PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Daily News Thread Patriots Wednesday 9/27/23

Daily news threads with relevant news, stories, video, or additional content around the team. Feel free to contribute anything interesting you come across as well, which will hopefully make these helpful for people to keep up with what's going on with the team by having all the news in one place.
The QB School video on Mac Jones I saw him do last year was mostly JT politely disagreeing with Matt Patricia's play designs. I was glad to see the amount of positivity there was in this video.
Yeah, that's another nice thing about this vid - he loves the play designs of BOB, though he did find one Gesicki route slightly funky.

I'd like to see Carl Davis back after his mature and rare comments following his release. He's more similar to Ekuale - and I correctly picked Ekuale as making it over Davis, but in the short term to fill a backup PS spot, why not bring the guy you have history with and knows the locker room.
Depends on where Davis is now. "I'm a lazy sod; that's just the way I am" or "I was a lazy sod; let's get down to work". Recognition of a fault is only the first step. Deciding to correct the fault comes next. It seems like he wants to move forward but the evidence is pretty scant.

Yeah, that's another nice thing about this vid - he loves the play designs of BOB, though he did find one Gesicki route slightly funky.
I kind of wish he'd get into some of the plays that didn't work, so those of us who aren't any good at Xs and Os could have an idea why they weren't working.

I'd like to see Carl Davis back after his mature and rare comments following his release. He's more similar to Ekuale - and I correctly picked Ekuale as making it over Davis, but in the short term to fill a backup PS spot, why not bring the guy you have history with and knows the locker room.
Davis doesn't play the same position as Ekuale. So bringing him back doesn't solve the issue. You're better off with Matt Ionnidas or Akiem Hicks.

While I applaud his toughness, get Strange healthy. His athleticism is his strength, if he's hobbled it diminishes what he does well and they options now with Mafi, Sow and Russey.

Also DT Manny Jones is a jag, bring in someone else... please.

Yeah. So he's a JAG. He's on the PS. Not the main roster. You're starting to whine like Captain Stone.

Did you stop and think that maybe they tried going after other people and that's who they could get? It's not like the Pats are FLUSH with cap space having just 4.6M. Jones is a whopping $240K hit in total. He was on the Pitt Practice Squad before being signed last year by AZ. He played a few games with them. He had 6 tackles (2/4) in 4 games. You're acting like they dropped 4M on the guy.

Wouldn't have been so back and forth had Rodney not gotten his arm broken. Rodney was an immense presence on the defense.
Rodney broke his arm on the last Panther's possession, if I recall.

Yeah. So he's a JAG. He's on the PS. Not the main roster. You're starting to whine like Captain Stone.

Did you stop and think that maybe they tried going after other people and that's who they could get? It's not like the Pats are FLUSH with cap space having just 4.6M. Jones is a whopping $240K hit in total. He was on the Pitt Practice Squad before being signed last year by AZ. He played a few games with them. He had 6 tackles (2/4) in 4 games. You're acting like they dropped 4M on the guy.
I’ll hold off any further criticism until they promote jag Jeremiah Pharms to the active roster. If they make a move to actually strengthen the team I’ll applaud it.

Even still, at this point in the season I have 4 non-QB players rated significantly more valuable than Purdy or Hurts.
Jefferson, Hill, McCaffrey, Parsons

On the SF roster, Purdy might be 3rd or 4th most valuable.
Once Purdy got hurt in last year's NFCCG, their odds of winning went from favorable to zero. You think there are 3 guys on that team who are more valuable than that?

Once Purdy got hurt in last year's NFCCG, their odds of winning went from favorable to zero. You think there are 3 guys on that team who are more valuable than that?
It was after the back-up QB got hurt (Johnson?) and SF had to thus play without a passing game that there was no way they would win. Any QB would have given them a chance.

Mac's performance has to be understood in the context of our pass protection. We're currently ranked 31st by this composite measure:

View attachment 53179

So are the QBs winning or the OLs : )

Note that this is a very small sample size. You have some OLs playing 3 average fronts and others 3 strong fronts.
f.e. Pats OL playing quite tough DL schedule. Then there are schemes, calls, situations etc etc. Its not as straight they'd want you to believe.

Also note that these are very subjective grades by diverse army of noname evaluators (f.e.PFF). No disrespect.

Still, it does paint a picture.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back