PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Once again, Pats win; Jets, Dolphins, Bills all lose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dead on. Public perception is Goodells main focus and goal. What better way to do that then to tear down the top organization and villify them in an effort to strentghen your own position of authority.
I disagree. I believe that Goodell's main focus and goal is to make profits for the owners (short and long term).

The amount of snaps that Ayers received once Chandler Jones was healthy showed a pretty clear pattern in my opinion. He was practically invisible, particularly in the postseason. Anyone who honestly felt that there was a good chance of Ayers coming back wasn't watching the last half of the season, where Ayers had 2 sacks, one of them coming in the meaningless BUF game when starters were played sparingly.

To take it one step further, why would you even attempt to make a comparison to a player who received 2/11 (Sheard) vs. a player who received 2/6 (Ayers)? In the eyes of Bill Belichick, Jabal Sheard was clearly worth TWICE the amount that they offered to Ayers--if they even offered him anything at all. And I'm not sure where the idea of "backup" comes from? That's certainly not the idea that comes to my mind when looking at one of the better defensive free agents on the market and a 5.5m dollar AAV pact.

And yes--both Vereen and Ayers were clearly role players who had outpriced themselves in the N.England market and some other team decided to overpay for them, such as guys like Mark Anderson (remember him...."how oh how, will we replace the 10 sacks from the great Mark Anderson?")

Yes, I believe that a backup start one day and then play almost not at all when the starter is back healthy.
Yes, I am one of those nuts who believe in the strategy of "next man up".

Let's focus on the future. We disagree on the role of Ayers; that's fine. I thought that he was a great backup (not a role player), and was not surprised at all when he was back on the bench when Jones came back. I also thought that it was worth paying what others paid Ayers to get such a backup. But Belichick did even better.
========
You indicate that Sheard cannot be a backup, because he is being paid $5.5M a year. I trust that you make the same argument regarding Cannon. The reality is that Belichick is willing to pay more than most posters for backups that can be capable starters when called upon.

My list of DE starters consists of Ninkovich and Chandler Jones. Which of these is NOT a starter in your eyes?

When we are in nickel (about 70%) of the time, my starting LB's are TWO of Mayo, Collins and Hightower. Which of these is NOT a starter in the base? Which TWO would sit so that Sheard can start in the nickel?

I understand that Sheard would start in case of any injury (as Ayers did).

Yes, I am hopeful that Sheard will start some with Ninkovich not playing 90% of the reps. Maybe that will happen, maybe not. But that is still the backup role, playing some reps so that the starter can rest. I'm certainly OK with a 3-man rotation at DE. I certainly don't expect it. Do you?

BOTTOM LINE
Who is sitting so that Sheard can start? Perhaps, I have misunderstood your position. Perhaps you are suggesting another role for Sheard than those he has played in the past.

I disagree. I believe that Goodell's main focus and goal is to make profits for the owners (short and long term).
Yeah, he's not worried about profiting for himself. What's his salary leading that non-profit organization again?:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes