PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-game Thread: Jets @ Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB know something we don't? Five(!) long snappers in for tryouts?
Seems like a lot of the long snaps have been way low...? Just a perception, can't say I've really charted it.

Well that's encouraging. Thanks Evan.

Lazar with some hard-hitting analysis there. Now, I’m just waiting for him to tell us that football is a team sport.

Well that's encouraging. Thanks Evan.

Ice Cube Reaction GIF

Lazar with some hard-hitting analysis there. Now, I’m just waiting for him to tell us that football is a team sport.
Since joining the Patriots as a staff writer, he's become a yes-man, losing his independent analysis. He's contantly walking on egg shells to avoid appearing negative.

Since joining the Patriots as a staff writer, he's become a yes-man, losing his independent analysis. He's contantly walking on egg shells to avoid appearing negative.

My wife really doesn’t like football or the fact that i spend so much time following it. And whenever I listen to lazar she is especially irritated by his voice lol

Spend on the best Offensive tackle you can find.
TEs
More defense
Then WR.

Yep; an OT should be our #1 FA priority this offseason, if there's a worthy one available that is;

TE is way down on my list... My #2 priority is another Edge like Judon;

#3 is an all-field LB;

#4 is an Outside CB so Jonathan Jones can return Inside;

And #5 is Another OT.

2019 - #1 defense in the NFL, holds the chiefs to 26 points & the titans to 14 points. While the defense regressed they were still pretty good & they would’ve went deep in the playoffs if the offense didn’t take a nosedive.

2020 - Despite having arguably the worst front seven in the NFL the defense is competitive holding the chiefs to 19 points, shutting down herbert, lamar & murray.

2021 - Switches defensive scheme up midseason to zone due to a lack of talent at CB to play man with jonathan jones out for the season. Defense implodes in playoffs with pass rush out of gas & williams & bryant playing CB.

Present
  • Defense playing at a high level & is on pace for 60 sacks (previous high during BB era is 49). Also switches scheme back to cover 1.
  • Jonathan Jones switches from slot CB to outside CB. Having a career year.
  • Wise having a career year as a full-time player.
  • Entered the season having one of worst CB groups in NFL & now have a top 5 group at the position
Obviously BB helps but the defense has shown the ability to adapt & put players in position to succeed. Steve & Mayo have done a pretty good job here IMO.

I’m bullish on this defense moving forward because they are back to playing man & they have the pass rush to compliment the coverage. It remains to be seen if allen’s athleticism will expose their weakness similar to lamar & fields but it should be better than last season’s debacle.

Let's see how our DBs perform against more efficient QBs that we have to face in 5 of the next 8 games. Hopefully they'll continue their performance.

2022 qb eff.jpg

Bentley has played like a top 10 LBer this year.
I'm not sure I agree with this, but I do think he's the only one in the group who's a clear starting quality player. That's the problem.

Last analysis by him I saw was a comparison of an identical play-action pass against the Colts, this year vs. last year. He pointed out just how pitiful and lackadaisical this year's attempt was. Can't get analysis of a play much more negative than that.

Going forward I think the defenses biggest issue is defending mobile QBs, if they can clean that up this could end up as the best defense Steve Belichick has coached.
It's the "two-fer" aspect - can the LBs that are run defenders (Bentley/Tavai) play the pass or can the pass defending LB/S (McMillan/Peppers/Wilson) defend the run?

Because we don't have the "full package" LBs (fast AND strong); teams that are dual (two-fer) threats (BAL, CHI examples) from the QB position can read which is on the field and play call accordingly.

It's what the Patriots USED to do on offense - expose the weakness in the other team's personnel groups.

I THINK the add of Wilson and Peppers were specifically for Buffalo which isn't as much of a traditional running threat as BAL/CHI - plan for the front four to hold against the RB and spy Allen with a McMillan/Wilson/Duggar that can keep up with him speed wise.

Whether that can hold true in execution remains an unknown as the BAL/CHI games didn't show that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back