PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots new OC - Alex Van Pelt

I'm a big fan of Drew Allar at Penn State. He has horrible support there (poor OC, no WRs) but he looks fantastic. I like the fact that even with no WRs and with OCs that get fired in the middle of the year, he hardly ever throws an INT. He's one to watch.
Drew is a solid a QB name just saying

Has anyone seen Ken? A lot going on, wondering what he thinks about all this. I think he was high on bringing Josh back.
Ken posted here recently. He said he'd been away from the Forum because of incessant negativity.

Once again, when has a championship team ever been built around a tackle? That’s not dismissing the importance of the position, but the browns drafted Joe Thomas, he had a HIF. career and they went through numerous QB’s and never won anything.
Okay I see your point Joe Thomas never won a championship despite being a HOF player on a crappy Browns team.

Which position do you deem more important, a LT or a WR. Because what MHJ is being described as to WR, Joe Alt is in the same category but with tackles.

It’s also worth mentioning this draft class is full or very good WRs that can be had in the 2nd and 3rd round, that’s how deep it is.

Okay I see your point Joe Thomas never won a championship despite being a HOF player on a crappy Browns team.

Which position do you deem more important, a LT or a WR. Because what MHJ is being described as to WR, Joe Alt is in the same category but with tackles.

It’s also worth mentioning this draft class is full or very good WRs that can be had in the 2nd and 3rd round, that’s how deep it is.
The truth is that great left tackles are becoming harder and harder to find, meanwhile great wide receivers are becoming more and more common. Yet despite this, teams continue to want to draft WRs first and tackles second. If they’re not going to take a QB at 3 then they may as well see if Atlanta will swap them pick 8 for a nice haul, take a tackle there, then load up at other positions including receiver with all their extra picks.

The truth is that great left tackles are becoming harder and harder to find, meanwhile great wide receivers are becoming more and more common. Yet despite this, teams continue to want to draft WRs first and tackles second. If they’re not going to take a QB at 3 then they may as well see if Atlanta will swap them pick 8 for a nice haul, take a tackle there, then load up at other positions including receiver with all their extra picks.
I hope they take a QB at 3, whether it’s Maye or Daniels. I agree, great LTs are more difficult to find than great WRs.

Not sure either of the top two tackles will be there at 8.

How would he be able to tell? Not sure anyone knew what they were running.
Attempting to run and successfully running is another thing all together.
Now we know how bad Mac failed in that system , I will sleep much better when he gets his walking papers.

Alt will be gone by #8. Rather trade w/ LAC or NYG.

I hope they take a QB at 3, whether it’s Maye or Daniels. I agree, great LTs are more difficult to find than great WRs.

Not sure either of the top two tackles will be there at 8.
Maybe if we trade back we should go defense then. I think you have 3QBs, a WR, and 2 tackles off the board already and we're now on the clock at 8.

I'll be so disappointed if we trade back. They need to be trying to figure out how to move up for the 1 of these 3 QBs they really want.

Alt will be gone by #8. Rather trade w/ LAC or NYG.
Wasn’t necessarily saying it had to be Alt but he would be preferable. If you can get a trade done with one of those two teams it would be better. Atlanta just seems like the most willing partner to me since they have the biggest need at QB. Maybe Harbaugh will be willing to move up two spots for Harrison Jr.

Build a team and the QB will come. Just hope that we get our franchise QB in the 4th, in the 6th or even the 7th. After all, top picks have failed lots of times, and franchise QB's have been found throughout the draft. NOT!
======================
We need to try for a top QB or risk becoming the Browns.

Alternatively, we can build a top team and hope that we can pick up an average QB that will bring us to glory. Somehow, the 49ers have done both.

This dude is pretty creative. I like it.
That’s the thing. Stefanski called the plays, but Van Pelt was designing them.

Build a team and the QB will come. Just hope that we get our franchise QB in the 4th, in the 6th or even the 7th. After all, top picks have failed lots of times, and franchise QB's have been found throughout the draft. NOT!
======================
We need to try for a top QB or risk becoming the Browns.

Alternatively, we can build a top team and hope that we can pick up an average QB that will bring us to glory. Somehow, the 49ers have done both.
It’s two different ways of looking at it. With such a high pick, but a dearth of offensive talent, the Patriots have two paths they can take.

They can swing on a QB high and hope it works. If it does, they’re in a great spot but still have some holes, and hopefully the QB’s development isn’t hindered by them. If the QB doesn’t work out then they’re back to square 1 sucking.

They can trade down, take a left tackle, and use their extra picks from the trade to build up areas that need it - a right tackle, receiver, tight end, probably another running back, maybe even a fullback. They can also use their cap space advantage to add veterans here, and take a QB in the middle rounds, let him sit behind a veteran and develop and then see how he does later behind a better built overall team. The team has a higher “floor” and more likely to finish closer to .500 but high end potential is capped unless that QB is a sleeper hit. However, they can keep taking QBs in future years until they find one that has what it takes, but that does mean potential long term relative mediocrity.

Both sides have some merit. If you asked me what’s more likely, just based on how the team has done business for a long time, I would probably expect them to lean towards the latter. I saw a story today in the Athletic from Jeff Howe about how “if Wolf is the GM, they’ll look to draft a LT at 3.” I don’t think they actually would do this, but it’s sending an early signal out to other teams that the third pick is not going to be used on a QB and is open for trade if some team wants it. I also saw Rapoport say that Van Pelt will have a day in QB selection - that didn’t make sense if they were locked into who was left at the 3rd slot, but if they trade down and are looking to take a guy in the 2nd or with a trade up into the late 1st then they could ask Van Pelt who he likes out of guys like McCarthy, Nix, Penix, etc and target that guy. Food for thought.

It’s two different ways of looking at it. With such a high pick, but a dearth of offensive talent, the Patriots have two paths they can take.

They can swing on a QB high and hope it works. If it does, they’re in a great spot but still have some holes, and hopefully the QB’s development isn’t hindered by them. If the QB doesn’t work out then they’re back to square 1 sucking.

They can trade down, take a left tackle, and use their extra picks from the trade to build up areas that need it - a right tackle, receiver, tight end, probably another running back, maybe even a fullback. They can also use their cap space advantage to add veterans here, and take a QB in the middle rounds, let him sit behind a veteran and develop and then see how he does later behind a better built overall team. The team has a higher “floor” and more likely to finish closer to .500 but high end potential is capped unless that QB is a sleeper hit. However, they can keep taking QBs in future years until they find one that has what it takes, but that does mean potential long term relative mediocrity.

Both sides have some merit. If you asked me what’s more likely, just based on how the team has done business for a long time, I would probably expect them to lean towards the latter. I saw a story today in the Athletic from Jeff Howe about how “if Wolf is the GM, they’ll look to draft a LT at 3.” I don’t think they actually would do this, but it’s sending an early signal out to other teams that the third pick is not going to be used on a QB and is open for trade if some team wants it. I also saw Rapoport say that Van Pelt will have a day in QB selection - that didn’t make sense if they were locked into who was left at the 3rd slot, but if they trade down and are looking to take a guy in the 2nd or with a trade up into the late 1st then they could ask Van Pelt who he likes out of guys like McCarthy, Nix, Penix, etc and target that guy. Food for thought.
Yea, this is like anything else in football. If your QB pick pans out, you're a genius. If it doesn't, you crapped the bed. If you make that 4th and 3, you're a savant. If you don't, you suck and should be fired. Lol

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back