PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Players have too much control

If the NBA doesn’t keep expanding into foreign markets it’s going to eat itself. The NFL doesn’t have that luxury as much as they try this sport is American

As I stated....

1) The whole draft takes place among ~250 college kids, none of whom are in the Union, and yet they are already constrained by the CBA. Joe Sixpack can go work for whatever auto manufacturer he wants and isn't constrained by the CBA until after he joins. Chevy, Ford and GM don't get together and decide only one of them has the right to hire him before he's even hired.

2) The NFLPA is drastically different in that they negotiate "every man for himself." This is radically different from every other Union where the whole purpose is to have everyone treated and paid equally (subject to seniority, time in role, etc)

3) Other Unions actively fight against two-tiered systems where the new employees get screwed over. I am not saying they always win those fights, but there is arguably a good faith attempt on the part of the Unions to represent the current and future employees. That isn't the case here, where the current players are all too eager to screw over the next generation. Less for them means more for me.

And, as this thread so clearly demonstrates, some people just don't give a crap about fundamental unfairness when large salaries are involved.
per your comment,the employees fight to screw over their future fellow employees . if they don't care about their future teammates,why should anyone outside the profession care?

per your comment,the employees fight to screw over their future fellow employees . if they don't care about their future teammates,why should anyone outside the profession care?
Why should the government care about and enforce fundamental fairness in contract law, especially as it relates to labor unions? My friend, if you can't answer that one on your own, nothing I could say would be satisfactory.

I can't say what about the player's having too much control or not enough but I can damn sure state Deion continues to have plenty of mouth

I’m curious. For the ones that are debating in favor of what Sanders said. What is your alternative? Is it to do away with the draft and each team recruits players out of college just like colleges recruit players out of high school?

On a global scale of fairness or justice or "rights", it seems reasonable to prioritize the greatest societal unfairness and injustices.
Does anyone really give a rats a** about Shedeur Sanders having to suffer through the "indignity" of playing in a cold climate city for his first contract while being compensated in the top .00001% if the world?

For those taking Deion's side....why? Why do you perceive it to be such an injustice. These guys have already won the genetic lottery.....isn't that enough?
Millions are homeless, starving, being killed through war or terrorism or natural disasters.
Deion and his son should STFU and count their blessings at what they have been given. They could choose to set an example and inspire by making the best out of whichever city they wind up in. No that is not enough...they have to be selfish greedy and squeeze every last concession and "right" out of their situation. "Me first" "Mine Mine Mine"

Why should the government care about and enforce fundamental fairness in contract law, especially as it relates to labor unions? My friend, if you can't answer that one on your own, nothing I could say would be satisfactory.
they are covered under anti trust law,correct?

Why should NFL players have less rights than anyone else. It's a free country, they can work for whoever they choose to. They are under no obligation to work for who the NFL says they must work for. I'm actually shocked that all "drafts" haven't been abolished by a court.

Between the NFL getting in bed with gambling, and the NIL genie out of the bottle, the college players are no longer have to abide by the NFL rules. Especially the elite talents who have already bank a lifetime amount of money.

Deion is absolutely right. Why do you think that Bob Kraft should have more say as to where Deion's kids work than Deion?
Yeah no kidding... I think the billionaire owners should have complete control.

In the end it's supply and demand. You don't have negotiation power if you don't have a commidity

On a global scale of fairness or justice or "rights", it seems reasonable to prioritize the greatest societal unfairness and injustices.
Does anyone really give a rats a** about Shedeur Sanders having to suffer through the "indignity" of playing in a cold climate city for his first contract while being compensated in the top .00001% if the world?

For those taking Deion's side....why? Why do you perceive it to be such an injustice. These guys have already won the genetic lottery.....isn't that enough?
Millions are homeless, starving, being killed through war or terrorism or natural disasters.
Deion and his son should STFU and count their blessings at what they have been given. They could choose to set an example and inspire by making the best out of whichever city they wind up in. No that is not enough...they have to be selfish greedy and squeeze every last concession and "right" out of their situation. "Me first" "Mine Mine Mine"
If covid taught us anything it's that in the end people maximize what they have. You don't think theyd drop Sanders kid once he's damaged goods?

The draft isn't "abolished by a court" because the players' union agrees to it.

Absent a CBA they would be an illegal restraint of trade. Just like the salary cap, restricted free agency, tagging, etc. all would be.

But the union agrees to all of it thus is it all OK.

(We learn this every time the CBA expires and as part of negotiations the union threatens to decertify and a zillion articles get written about all the things that would be illegal if a CBA didn't OK them.)
That's absolutely true. That being said, the whole thing, both the player's union and the owners are both in bed together. It's just a complete and total sham.

Newsflash: This is a football forum. We are going to talk about football issues. We are going to take football issues way too seriously. We are going to spend a disproportionate amount of time, effort and energy discussing football issues which don't influence our lives (or the world at large) in the slightest bit.

We are going to spend months, if not years, passionately discussing ball inflation. Passionately discussing the draft. Passionately discussing benching a player in SB 52. Anyone who has spent 5 seconds on the internet is going to know this coming in.

Either get used to it or get out. To come in here and try to shame us for having misplaced priorities is extreme weaksauce. To try and shame us because we aren't discussing the Uighurs or the homeless or global warming is extreme weaksauce. You want to talk about those things? No problem. Plenty of forums on the internet for that.

In this forum, we discuss football. Passionately.

Last edited:
Newsflash: This is a football forum. We are going to talk about football issues. We are going to take football issues way too seriously. We are going to spend a disproportionate amount of time, effort and energy discussing football issues which don't influence our lives (or the world at large) in the slightest bit.

We are going to spend months, if not years, passionately discussing ball inflation. Passionately discussing the draft. Passionately discussing benching a player in SB 52. Anyone who has spent 5 seconds on the internet is going to know this coming in.

In this forum, we talk football and we do so passionately. Either get used to it or get out. To come in here and try to shame us for having misplaced priorities is extreme weaksauce. To try and shame us because we aren't discussing the Uighurs or the homeless or global warming is extreme weaksauce. You want to talk about those things? No problem. Plenty of forums on the internet for that.

In here, we discuss
OK here is a football opinion for you King of the forum
Deion is a ****

OK here is a football opinion for you King of the forum
Deion is a ****
I agree. He's been one for about 40 years (probably longer but no one had heard of him until college). He was a **** at FSU, he was a **** in the NFL, he was a **** in MLB. He was a **** at Jackson State and he's a **** at Colorado.

But that doesn't mean the NFL draft is a fair process.

They both had pro baseball contracts which forced the teams' hand in terms of relinquishing their rights. Shadeur Sanders has no such contract.
He has tons of family money and a rich dad who doesn’t want him to play for some teams and is willing to support him if he waits a year. That is a lot of leverage.

No one is forcing them to play in the NFL. I always hear that NFL players are always getting screwed by the NFL owners and the owners have to much power. As HSanders mentioned the players vote and then sign their CBA.
No one is forcing an NFL team to draft him.

He isn’t trying to circumvent the CBA. He is utilizing the specific language to his advantage. Sanders is saying that if my son doesn’t get drafted to team he wants to play for, he will sit out for a year and re-enter the draft. That is following the CBA to the letter. It is not circumventing it in any way. Every player has that option. It is just that few players have the financial resources or parental support to go that route.

Why should NFL players have less rights than anyone else. It's a free country, they can work for whoever they choose to. They are under no obligation to work for who the NFL says they must work for. I'm actually shocked that all "drafts" haven't been abolished by a court.

Between the NFL getting in bed with gambling, and the NIL genie out of the bottle, the college players are no longer have to abide by the NFL rules. Especially the elite talents who have already bank a lifetime amount of money.

Deion is absolutely right. Why do you think that Bob Kraft should have more say as to where Deion's kids work than Deion?

I agree with this, but it would also take away my favorite part of the NFL, drafting your future players. I think it would be the just decision to abolish the draft, but I’m pretty much certain that it would end my interest in football.

No one is forcing an NFL team to draft him.

He isn’t trying to circumvent the CBA. He is utilizing the specific language to his advantage. Sanders is saying that if my son doesn’t get drafted to team he wants to play for, he will sit out for a year and re-enter the draft. That is following the CBA to the letter. It is not circumventing it in any way. Every player has that option. It is just that few players have the financial resources or parental support to go that route.
let him sit out a year. wgaf? more players might do it now that they get paid in college.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back