PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Broncos Bench Wilson, Setting Up Offseason to Move on From Him

Pay Day Money GIF

Bronco ownership counting the money they save by benching Russ.

Theoretically Pats could send Denver a 5th in exchange for Wilson and a 2nd, in order to relieve them of his contract. Then NE could either keep him for what would basically be 2 years/$54 million fully guaranteed ($27m per year), after which all future salaries are non-guaranteed, or they could immediately cut him before the 5th day of the 2024 league year hits in order to avoid his 2025 salary becoming guaranteed and just take a $17m cap hit in 2024 in exchange for a 2nd rounder.

Depends on what you think of Wilson. I think he has looked better under Payton this year but obviously not quite what he once was. If they wanted to go the "veteran QB starter, draft a rookie to develop in 2nd round to sit for a year or two" route then Wilson is an option and you might be able to get a pick back in the deal that you could use to select said rookie. Or you just dump $17m off your 2024 cap for the pick. I think you'd get a credit if he signed with another team as a free agent as well. Just food for thought.

Edit: Jesus, Denver doesn't even have a 2nd. These guys...

Last edited:
Where do people think Wilson will end up? He had a decent season this year so I would think some team would want him as a starter ... at much lower salary of course than Denver paid him.

Theoretically Pats could send Denver a 5th in exchange for Wilson and a 2nd, in order to relieve them of his contract. Then NE could either keep him for what would basically be 2 years/$54 million fully guaranteed ($27m per year), after which all future salaries are non-guaranteed, or they could immediately cut him before the 5th day of the 2024 league year hits in order to avoid his 2025 salary becoming guaranteed and just take a $17m cap hit in 2024 in exchange for a 2nd rounder.

Depends on what you think of Wilson. I think he has looked better under Payton this year but obviously not quite what he once was. If they wanted to go the "veteran QB starter, draft a rookie to develop in 2nd round to sit for a year or two" route then Wilson is an option and you might be able to get a pick back in the deal that you could use to select said rookie. Just food for thought.
Hard pass. I want the Pats to go all in to get Mayfield. He is only 28.

Last edited:
These guys keep signing these cap crippling contracts, only to find out they aren't getting the money. Meanwhile, Tom Brady was out there making sure they could field a winning team around him.
Tom Brady Peace GIF

How can they possibly take such a big cap hit? That's nuts.

At most, a future team would only be willing to defray the cost by taking $15m of it.

There will be other decent QBs available, like Kirk Cousins, maybe Sam Howell, Chicago's Fields, Kyler Murray, you never know.

At most, a future team would only be willing to defray the cost by taking $15m of it.

There will be other decent QBs available, like Kirk Cousins, maybe Sam Howell, Chicago's Fields, Kyler Murray, you never know.
I think their options are:

A) Cut him with a post-june 1st designation to eat around a $35M dead cap hit in 2024 and defer the remaining ~$50M dead cap hit to 2025
B) Find someone who will trade for him, which raises the 2024 dead cap hit to around ~$68M, but leaves the 2025 cap untouched

I don’t think any of it can be defrayed. No one is trading for that contract. They eat it all regardless of what his next free agent contract is.

I think their options are:

A) Cut him with a post-june 1st designation to eat around a $35M dead cap hit in 2024 and defer the remaining ~$50M dead cap hit to 2025
B) Find someone who will trade for him, which raises the 2024 dead cap hit to around ~$68M, but leaves the 2025 cap untouched
No one is trading for him.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back