PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pat Chung's clean hit on Henne

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like he nailed him in the chin... That's part of the head right?

Chock it up as perception. Like when Bart Scott got flagged 15 yards for Unnessesary Roughness when it looked like he kicked Wes Welker when Welker was on the ground. The replay showed he didn't, but it still looked that way when the refs made the call.

The difference is that in that game the announces were saying it shouldn't have been called, upon further review. For some reason, Gumbel and Dummy kept going on about the Chung call being a good one yesterday.

:confused2:

Looks like his helmet wasnt off to the side. He lead with it, I really don't see how it wasnt a penalty.

No. It looks like it, but that is the whiplash. If he hit him in the chin, the helmet would already be going back by the time Chung's hit is felt.

But if you pause it right at the moment Chung makes full contact, Henne's helmet is still vertical.

You need to use the pause button ... never touched the chin ... at all.

Chung's head and chest hit Henne's left shoulder ... ie not the middle of the mask. If he hit the mask it would have been the left side of the mask, the right shoulder and Henne's head would have went to the right ... it went straight back due to his chest going straight back due to the blow to the chest.

Last edited:
Look at the END of the play!!!! Jeezus are you BLIND or what???? It's BURGESS with the helmet to helmet hit...good God you're obtuse. The ref made a mistake naming Chung, he meant Burgess, just as Smerlas and DeOssie said this afternoon and just as it SHOWS on this clip.

It doesn't look to me like he actually made physical contact with any part of Henne above the shoulder pads, and that Henne's head snapped back from the force of impact of the hit rather than from direct contact. Nevertheless, coming in that high and leading with the helmet is going to draw a penalty every time in this NFL, right or wrong. If the goal is to protect the QB, coming in that high is getting into dangerous territory where you can cause a debilitating injury. If that had been Brady getting hit, I think most of us would have wanted a penalty.

I think it was a clean hit, and a great hit, but a dumb hit to go in that high. But the NFL certainly isn't making it easy for defenders. It's sort of like a "strike zone" in baseball for a legal hit these days - above the knees and below the numbers - but with a moving target.

It is still a penalty, just not a blow to the head.

You can't launch yourself and hit with the crown of your helmet. That rule is in place to protect the tackler as much as the player being tackled.

It was called correctly.

Looks like his helmet wasnt off to the side. He lead with it, I really don't see how it wasnt a penalty.

That isn't a penalty. Leading with the CROWN of the helmet is a penalty. That's spearing.

At the .12 mark you see less than 1/2 of Chung's helmet yet Henne's head is still vertical. That would be impossible if Chung hit him in the chin or any part of the mask. You can see henne's entire mask in that shot. I wish I knew how to screen capture those things.

Last edited:

You can't launch yourself and hit with the crown of your helmet. That rule is in place to protect the tackler as much as the player being tackled.

It was called correctly.

are you a complete moron or what? I just posted who the penalty was really called on. Look at the clip again...Burgess hits Henne helmet to helmet at the end AFTER Chung's initial hit. THAT'S the RTP penalty.

The point is any defensive player these days should avoid hitting a QB anywhere in the chest area upwards else he's just asking for a flag.

It was called correctly.

Do you know what the crown of the helmet is?

All I have to say is that I think Chung is awesome. He reminds me a lot of Rodney.

are you a complete moron or what? I just posted who the penalty was really called on. Look at the clip again...Burgess hits Henne helmet to helmet at the end AFTER Chung's initial hit. THAT'S the RTP penalty.

Ease up on the name calling.

If you watch, he lowered his head just before delivering the blow. That is why it was called. If he kept his eyes up it would not have been a penalty.

Look at the END of the play!!!! Jeezus are you BLIND or what???? It's BURGESS with the helmet to helmet hit...good God you're obtuse. The ref made a mistake naming Chung, he meant Burgess, just as Smerlas and DeOssie said this afternoon and just as it SHOWS on this clip.

:eek: WOW! Thanks, man. I totally see it now that you pointed it out. I guess that's waht I get for listening to Dan the Dumba** on the replay.

Yes, Burgess clearly hit him in the head with his helmet. Totally justified 15 yard penalty.

at 21 seconds elapsed on that clip,#53 hits Henne HELMET TO HELMET...if you don't understand elapsed time on a you tube clip and how to get it to 21 seconds elapsed, ask a three year old kid to help...jeezus

Also ... Burgess's helmet is stuck under Vernon Carey's head and body. Hard to see how Burgess avoids that as it's impossible for him to lift his head up.

This is all very interesting, but the penalty was on BURGESS, not Chung. If you watch the video you see that burgess comes around the tackle and makes helmet to helmet contact with Henne on Henne's way down. Dierdorf notes (correctly) that the penalty was on Burgess and then (incorrectly) reasons that the official must have meant Chung.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents