Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

POLL: Who Do you Think will be the Better NFL QB? (And Who Would You Want?)

• Caleb Williams

• Drake Maye

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm not 100% sure, but if we end up tied with the Commanders, the tie-breaker comes down to strength of schedule over head to head matchup. As of this week, their SoS is .515 and ours is .519 which would give them the better pick. However, they have Dallas, San Fran, and the Jete remaining, which I think is stronger than Buffalo, Denver, and aforementioned Jete.
It is SOS. So we need ARI and WAS to win this week or we will likely need to lose it out to keep the n. 2. At 4-13 it is pick n. 4.

It is SOS. So we need ARI and WAS to win this week or we will likely need to lose it out to keep the n. 2. At 4-13 it is pick n. 4.
The way things have been going we are perfectly capable of losing out.
I’m hoping Broncos handle business in Mile High tomorrow nignt.

If we end up 4-13, where I'm guessing they end up, they'll have a top 3 pick. At top three one of these top QB will be available, unless we win all 3, which I doubt, we should be in a great position to grab a good QB.

An overlooked part of Maye's game is he runs a 4.6 40 at 6'4" 230 lbs., had a 698 yard rushing season & had 16 rushing TDs in his two years as a starter. He's the complete package and why some analysts have him above Williams. Here's what Brugler said who has him #1 overall on his board currently:

Cut from the same cloth as Justin Herbert, Maye (2,559 yards passing, 22 total TDs) continues to impress with his on-field command despite inconsistent help around him. A tall, well-put-together athlete, he has an explosive release with the touch to threaten every level of the field.

He still makes a few more reckless decisions than you’d want, but his timing has improved, and his aggressive decision-making is more of a strength than a weakness.

Here's Breer on Maye & his intangibles:

The pats likely won't have a choice between Williams & Maye. I'd argue Maye is safer due to his size & has shown more consistently playing within structure. However, Williams has rare playmaking ability & it's no surprise that he's the heavy favorite to go #1 overall. Both of them are franchise QB prospects & arguably the two best QB prospects since Lawrence.

Not necessarily comparing the two, but when discussing Maye, Steve Grogan’s name comes to mind.

Grogan was a terrific running QB when he started. I recall a long TD run up the middle against the Rats on MNF.

Once he was too beaten up to continue running, he settled into a pretty good pocket passer.

Grogan needed to learn touch on the short passes, as he would blow up the receiver with a 100 MPH fastball.

How is Maye’s touch?

Not necessarily comparing the two, but when discussing Maye, Steve Grogan’s name comes to mind.

Grogan was a terrific running QB when he started. I recall a long TD run up the middle against the Rats on MNF.

Once he was too beaten up to continue running, he settled into a pretty good pocket passer.

Grogan needed to learn touch on the short passes, as he would blow up the receiver with a 100 MPH fastball.

How is Maye’s touch?
It's been reported as good, he's been my number one choice for a while now, I'm assuming Williams is gone when we pick.

It's more likely that we ask for higher picks in future years than tons of pick this year. Definitely in the case of the high first rounder I hope we would ask for a future first.
Yeah most likely, I just wanted to focus the exercise on the thought process of a “quick rebuild” wherein you’re trying to maximize picks in the same year. In reality future 1sts would probably be in the mix.

Just saying they do really need a free safety lol.

Just for fun I played this out - Pats trade down from 2 to 8 with NYG because the Giants want to replace Daniel Jones. Pats get 8 + Giants' two 2nd rounders (40 and 45) + their 3rd rounder (72).

Then Pats trade down from 8 to 25 with KC because KC wants a top WR prospect. Pats get 25 + KC's 2nd (57) + KC's 3rd (89) + KC's 2024 2nd rounder.

In totality this would leave the Pats with these picks:

Top 103 - 9(!!) picks: 25, 34, 40, 45, 57, 66, 72, 89, 103
Outside top 103 - 3 picks: 138, 184, 226
Added 2024 picks: KC's 2nd rounder

If you think this draft is meaty in the 2nd and 3rd as many do then that's a lot of dart throws.
And in best scenario you end up with Dugger, Barmore, Sony, Uche, Wynn… or maybe TT, Perkins, Joejuan, Dawson, Rivers, Winovich, Garcia, Cyrus Jones…

This is our “tank” season, best QB or T, depends where we finish and whois available, I will say Maye, Caleb or Alt

High character guy from what I've read too.
Other teams are going to see that too.

Post season interviews and such will play a big role.

Is it a stretch that Drake could be seen as safer and end up going #1 overall?

If that happens and the Pats are sitting at #2, I would like to see them trade down for extra picks and let some other team take the intriguing prima donna.

I hope he followed his “ nuanced discussion about taking Harrison” with a similarly nuanced discussion on how the Andy Dalton to Harrison connection will make the Patriots great again. Maybe they could even bring in Chase Daniels for 2025.

Other teams are going to see that too.

Post season interviews and such will play a big role.

Is it a stretch that Drake could be seen as safer and end up going #1 overall?

If that happens and the Pats are sitting at #2, I would like to see them trade down for extra picks and let some other team take the intriguing prima donna.

Naaah, Williams is going #1. He is drawing comparisons to Mahomes and the NFL community loves buzzwords like 'off platform throws' etc.

He's got a bloated ego but unfortunately the talent matches the ego. So there's no chance he slides to #2.

You think Ray Lewis ever feels embarrassed for acting like a crazy person? And perhaps killing a couple of guys?

Except for the 5 times he's had a pick in the top half of the draft, right? He just sat there and took his guy. Only failed once: Mac Jones.
You’re right. BB is amazing in the draft

How is Maye’s touch?
In my mind, Grogan's biggest liability was his ball would mysteriously lift on down field throws. It was weird, don't remember seeing anyone else do that.

You’re right. BB is amazing in the draft
Top half of the 1st round.

What don't you like about Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Jerod Mayo, Christian Gonzalez?

Heck, if I extend it to pick 21, there's Chandler Jones and Vince Wilfork.

These weren't bad players. If you can take all these guys and suffer only ONE bust in Mac Jones (and no one criticized that Mac Jones pick when it was made), then you're showing EVIDENCE that you are highly skilled at picking in the top half.

I'd challenge you to find one GM who has done it better at the top half of the 1st round.

RLKAG

Truthfully, I am voting Maye because I think we don't have a chance to draft Williams. They will be upgrades over what we have now I think.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back