PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rap: Mayo is the new HC

I think the story behind the story is that belichick was already planning to retire within a couple of years. Mayo was the succession plan. They took a look, said we have to draft and play a rookie qb and accept a few years of struggle so let’s move up the timetable. Makes sense with the “mutual” part. Belichick wouldn’t be here long enough to develop the qb, and doesn’t have enough time left to revamp a team he won’t be here for when the qb is ready. Give Mayo his shot, and then after 2-3 losing seasons bring in the next guy who isn’t carrying the weight of replacing the GOAT.
If they are smart about using these 3 years with the intention of being good in year 4 or 5 it might work. If they don’t accept reality it could drag on a long time.
This makes a lot of sense.

The only sour taste in my mouth is the same as I had when Brady left. Probably PTSD from Bobby Orr going to Chicago.

I wanted Brady and BB to retire here.

Now I want Mayo to be great. BB always said he was a brilliant football mind.

Actually they’re pretty similar. Mike was a linebacker on the 1985 bears defense. Jerod was a linebacker on our Super Bowl teams. Singletary got fired after 2 years and coached high school and proceeded to win only 1 game in 2 years

Not at all similar. Singletary was out of football completely for over a decade before he decided to become a coach.

Demeco Ryans is a much more apt comparison. Former Defensive Rookie of the Year LBs that played for the team that hired them as HC and had 5 years of coaching before becoming HC

I understand the lamentations about not doing a full coaching search (which Kraft said he was going to do, but obviously did not do), but if you feel extremely sure that you have "the guy" already here then what is the point? No other outside coach would be able to maintain things in-house the way Mayo would be able to. The closest would be Vrabel, but even he would need to change a lot of things.

Don't get me wrong - I was a pro-Vrabel guy, Mayo is not my first choice - but only because I just don't know what to expect here. That could be bad but could be good. Obviously, Kraft was very right with his last coaching hire, and the guy he hired before that one went on to be very good elsewhere too. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

Tentatively excited for the Mayo era. Very curious what happens at GM. If they can get that sorted in a week then they are ahead of the curve for the offseason. Maybe it is Wolf, like Curran has been pumping. Not sure how that changes things. Wolf has been involved previously but seemed to have to defer to Belichick and probably also Groh. Becoming the guy in charge - how would that change the picks and the strategy/aggression as far as draft day moves?

As I stated earlier, Mayo deserves the chance to prove himself worthy. Like you I wanted Vrabel and am skeptical about this hire yet am hoping for the best. I suspect we need to anticipate additional carryover from the BB regime including front office. We can only hope there is real wisdom behind this on Kraft's part.

One thing for certain: this team is going to look a helluva lot different next season.

On 9/22/2001, Mo Lewis ended Drew Bledsoe's day and a little known QB jogged to the huddle. From our seats in section 115 (i think), I turned to my Dad and said "Well, let's see how this guy does." I am going to take the same approach with Mayo. I am not going to ***** how I hate the move, nor celebrate the second coming of ************. Time will tell.
Section 12, south endzone that day.

a rookie QB with a rookie HC, what can go wrong?

If a certain point of next season we are 3-10 again there's a risk of breaking another QB mentally
Idk but I saw how badly things went with a young QB and Belichick. Mayo might have a very good temperament to work with a rookie like Jayden Daniels or Maye.

Mayo isn’t going to be the QB whisperer but he can be a good leader for whichever guy it is. It’s not like Vrabel is any QB whisperer himself.

Last edited:
I honestly think that Vrabel is closer to Bill in style than Mayo is.

All the player have said this year that Mayo is a player’s coach. I think his personality is totally different from Bill. From what I heard and read Mayo was basically running the defense the last couple of years. I think having continuity in the coaching on that side of the ball is really important.

I am totally fine with him being the HC.
This... we are great on defensive side and mayo helps build continuity. This is possibly the best option considering we need to strip down the offense thread bare.

Who knows last years issues could have been Bill to a smaller extent. Issues might have festered to a level where Kraft felt uts best to let Bill go.

Klemm issues with offensive line
Bill looking to keep Patricia
Bill not allowing Obrien to add his staff

I feel Kraft realizes this is a multi year rebuild or a quick rebuild on just one side of the ball. They are punting on latter.

Coaches are getting younger. You are able to create some magic with upcoming offensive coordinators - lions and texans come to picture.

So the key hire might be the OC. I feel they might get Scott pioli back to front office and if Josh is available get him back as OC to develop a young QB.

2023 blame recipients would be Bill and Mac with cam achord to a smaller extent.

I don't think they can continue with Bob because that side of ball is putrid.

As far as GM, Pioli or someone from 49ers or eagles front office.

Kraft's motives are simple. This is a results based business and the results stopped. Mostly becuase the offense absolutely ate ass, becuase the offense didn't have the talent, and Bill kept doing sketching things with his offensive staff once McDaniels left for reasons that I've honestly never heard a good explanation for.

If it's an internal GM candidate, it's somebody who butted heads with Bill behind the scenes and is going to get a chance to get his way. He might crap the bed, but it will be different than how Bill was crapping the bed in draft/FA the last 5 years. Otherwise Kraft wouldn't risk all this PR fallout just to ultimately do the same stuff.

He's not infallible by any stretch but IMO that just doesn't make basic sense.

Bill the coach getting fired was a consequence of Bill the GM being responsible for the roster rot, to the point where Bill the coach couldn't make it work anymore. I guess you'd say the hope is better GM + lesser (but hopefully still OK to good) coach = better results.

If I recall, Mayo has stressed in the past that he is his own man and has no intention of copying anyone else's (read BB) style. I think it was sometime during the most recent offseason when the first rumors of succession started coming about.

shopping

The current players will love this move, and I’m sure that they will play hard for him but it wasn’t long ago that Mayo was entrenched in the business world. Not sure that someone who has only been an assistant coach above high school level since 2019 is ready to be an NFL head coach in 2024 but I hope that he proves me wrong. He may be smart enough to pull it off. My guess is that Kraft expected him to be mentored for at least another year, or two, by Bill, so that Belichick could teach him as much as he could about being a head coach, both on and off the field but the timeline was sped up with their terrible season.

My other concern is that Mayo has not traveled the coaching circuit through several organizations, like most NFL head coaches have, while paying their dues in college and the NFL over a decade or more. He, therefore, doesn't have the relationships with coaches on other teams that often prove to be critical when putting together a top-notch staff. I don't know if any ex-teammates are coaching in the NFL but otherwise he may have to fill out his staff with current coaches (if Steve leaves, covington is the obvious choice for DC) and ex-Patriots coaches.

Would have preferred Vrabel due to his track record as an NFL coach and his ability to hit the ground running but I’ll give Mayo the benefit of the doubt that he will be up to the task and I am definitely curious to see how he and the new GM will do things differently this offseason.

Kraft is taking a big risk by foregoing the traditional head coaching search and by choosing such an inexperienced guy to be the new face of his franchise, so maybe he will decide to open up his pocketbook a little bit wider, and be willing to spend the cash (not the same as cap space) that will be needed to get back to contention. Being down at the bottom of the league in cash expenditures for contracts will not cut it anymore.

not sure i love the move. I didn't love BB being hired either so I will wait to make a final decision.

When is Wolf as GM going to fall into place? I'm more concerned about personnel on offense right now.

Congrats to Jerod. May be a good hire but clearly Kraft had DEI as a primary requirement. That has not turned out well for some businesses in the past.
What? That makes no sense, this is typical Kraft, when he hired BB it was because he loved him as a coach and players told him he was a genius. He's been around Mayo for a decade, he loves Mayo as a coach. He already planned for Mayo to take over after next season.
Mayo was hired because that was the plan all along, like most good businesses you have a succession plan and if it is well thought out you stick with it.

I have no clue if Elliot would be bad, though.

How much of the “bad” decisions in recent drafts were more Bill’s call? Would Elliot running the show be the exact same results?

He’s not from Bill’s tree, so I don’t think hiring him would mean “business as usual”.

You have no way of actually knowing this.
You have no way of denying it. It makes zero sense otherwise to hire such an inexperienced, zero accomplishment coach whose sole knowledge and experience comes from the very guy you just fired. Defense would supposedly be Mayo's strength and that wasn't even a problem with Belichick.

Last edited:
He’d be a coach I want to play for. I’d run through a wall for him,” edge rusher Josh Uche said. “I love players’ coaches. Guys that take it deeper than the X’s and O’s. It’s more personal. You want to go out and do a good job because you know you have someone behind you who’s backing and supporting you. ****, I’m all in on Mayo.”

“Man, he’d be a really great head coach,” defensive tackle Christian Barmore added. “He’d be a funny guy. He understands players. He teaches players. He’s everything a player would want.”

I doubt Uche is running through any walls for Bill.

Players who played with Mayo said he was the smartest player they ever played with.

Last edited:

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back