PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Broncos Bench Wilson, Setting Up Offseason to Move on From Him

Theoretically Pats could send Denver a 5th in exchange for Wilson and a 2nd, in order to relieve them of his contract. Then NE could either keep him for what would basically be 2 years/$54 million fully guaranteed ($27m per year), after which all future salaries are non-guaranteed, or they could immediately cut him before the 5th day of the 2024 league year hits in order to avoid his 2025 salary becoming guaranteed and just take a $17m cap hit in 2024 in exchange for a 2nd rounder.

Depends on what you think of Wilson. I think he has looked better under Payton this year but obviously not quite what he once was. If they wanted to go the "veteran QB starter, draft a rookie to develop in 2nd round to sit for a year or two" route then Wilson is an option and you might be able to get a pick back in the deal that you could use to select said rookie. Or you just dump $17m off your 2024 cap for the pick. I think you'd get a credit if he signed with another team as a free agent as well. Just food for thought.

Edit: Jesus, Denver doesn't even have a 2nd. These guys...
This is good

Get all the bad ideas out of the way up front

No one is trading for him.
Someone traded for Brock Osweiler and Jared Goff...

It is possible, but yeah the Broncos will need to eat up most of the contract or give up picks to divest themselves of the contract though....

This is good

Get all the bad ideas out of the way up front
There are too many bad ideas already posted around here. Can’t get them all out of the way.

Jayden Daniels is the player I want the most in this Draft. It would be really enjoyable to see them with a QB with that kind of athleticism.
Jayden Daniels is who I want as well. And so far, the draft position drop would still allow us to pick him.

He is rising fast. He very well could go 2 or 3 now right after Williams and before Maye.
Jayden Daniels is who I want as well. And so far, the draft position drop would still allow us to pick him.
I'm coming around on him as well. Hand size is smaller than ideal and seems some reports question his short/intermediate velocity and accuracy. He looked ok to me. I wish he had Penix's arm. He's on a different level

Unfortunately I think he’s going to rise way up draft boards, and he could end up being the first pick overall. I hope I’m wrong, hopefully he will still be available.i would love to see them with a really athletic QB.

That's a lot of dead money...for as disappointing as Russ has been, I'd rather have him if I'm paying him anyways and not eat all his guaranteed money up front.

That's a lot of dead money...for as disappointing as Russ has been, I'd rather have him if I'm paying him anyways and not eat all his guaranteed money up front.
Payton likes Mac Jones.

Someone traded for Brock Osweiler and Jared Goff...

It is possible, but yeah the Broncos will need to eat up most of the contract or give up picks to divest themselves of the contract though....
Goff has his team in the playoffs.
Osweiler was traded for negative value

Too much. He has only looked really good for a few weeks and he has Mike Evans, Chris Godwin and Rachaad White. Think his market will be lower.
No he'll get that contract. He's a QB who just had a great season. Someone will pay. People continually underestimate how much the market for QB's is inflated.

It doesn't matter. He's not their guy anymore, everyone knows that and they'd rather rip the bandaid off and take a hit than sacrafice more years and even more money on a guy they don't want.

Theoretically Pats could send Denver a 5th in exchange for Wilson and a 2nd, in order to relieve them of his contract. Then NE could either keep him for what would basically be 2 years/$54 million fully guaranteed ($27m per year), after which all future salaries are non-guaranteed, or they could immediately cut him before the 5th day of the 2024 league year hits in order to avoid his 2025 salary becoming guaranteed and just take a $17m cap hit in 2024 in exchange for a 2nd rounder.

Depends on what you think of Wilson. I think he has looked better under Payton this year but obviously not quite what he once was. If they wanted to go the "veteran QB starter, draft a rookie to develop in 2nd round to sit for a year or two" route then Wilson is an option and you might be able to get a pick back in the deal that you could use to select said rookie. Or you just dump $17m off your 2024 cap for the pick. I think you'd get a credit if he signed with another team as a free agent as well. Just food for thought.

Edit: Jesus, Denver doesn't even have a 2nd. These guys...
So you think we should take a $17 million hit for a 2nd rounder.... half the value of the draft is getting players on a cheap contract. Just pay someone 17 million in free agency at that point.

Mayfield will cost big $. For once the Pats have it. I would guess 5 years 200 with 130 guaranteed.
I want no part of Wilson. Too much of a has been diva
Mayfield made himself some money we could have had him. Great move by the Bucs for a former #1.

1. Pats trade pick #140 (5th round) in exchange for Russell Wilson + picks #75 and #78 (3rd round)
2. Pats immediately cut Wilson, incurring a $17M dead cap hit in 2024
3. Pats draft Jayden Daniels with 1st round pick
4. Pats trade their 2nd + one of their three 3rds to move into late 1st to draft WR Brian Thomas Jr., Jayden Daniels' buddy
5. Pats still have a couple 3rds for OT prospects
As of today, they have ~$75M in cap space for 2024. Giving up a quarter of that for two thirds is insane.

As of today, they have ~$75M in cap space for 2024. Giving up a quarter of that for two thirds is insane.
It is unconventional, certainly. It's hard to say what the cash-per-pick calculation is. It's not something you see often. Maybe more can be squeezed out of Denver. Let's say - Denver's 1st + both 3rds + Wilson for NE's 2nd. NE loses a high 2nd but gains a mid 1st and two mid 3rds plus retains their own high 3rd for the price of $17M in cap. They can convert two of their 3rds into a 2nd via a draft-day trade, so would ultimately be like adding a mid 1st for $17M.

He is a prima donna and shell of his former self. No way he comes here.

Goff has his team in the playoffs.
Osweiler was traded for negative value

Yeah, both were traded for negative value...which was my point. The Broncos could find some cap relief by unloading Wilson and giving up a high pick....

Haven't read this thread but all I have to say is Payton is an total asshat. Comes across as seriously unlikable.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back