PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Outburst was with O'Brien, not Belichick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moss had both hands on that ball, it should have been caught. I think Moss wasn't really playing with his full attention on what was happening on the field. Remember this was one of the last plays of the half, right before him and Bill OB reportedly got in a verbal dispute in the locker room.

I don't agree. Moss made an acrobatic attempt and barely got his fingers on it. Maybe you are right and he wasn't completely focused. That could have been the "nail in the coffin" as they say. But the throw by Brady wasn't exactly a good one, either.

Well, a few things...

While O'Brien calls the plays, Brady is the one who does the progressions and makes the decision whether to throw Randy's way.

Randy was doubled the entire game. Vontae Davis is a damn good CB and Sean Smith is no slouch on the other side. I didn't see Randy open much at all.. Plus, there were plenty of mis-matches with Hernandez, Welker, Gronkowski, and Woodhead.

There has always been at least one game a year where Randy wasn't going to be "THE MAN" from the receiver position.

Sean Smith SUCKS. And pretty badly at that. He was effectively benched for Jason Allen.

Perhaps Moss got into a shouting match with O'Brien at halftime and then got into another shouting match with Belichick yesterday (possibly because of the incident at halftime). According to Florio, Moss and Belichick have had problems all season.

I don't usually put a lot of stock into anything Florio has to say, but I have to think that he's correct on this one. Something bad had to have been happening between the two sides behind the scenes. The third round compensation just reeks of desperation from our side. Otherwise, I can't see why Belichick would once again make such a bad trade with nobody behind the guy he traded to replace his production.

I don't agree. Moss made an acrobatic attempt and barely got his fingers on it. Maybe you are right and he wasn't completely focused. That could have been the "nail in the coffin" as they say. But the throw by Brady wasn't exactly a good one, either.

I will agree with you also, the throw was not Brady's best, but I think it should have been caught. We'll agree to disagree.

That pass is actually a great example of what the Patriots will be missing moving forward. There are, maybe, a handful of players who had any real shot at that ball, yet we're legitimately questioning whether or not Moss should have made that catch and whether Moss wasn't 100% focused on it.

I don't usually put a lot of stock into anything Florio has to say, but I have to think that he's correct on this one. Something bad had to have been happening between the two sides behind the scenes. The third round compensation just reeks of desperation from our side. Otherwise, I can't see why Belichick would once again make such a bad trade with nobody behind the guy he traded to replace his production.

This post hits the nail on the head. There was obviously something going on internally with the Pats and with all of the reports coming out of the verbal exchange between Moss and O'Brien at halftime, then tense flight back with Moss and the team, and then the meeting between Moss and BB after week 1, clearly something was going on. You dont just send one of the top 5 WRs of the game away for only a 3rd round pick without a legitimate reason.

O'Brien is a doofus. Moss is the only player on the team with any guts to call him out for what he is.

Watch and see how Childress uses Moss from here on out.

Well I certainly don't have much respect for OBrien.:..and it seemed like he was struggling to get moss involved more in O....or doing more to get him free more....but hell...moss is always drawing double coverage.sometimes hard to chg that...

Why does everyone cry for Brady to spread the ball around, then when he starts to do it consistently, as well as running the ball 28 times a game, everyone says the OC is crap, blah blah blah?

I don't think, and refuse to say that Tate is, or will be, as good as Moss... but give him a chance, he hasn't had one yet. Tate is fast and can spread the field, maybe we'll catch some defenses off guard until he's properly accounted for. None of us know what will happen, and none of us can make any guaruntees about ANYTHING.

The season ending isn't already written in some book right now, it's WEEK 4. Relax. Jesus.

Personally, I'm excited about the possibility of seeing Welker, Edelman, and Woodhead on the field at the same time, if/when it happens, white midget circus running around out there.

Last edited:
Randy was apparently in psychotic meltdown mode on Monday per Steve Burton who was on the field as the All Access /postgame host. We've heard the story about the national anthem - he turned his back on the anthem and attempted to lead a rally asking players to go to war...players were uncomfortable and apparently the team was called on the carpet for this by the league. Before the opening kickoff while Scott O'Brien was trying to coach his ST unit up Randy intruded on that as well and began extolling the "nwords" to perform. Burton says that was caught on tape and audio...Troy Brown has said there were outbursts on the team plane on the way back between Moss and his teamates... Steve also gave more details on the kickoff dinner where Randy was seated at the Ratheon table. The top players are assigned to the top sponsors. As the dinner began Randy got up, left the table, went to the back of the room with his back to the diners and began listening to his headphones. The sponsors were confused and upset and the team made efforts to get him back to the table to no avail. Then of course there was the week 1 presser from hell...

This situation was obviously spiraling further out of control weekly.

While O'Brien is a doofus, claiming that Moss is the only player with "guts" on the team is pretty stupid.
Yeah, probably not a wise statement on my part.

People also need to remember that the game plan is set by BB, Brady, and others. Not just O'Brien. And it's executed by Brady and the offense. Brady is the common denominator here. As I said earlier, Brady makes his pre-snap reads and goes through his progressions.. If he sees that Moss is going to be doubled, I'm sure that, mentally, he moves Moss down in his list of progressions. Randy has been around long enough to know that.
Initial gameplanning on offense has been fine. That's because, as you say, BB is involved in setting it. The problems occur after the game starts and adjustments to initial gameplans start taking pace. This is when O'Brien's clueless and woefully out of his league against the better defensive minds. It used to be we'd win these battles all of the time. We haven't won these with regularity since Josh left.

I do wish that BB had more time to spend with O'Brien but he's too busy being HC and DC to do so.

As for how Childress uses Moss from here on out, who cares. The Vikings are not the Patriots. The teams have no similarities in their games and the strengths of the offenses are different. No to mention that Brett Favre has thrown more Ints than TDs..
My point is to wait and see how a real coordinator uses Moss' talents.

What makes you think Minnesota's OC is any better than ours?

Because Minny's OC is Brett Farver, only the greatest bestest gunslingingest pigskin tosser in heestory, boy....now go back in the kitchen and make me some bacon and eggs...aaaaGGGGGHHHHHH!

My point is to wait and see how a real coordinator uses Moss' talents.

A "real" coordinator?? Come off it. Childress makes O'Brien look like Einstein. Favre runs that offense unless he's not on the field. Favre is the only one besides Manning who doesn't listen to what is called into the huddle. He takes it as a suggestion and believes that he knows more than the Coordinator does. Well, he does in Minnesota, but not by much.

I've seen what a "real" coordinator get's out of Randy. His name was McDaniels. I've not been impressed with O'Brien and I still don't believe he's earned Brady's respect. And I'll be honest, I think that O'Brien is gone after this season unless O'Brien does earn it.

A "real" coordinator?? Come off it. Childress makes O'Brien look like Einstein. Favre runs that offense unless he's not on the field. Favre is the only one besides Manning who doesn't listen to what is called into the huddle. He takes it as a suggestion and believes that he knows more than the Coordinator does. Well, he does in Minnesota, but not by much.

I've seen what a "real" coordinator get's out of Randy. His name was McDaniels. I've not been impressed with O'Brien and I still don't believe he's earned Brady's respect. And I'll be honest, I think that O'Brien is gone after this season unless O'Brien does earn it.

Childress is not the offensive coordinator of the Vikings.

Randy was apparently in psychotic meltdown mode on Monday per Steve Burton who was on the field as the All Access /postgame host. We've heard the story about the national anthem - he turned his back on the anthem and attempted to lead a rally asking players to go to war...players were uncomfortable and apparently the team was called on the carpet for this by the league. Before the opening kickoff while Scott O'Brien was trying to coach his ST unit up Randy intruded on that as well and began extolling the "nwords" to perform. Burton says that was caught on tape and audio...Troy Brown has said there were outbursts on the team plane on the way back between Moss and his teamates... Steve also gave more details on the kickoff dinner where Randy was seated at the Ratheon table. The top players are assigned to the top sponsors. As the dinner began Randy got up, left the table, went to the back of the room with his back to the diners and began listening to his headphones. The sponsors were confused and upset and the team made efforts to get him back to the table to no avail. Then of course there was the week 1 presser from hell...

This situation was obviously spiraling further out of control weekly.

Mo - Do you have links to Burton's and Brown's comments???

If these are true, then it's pretty clear why Randy was traded. These are things that even the best PR people wouldn't be able to handle. And it explains why Randy wasn't voted as a team captain.

If these are true, then it's pretty clear why Randy was traded. These are things that even the best PR people wouldn't be able to handle. And it explains why Randy wasn't voted as a team captain.

But....but....the genuises here say he's our only hope for a Superbowl. We should have given him all the money he wanted! He's RANDY MOSS and was AWESOME in 2007.

We are nothing without him. NOTHING!

Brown was on D&H today on EEI and said all this. I didnt hear Burton say this, but I would assume it was on the 5th quarter after the game?, or on Ch. 4 sports

Assuming its true i think the FO was concerned Moss would be doing this every week, plus shutting it down on game day.

Last edited:
Brown was on D&H today on EEI and said all this. I didnt hear Burton say this, but I would assume it was on the 5th quarter after the game?, or on Ch. 4 sports

Burton just went into a lot of this on WEEI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe