PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our Seven Man Secondary and Dowling (and the importance of ST players on a roster)

Re: Our Seven Man Secondary and Dowling (and the importance of ST players on a roster

Not to beat a dead horse, but a couple things to keep in mind, and my final point on the matter:

- When talking about CB-depth vs. a gunner, keep in mind, there were 60 punt plays for the Patriots last year (side note: only 23 of those were returned, so those of you ready to write off Mesko for the UDFA, keep in mind - he did his job well). Eight cornerbacks played more than 60 snaps for the Patriots. Cole had the 6th most snaps and still in at 197. So, just keep in mind just how far deep we go on that CB depth chart nowadays, and just how important CB depth is now in the pass-happy league.

- Looking back at some of the championship rosters, there is no argument that we had less perennial STers on the roster, and that our depth at positions such as LB and DB went deeper. And again, a big part of this was guys panning out and turning out to be good 4 down players.

- Value is a cumulative thing, ST factors in, and if you are a player with a huge VORP over another player on ST plays, that gives you a huge edge on back-end roster spots. But Belichick wants 4 down players, and carrying seven ST guys last year was more a result of not having cheap well-rounded alternatives at LB & DB spots as we have had at times in the past.

- Guess who was 3rd on our team in ST tackles last year? Kyle Arrington, who was second in snaps at corner last year. A four down player, and rewarded as such in the offseason.

Re: Our Seven Man Secondary and Dowling (and the importance of ST players on a roster

Brady was definitely not on IR or anything like it. The rest of your list speaks for itself. Th only one that I would consider a solid contributor was Ben Watson who is still in the league contributing. The rest did contribute some, but not much.
You asked for 1 contributor ever who spent their first year on the IR.
I gave you 4 plus pointed out Brady was essentially a redshirt.
How can you criticize my answer by changing the question? You didn't say anything about MAJOR or still in the league.

How can you criticize my answer by changing the question? You didn't say anything about MAJOR or still in the league.

It wasn't a criticism, it was a refinement. And a relevant one to the conversation.

I didn't "criticize" your answer. Chill!

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back