inexact science. No matter how you set it up, you're always relying on the luck of the bounce. The only problem that I have is that they tried that play after presumably never attempting it on grass like that. On field turf, that may have been exactly the right power to kick it at.

There's a big difference between "luck" in recovering an onside kick and the completely shanking the kick all together. That was just a terrible play, they had no chance to even recover and picked up a penalty to boot.

That was the most pathetic attempt of an onside kick I've ever witnessed lol.

No wonder we have not recovered a onside kick since the mid 90's.
We could have got a better kick from a carnival midget.

There's a big difference between "luck" in recovering an onside kick and the completely shanking the kick all together. That was just a terrible play, they had no chance to even recover and picked up a penalty to boot.

But with a better bounce, does that ball travel the full 10 yards? It's impossible to know, but the way it just landed there, I have to think a better bounce gives a much better result, and that bounce isn't something that any kicker can completely control.

But with a better bounce, does that ball travel the full 10 yards? It's impossible to know, but the way it just landed there, I have to think a better bounce gives a much better result, and that bounce isn't something that any kicker can completely control.

I thought the best part was the players almost trying to "wave" it forward, like the movement of their arms was going to cause it to resume rolling. Not Gostkowski's finest moment :cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe