PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Porter and Munchak fined $10k each

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael Holley just made a good point on EEI. Considering the NFL takes into account repeated violations in their punishments (Deflategate punished more because of Spygate), shouldn't these guys have been fined more than $100,000 for impeding the field of play, since that's what Mike Tomlin on that same team got a few years back?

I'm sure the players will gladly pay that for him. Porter should have been flagged and Munchak should have been ejected.

Keep in mind, this punishment comes after the league sent out a memo (and we know how serious and important memos are) stressing sportsmanship prior to last weekend's games.

I'm sure the NFL is bummed out. If they hadn't sent that memo, they probably could have gotten away without fining the Steelers coaches at all.

I heard that the Steelers gave Porter a game ball after the Cinci game

There are only a couple of teams that I actually wouldn't mind getting knocked out of the playoffs by Denver, but Pittsburgh is one of them

Michael Holley just made a good point on EEI. Considering the NFL takes into account repeated violations in their punishments (Deflategate punished more because of Spygate), shouldn't these guys have been fined more than $100,000 for impeding the field of play, since that's what Mike Tomlin on that same team got a few years back?
Great point. The Jets were fined $100k as a team when their strength coach tripped a Dolphins player during a punt return, which was a first offense
NFL fines Jets $100,000 for TripGate

Then again, Rex Ryan jumped in front of a ref during a live play this year and there was nothing but a penalty flag.

Woody Johnson was only fined $100k for tampering with Revis negotiations after he received a warning for similar comments on DeSean Jackson. All previous tamper charges by other teams were punished by switching mid-round draft picks.
Jets fined $100G for tampering
Did Jets owner Woody Johnson violate NFL's tampering policy?

It's not like the first offense saved the Patriots' first rounder in 2008, it's really just a talking point in assessing Goodell's wildly arbitrary punishments. It seems like the difference between fine, draft pick, stern warning or nothing at all really depends on how much media coverage it gets.

I heard that the Steelers gave Porter a game ball after the Cinci game

There are only a couple of teams that I actually wouldn't mind getting knocked out of the playoffs by Denver, but Pittsburgh is one of them
Yeah, and that game ball was stuffed with 10,000 ones...

If that's all it is maybe our coaches should start doing that.

LOL @ the NFL.
If our coaches did that...integrity of the game...blah blah...first round pick gone.

That's it? ****, we should start sending our guys onto the field after every play.

I will dress as a mascot and volunteer to do this.

One thing I don't quite understand is that Spygate was considered a team offense (hence the draft pick lost from the team). However Deflategate I've always thought was considered a Tom Brady offense, so why was Deflategate punished more because of what happened with Spygate? Futhermore why was the team penalized for an action one player is "said " to have commited? If a player is caught using drugs, the team isn't fined or has their draft pick taken away. There seems to be no set of fair and consistent rulings in the NFL, which is quite frankly ridiculous.

Goodell*'s hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Goodell*'s hypocrisy knows no bounds.
It has bounds.

Is he getting crushed, in the media, nationally?
Does it involve the Patriots?

If it isn't either of those, he can go more lenient, otherwise it gets blown up and his media arm is told what narrative to push forth and he comes with a new/more than maximum penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes