PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Daily News Thread Patriots Monday 11/20/23

Daily news threads with relevant news, stories, video, or additional content around the team. Feel free to contribute anything interesting you come across as well, which will hopefully make these helpful for people to keep up with what's going on with the team by having all the news in one place.
100 percent this
If he knows there is no fear of being hit he can play well.
But when it’s real he becomes a Shook one.
It's no secret on how to defend Jones all you have to do is Blitz just the look scares him. :rolleyes:
Scared Dog GIF

It's sad. It seems as if the whole team was riding high after that Bills win.
It could have been something of a "turn-the-corner" type of game for Mac and this '23 team.
But alas, it has crashed and burned since, and now the poor Offense can't really feel good about anyone of the 3 options.

Which makes me say, if they really want to test anyone out for next year - it should be Malik.

I’d like to see Zappe play. The offense under 10 is constipated. It seems like it has no identity or purpose, but when Zappe played it there seemed to be a plan.
There was a comment by a reporter today that if Zappe plays at least you know he will follow the coaching.
As I watch film I see 10 not throw to the guy the play is designed for, either because he isn’t staying on the read long enough or just abandons it for a check down.
The more I watch the more I see a qb who simply doesn’t get it, and the
result is you can’t call effective plays because they don’t get run as designed.
Last year toward the end of the season we started throwing screens all day, and I think that’s because it’s the only way to get 10 to execute properly.

I’d like to see Zappe play. The offense under 10 is constipated. It seems like it has no identity or purpose, but when Zappe played it there seemed to be a plan.
There was a comment by a reporter today that if Zappe plays at least you know he will follow the coaching.
As I watch film I see 10 not throw to the guy the play is designed for, either because he isn’t staying on the read long enough or just abandons it for a check down.
The more I watch the more I see a qb who simply doesn’t get it, and the
result is you can’t call effective plays because they don’t get run as designed.

Last year toward the end of the season we started throwing screens all day, and I think that’s because it’s the only way to get 10 to execute properly.
Not being a wise-guy but do you have any examples of this? Quite honestly, I haven't cared to look into it as much since our blow-out streak earlier in season. Hard to tell on game film whether its receivers not open, mac making wrong decisions, or terrible OL play (probably a perfect storm of all three at once). Its also hard to tell on a given play where ball was "designed" to go (for me, at least).

Not being a wise-guy but do you have any examples of this? Quite honestly, I haven't cared to look into it as much since our blow-out streak earlier in season. Hard to tell on game film whether its receivers not open, mac making wrong decisions, or terrible OL play (probably a perfect storm of all three at once). Its also hard to tell on a given play where ball was "designed" to go (for me, at least).
I believe it was Evan Lazar who did a break down of 3-4 plays from the Colts game where the playcall was perfect and Mac managed to make the only bad decision.

Not being a wise-guy but do you have any examples of this? Quite honestly, I haven't cared to look into it as much since our blow-out streak earlier in season. Hard to tell on game film whether its receivers not open, mac making wrong decisions, or terrible OL play (probably a perfect storm of all three at once). It’s also hard to tell on a given play where ball was "designed" to go (for me, at least).
You have to watch the all22.
There was a discussion on here last week about a play where 10 tripped over a rusher laying on the ground, and it’s a perfect example.
Pre snap read was clearly cover2 and post snap was clearly cover2.
Juju was split left and ran a skinny post at the numbers, the corner sat down at maybe 8 yards and the safety was 20 yards deep and still inside.
No question at all that play call says if cover2 throw to juju. He never really looked then tripped over a guy laying on the ground. That was a 20 yard play left on the field. It happens all the time with 10.

If you look at the coverage, and then see what the routes did, it’s pretty clear where it’s designed to go.
There was an analyst who did a review of a ton of plays in 2021, and his point, which was obvious in the film review was the receivers were coming open but 10 had already given up on them (before the route matured) and just checked down.
He’s looking in the wrong place at the wrong time consistently.

There were a couple other examples highlighted recently, then one that BOB was pissed about and the play kyed(?) highlighted where 10 checked into a play with gesicki as the primary target, he got wide open and 10 didn’t throw to him.

If you watch the all22 these things are happening consistently.

I agree. Mac is not seeing the open guy in about 4 out of 5 plays. It's not that he can't be a decent NFL starter, but he's lost all confidence, is so gummed up with pressure, he is running scared.
And may he was never that good or consistent, it's just at Bama there was a huge coat tail to ride.
So, I don't need to see Zappe anymore, there's no future there either.
For entertainment and scouting - I'd like to see Malik run with it now.

I'd like to see how Mac does on a well coached team.

Which is not this team and that starts from the current HC all the way down.

Good points about practice performance. I am sure Mac looks very good in practice because he's not getting touched, he has nothing to be afraid of. He can stay engaged and think through the play correctly as it develops. It's when things are live and he has guys coming after him that he melts down and his brain fries.

We've definitely heard of players who look good in practice but can't handle the pressure of a real game. It seems like Mac is that guy. The reverse of being clutch.

I am sure if he was either surrounded by an absolutely killer OL that never let him get touched, even against the blitz, he'd be decent - but you're likely sacrificing a lot elsewhere to get to that point, so it seems like a misallocation of resources.

Bill Belichick employs a defensive strategy where he tries to take away what the opposing offense does best, but I am not sure we want to take away having Tommy DeVito getting sacked.

I'd like to see how Mac does on a well coached team.

Which is not this team and that starts from the current HC all the way down.
He is on a team coached by the GOAT.
The problem is it doesn’t matter because 10 is a coach killer.
When the person making decisions on the girls doesn’t do what he is coached to do, no amount of coaching can overcome that.

Bill Belichick employs a defensive strategy where he tries to take away what the opposing offense does best, but I am not sure we want to take away having Tommy DeVito getting sacked.
Someone should tell his mom that he was swearing. Maybe she'll ground him so he can't play Sunday.

Good points about practice performance. I am sure Mac looks very good in practice because he's not getting touched, he has nothing to be afraid of. He can stay engaged and think through the play correctly as it develops. It's when things are live and he has guys coming after him that he melts down and his brain fries.

We've definitely heard of players who look good in practice but can't handle the pressure of a real game. It seems like Mac is that guy. The reverse of being clutch.

I am sure if he was either surrounded by an absolutely killer OL that never let him get touched, even against the blitz, he'd be decent - but you're likely sacrificing a lot elsewhere to get to that point, so it seems like a misallocation of resources.
I’m not even sure it’s just pressure or if he can’t handle the speed of the game.

The play where he tripped over the guy on the ground, clearly he had to know if he got that coverage juju will come wide open. But I think he can’t process fast enough. He sees a guy fall to the ground near him, who by the way shouldn’t have mattered because he couldn’t legally hit him from the ground, and every plan Goya out the window. 90% if the QBs in the nfl, including backups, KNOW that route is there and does t even require a good throw, just get it in the vicinity.
I think it’s an attention span problem honestly.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back