PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Daily News Thread Patriots Tuesday 10/24/23

Daily news threads with relevant news, stories, video, or additional content around the team. Feel free to contribute anything interesting you come across as well, which will hopefully make these helpful for people to keep up with what's going on with the team by having all the news in one place.
I don't think the team or offense has to be completely rebuilt. I am not sure why you ask. Clearly an OT, maybe a LT and move T Brown to RT, would be great, a #1 WR, and a functioning QB would help a lot. Mac was functioning well against Buffalo. Let's hope Mac builds on that. We can pick up the other offensive pieces in FA or the draft- the Pats cap room provides a lot of flexibility.
Why do I ask? Reading the posts of the last 10 days should answer that question. We have a lot of cap money. I don't see how this off-season is much different than others. And, we can do something NEW. We can more cap money into the future, as other successful teams do.

If we re-sign our free agents, we do NOT have a huge number of needs that need to be met so as to make us competitive. Yes, we have needs at QB, OT and WR.

WHAT IF WE RE-SIGN OUR FREE AGENTS? THEN, WHERE ARE WE?

SPECIAL TEAMS
We're fine. We have our punter, kicker and our punt returner will be back from IR. Schooler will be the ST captain.

DEFENSE
We have a top 5 Defense with the return of Judon, Gonzalez, White and Ekuale.

OFFENSE - RB
the same as this year

OFFENSE - WR - MAJOR NEED
Bourne, Douglas and pray for rain. Obviously, the rest of our receivers have shown nothing. One or two could step up.

OFFENSIVE LINE - MAJOR NEED
1) Our current FIVE starters are a solid OL.
2) Yes, we need backups and a young stud at OT.
3) We probably need to draft more IOL help.

QUARTERBACK - MAJOR NEED?
1) We need a starter
2) We need a veteran backup
========================
LET'S BE REAL
The team we saw on Sunday plus those returning from IR would be in the mix for the playoffs in 2024, especially given our weaker schedule. The major issue would be keeping the OL healthy.

I don't think the team or offense has to be completely rebuilt. I am not sure why you ask. Clearly an OT, maybe a LT and move T Brown to RT, would be great, a #1 WR, and a functioning QB would help a lot. Mac was functioning well against Buffalo. Let's hope Mac builds on that. We can pick up the other offensive pieces in FA or the draft- the Pats cap room provides a lot of flexibility.
If we had our current OL healthy since Day One and throughout the year, this team would be in the playoff hunt. Well, perhaps we would have needed Judon, or Gonzales.

That is very far from posters' assessment of being the worst team in the league, in need of a total rebuild.

Last edited:
If we had our current OL healthy since Day One and throughout the year, this team would be in the playoff hunt. Well, perhaps we would have need Judon, or Gonzales.

That is very far from posters' assessment of being the worst team in the league, in need of a total rebuild.
It appears the issue with the team was coaching?
the game plan was great on both sides of the ball last Sunday.
But my wife whos a casual fan was even like this looks like a different team.
I have to blame the previous game plans and that’s coaching.

It appears the issue with the team was coaching?
the game plan was great on both sides of the ball last Sunday.
But my wife whos a casual fan was even like this looks like a different team.
I have to blame the previous game plans and that’s coaching.
You blame past game plans, and I blame the health of the OL. Also, if we had Gonzo and Judon, we would have more points off defensive play.

Let me be clear, what happened when Brown was out for THREE plays? If Brown were out for the entire game, we would have little hope. If Brown were out for the last drive, we likely would have lost.

Sure, the game plan worked when we had 5 healthy OL's and almost no pressures on Mac.

Some part of me wonders if Bill and Mac have seen the calls for them both to lose their jobs in the media and have bonded together over it. I kind of expected there would be a lot more reported hostility by now but it's been kinda quiet and instead they just got a big win against a major AFC power team.

Now Bill gets fresh bulletin board material like Richard Sherman saying "that's nice but they still suck, they won't sniff the playoffs" etc. Bill absolutely loves the "nobody believes in you" card.
What the win did was more significant than just the standings and the division. It likely gave this team internally something they sorely needed. Mac has a comeback drive against a playoff team and, a teams that has had thier number.

He was the reason they win the game instead of the opposite. Richard Sherman is and always been a patriots hater since the " you mad bro" comments to Brady. So no suprise there. He won't talk about how Jules torched him in the superbowl catch after catch. However this team is riding high in confidence and just maybe they can go on some sort of a run. If so it'll be important to get to the bye week healthy with no more major injuries.

Juju is going be on us like a cheap suit very difficult contract to shed unless we plan on eating the dead $$$$. I wouldn't be against it terrible signing knowing what we do now.
Juju was never healthy to begin with. I've mentioned he's a far better player than what he's shown. Should have been on PUP to start the season. Parker judging by his snap count and production.. 14 yards the last 2 games. I believe he gets shopped.

I think the weakness of Mac's arm is a greater factor in his play than we are comfortable admitting. Neither he nor we can change this fact, but we can at least be honest about the depth of its ramifications. It may or may not be a disqualifying limitation, but it is a limitation, one with consequences.

By the way, I am aware that TB12, for example, improved his arm strength significantly over his career, but I do not think he started with nearly the deficit in this area that Mac suffers.

Juju was never healthy to begin with. I've mentioned he's a far better player than what he's shown. Should have been on PUP to start the season. Parker judging by his snap count and production.. 14 yards the last 2 games. I believe he gets shopped.
Real: nobody wants Parker :mad: I see 10 Rookie WR's that I would take over him right now that should tell ya.

I think the weakness of Mac's arm is a greater factor in his play than we are comfortable admitting. Neither he nor we can change this fact, but we can at least be honest about the depth of its ramifications. It may or may not be a disqualifying limitation, but it is a limitation, one with consequences.

By the way, I am aware that TB12, for example, improved his arm strength significantly over his career, but I do not think he started with nearly the deficit in this area that Mac suffers.
Duly noted we are hoping Mac can be a poor mans Drew Brees throwing wise but he could be good with very good Talent and mediocre with mediocre talent. Mac is a QB who will be a product of his environment good or bad.

Parker and a 6th for a 7th :), or would we need to give a 5th?

I suspect that we will move Reagor up the 53 this week, and then cut or trade a player before the trade deadline.

Duly noted we are hoping Mac can be a poor mans Drew Brees throwing wise but he could be good with very good Talent not mediocre around him.
I agree with this. I just worry that the one thing he can't do much about might trip him up. I hope not. I'm rooting for him, and I feel sorry for the dismal support he has had to this point. As of now, I would favor keeping him another year for a genuine evaluation of his skills and as a chance to develop under hopefully better circumstances. He'd make a decent pairing with a drafted qb who requires development. His play is adequate as a perhaps-temporary starter, and a competition would likely help both players.

Real: nobody wants Parker :mad: I see 10 Rookie WR's that I would take over him right now that should tell ya.
Yes, we foolishly signed him. I don't know what BB/Groh say that they felt the need to extend him.. KB should have been the guy extended if anything. From here on out.. go with the play makers.. Douglas, KB, Henry, Reagor should even get time over Parker.

I agree with this. I just worry that the one thing he can't do much about might trip him up. I hope not. I'm rooting for him, and I feel sorry for the dismal support he has had to this point. As of now, I would favor keeping him another year for a genuine evaluation of his skills and as a chance to develop under hopefully better circumstances. He'd make a decent pairing with a drafted qb who requires development. His play is adequate as a perhaps-temporary starter, and a competition would likely help both players.
I think if Mac get a #1 Type WR we see a Kirk Cousins/Goff type QB.

Parker and a 6th for a 7th :), or would we need to give a 5th?

I suspect that we will move Reagor up the 53 this week, and then cut or trade a player before the trade deadline.
Yes agreed. I mentioned about Reagor to @PatsFan2. He should be in the starting rotation. Somehow I hope juju stays on long term IR to get fully healthy. I would like Parker for a 5th and a defensive player for depth on the defensive line?

Yes, we foolishly signed him. I don't know what BB/Groh say that they felt the need to extend him.. KB should have been the guy extended if anything. From here on out.. go with the play makers.. Douglas, KB, Henry, Reagor should even get time over Parker.
We were all doing this. :rolleyes: BB must have been off his rocker ok Parker makes a play against Miles away Bryant in Practice doesn't translate to the real NFL World.

Give Me A Break Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

Last edited:
Yes agreed. I mentioned about Reagor to @PatsFan2. He should be in the starting rotation. Somehow I hope juju stays on long term IR to get fully healthy. I would like Parker for a 5th and a defensive player for depth on the defensive line?
Reagor looks good on those Slants I hope the plan is to keep him on long term Reagor > Parker Anyboy > Parker.:rolleyes:

It's a reasonable hope.
The issue is that a team would need to take on Parker's 2024 contract guarantees.

UNREASONABLE
Parker AND a player for a 5th

HOPEFUL
Parker for a 5th

MORE LIKELY
Parker for a 6th

PERHAPS
Parker and a 7th for a 6th

Pay Onwenu to stay a few years as the right tackle of the future, make Sow the new right guard of the future. Strange is your left guard, hopefully Jake Andrews can take over for David Andrews in 1-2 years. Left tackle needs to be figured out but it is Brown for now and maybe you can keep him another 1-2 years, he shouldn't be that expensive. Pay him a little more next year than you did this year since he'll know he's the LT this time and he should be happy. Draft developmental tackles and see what you find.

At that point I think things could start to fall into place. Mac showed us yesterday that even against an aggressive defensive line, if the OL is good and picking things up and he trusts them, he will stand his ground. So build a good OL and you are moving in the right direction. A "true #1 WR" would be great but Mac will hit the open man quickly if they can protect for 2.5 seconds consistently. Maybe they can pony up for Mike Evans as a free agent. The cash is available.

Reagor looks good on those Slants I hope the plan is to keep him on long term Reagor > Parker Anyboy > Parker.:rolleyes:
It took the national embarrassment from the media and that can put pressure on a team to make changes. Reagor is useful. Parker is a quitter. When he's not injured he does nothing on the field.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back