PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Broncos Bench Wilson, Setting Up Offseason to Move on From Him

Pay Day Money GIF

Bronco ownership counting the money they save by benching Russ.

Theoretically Pats could send Denver a 5th in exchange for Wilson and a 2nd, in order to relieve them of his contract. Then NE could either keep him for what would basically be 2 years/$54 million fully guaranteed ($27m per year), after which all future salaries are non-guaranteed, or they could immediately cut him before the 5th day of the 2024 league year hits in order to avoid his 2025 salary becoming guaranteed and just take a $17m cap hit in 2024 in exchange for a 2nd rounder.

Depends on what you think of Wilson. I think he has looked better under Payton this year but obviously not quite what he once was. If they wanted to go the "veteran QB starter, draft a rookie to develop in 2nd round to sit for a year or two" route then Wilson is an option and you might be able to get a pick back in the deal that you could use to select said rookie. Or you just dump $17m off your 2024 cap for the pick. I think you'd get a credit if he signed with another team as a free agent as well. Just food for thought.

Edit: Jesus, Denver doesn't even have a 2nd. These guys...

Last edited:
Where do people think Wilson will end up? He had a decent season this year so I would think some team would want him as a starter ... at much lower salary of course than Denver paid him.

Theoretically Pats could send Denver a 5th in exchange for Wilson and a 2nd, in order to relieve them of his contract. Then NE could either keep him for what would basically be 2 years/$54 million fully guaranteed ($27m per year), after which all future salaries are non-guaranteed, or they could immediately cut him before the 5th day of the 2024 league year hits in order to avoid his 2025 salary becoming guaranteed and just take a $17m cap hit in 2024 in exchange for a 2nd rounder.

Depends on what you think of Wilson. I think he has looked better under Payton this year but obviously not quite what he once was. If they wanted to go the "veteran QB starter, draft a rookie to develop in 2nd round to sit for a year or two" route then Wilson is an option and you might be able to get a pick back in the deal that you could use to select said rookie. Just food for thought.
Hard pass. I want the Pats to go all in to get Mayfield. He is only 28.

Last edited:
These guys keep signing these cap crippling contracts, only to find out they aren't getting the money. Meanwhile, Tom Brady was out there making sure they could field a winning team around him.
Tom Brady Peace GIF

How can they possibly take such a big cap hit? That's nuts.

At most, a future team would only be willing to defray the cost by taking $15m of it.

There will be other decent QBs available, like Kirk Cousins, maybe Sam Howell, Chicago's Fields, Kyler Murray, you never know.

At most, a future team would only be willing to defray the cost by taking $15m of it.

There will be other decent QBs available, like Kirk Cousins, maybe Sam Howell, Chicago's Fields, Kyler Murray, you never know.
I think their options are:

A) Cut him with a post-june 1st designation to eat around a $35M dead cap hit in 2024 and defer the remaining ~$50M dead cap hit to 2025
B) Find someone who will trade for him, which raises the 2024 dead cap hit to around ~$68M, but leaves the 2025 cap untouched

I don’t think any of it can be defrayed. No one is trading for that contract. They eat it all regardless of what his next free agent contract is.

I think their options are:

A) Cut him with a post-june 1st designation to eat around a $35M dead cap hit in 2024 and defer the remaining ~$50M dead cap hit to 2025
B) Find someone who will trade for him, which raises the 2024 dead cap hit to around ~$68M, but leaves the 2025 cap untouched
No one is trading for him.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back