PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Mac was reaching out to other coaches about his frustrations with the offense

Who has Lamar ever had? Not much at WR. Andrews is a very good TE but he's no Kelce.

Lamar is an outlier. Not many QBs can run like a running back. Kinda changes the way teams defend you Look at jaylen Hurts and Tua this year. Both were average to poor last year. Now they both look like franchise QBs. Heck Josh Allen took the jump when they got diggs.

In large part because their teams invested in elite receivers (and upgraded coaching)

• Winner
Reactions: Ian
Who has Lamar ever had? Not much at WR. Andrews is a very good TE but he's no Kelce.
LOL, that's your comp in this argument? The guy who averages 100-yards rushing per game?

Both players, even at that time, are lightyears better than Mac or Zappe.
People have already predetermined this after seeing Zappe play in a total of 4 games.

Jones is nothing but a backup NFL QB after 2 seasons of data.

LOL, that's your comp in this argument? The guy who averages 100-yards rushing per game?
Why do people think running quarterbacks don't count in QB discussions? He led the NFL in TD passes. He's top 10 all-time in TD%. He's more than just a running back. He's a phenomenal football player who plays quarterback.

If the Patriots move on from Mac and pick up a good vet like JG or somehow get near the top of the draft and pick one of the big 3 Levis/Young/Stroud it will be interesting to see who still thinks the Patriots are keeping a star on the bench by not starting Zappe. My guess is almost nobody.

Stidham looked surprisingly competent against two very difficult opponents. Good movement in the pocket. Arm strength was better than I remembered. Looks like Josh has done some good work with Stidham.

If my choices are 1) trade my 7th overall pick for Mac or 2) keep the pick and start Stidham then I'm going with the second option for sure.
Stidham always had a very strong arm. Everything else about his game needed a lot of work.

Mac needs to improve on his own weaknesses, before complaining to anyone.
Get PRO help offseason. Tom House.

It's still hilarious to me that fans think A QB going into year 3 has reached full development. Tua and jaylen Hurts would be out the door since both were mediocre their second years...

And also even more hilarious that they believe zappe is a star in the waiting after 1 good game against a poor defense. (Sorry, lions game/Packers were mediocre and bears was horrible) imagine if he put up Brock purdy numbers.

It's like half the board has never watched an NFL game.

Not saying zappe won't become a star or Mac improves. But holding onto these opinions so strongly is just bizarre. I've seen plenty of average QBs put up numbers better than zappes for longer stretches. And I've seen QBs make a jump suddenly with better talent/coaching. Maybe it will happen maybe they won't.

But dieing on the hill of zappe good, Mac bad must go is a strange hill to die on at this point.

I think it's clear that Jarrett Stidham proved that he deserves a 10 year, $500m in his game against the Chiefs!

- Basically the same thing as the Zappe fever stuff, albeit taken to a position of hyperbole

When people who like Zappe are strawmanned as believing the team is keeping a "star" on the bench, we can't really have a proper discussion.

I don't think anyone - save for a few ridiculous people - have suggested Zappe is our lord and savior and a guaranteed future star. Several upon several have said they admired his poise, pocket presence, decision making, the timing and rhythm with which he operated the offense, and would like to see him get the opportunity to play more.

The lack of nuance in these discussions is really a shame. There's a legitimately interesting conversation to be had here but it's dominated by one-liners, potshots, and tribalism.

Not saying zappe won't become a star or Mac improves. But holding onto these opinions so strongly is just bizarre. I've seen plenty of average QBs put up numbers better than zappes for longer stretches. And I've seen QBs make a jump suddenly with better talent/coaching. Maybe it will happen maybe they won't.

But dieing on the hill of zappe good, Mac bad must go is a strange hill to die on at this point.
Just feels like it's all about the shiny new object more than anything else. I don't like Mac therefore anyone else is good.

BB didn't help either kid by being vague after the Bears game about who the starter was going forward. Maybe we just started a new era of Patriots football and the team isn't so secretive anymore so that won't happen anymore.

When people who like Zappe are strawmanned as believing the team is keeping a "star" on the bench, we can't really have a proper discussion.
Feels like that's what I'm reading.
I don't think anyone - save for a few ridiculous people - have suggested Zappe is our lord and savior and a guaranteed future star. Several upon several have said they admired his poise, pocket presence, decision making, the timing and rhythm with which he operated the offense, and would like to see him get the opportunity to play more.
That's a reasonable take. Not the takes I've seen that sound like they're hoping our starting QB fails. If our starting QB fails then so does our team.

True but the discussions were intense like this.
They were, but I don't remember people rooting for Brady to stink and then being bummed out if he had a decent game. And most of that died down the longer the year went on, albeit it flared up again during the AFC Championship game. Just a strange year.

Why do people think running quarterbacks don't count in QB discussions? He led the NFL in TD passes. He's top 10 all-time in TD%. He's more than just a running back. He's a phenomenal football player who plays quarterback.
Great. Wasn't talking about that. I said most of the top young QBs right now have at least one playmaker on offense. Lamar is a bad comp, completely different player. He's like two players in one, doesn't fit this particular discussion. He's a unicorn.

If the Patriots move on from Mac and pick up a good vet like JG or somehow get near the top of the draft and pick one of the big 3 Levis/Young/Stroud it will be interesting to see who still thinks the Patriots are keeping a star on the bench by not starting Zappe. My guess is almost nobody.
Hey...hey! this elephant is still in the room. :)

I was very young when it was happening, but I keep hoping that Mac doesn’t turn into Jim Plunkett. But I could see it. Talented high draft pick that the Pats’ coaches and OL ruin, has to leave town, and eventually goes on to success elsewhere with a better surrounding cast.

I don’t want Mac to fail…I just don’t want to be tricked into thinking he’s likely to succeed long-term. Wishful thinking and cherry picking is what most fans do when hoping their precious first rounder isn’t what everyone outside the org realizes he is. His upside is Ryan Tannehill, an obvious starting QB significantly better than the backup and can game manage to wins (with a lot of help) against crap teams but is still a huge liability against great ones.

Great. Wasn't talking about that. I said most of the top young QBs right now have at least one playmaker on offense. Lamar is a bad comp, completely different player. He's like two players in one, doesn't fit this particular discussion. He's a unicorn.
He's surrounded by less playmaking ability than most other top young QBs. It's no wonder he's two players in one, he has to be, and Baltimore has been very fortunate that he's uber-talented.

Mac has flashed, and actually has some decent offensive threats that the coaches and OL kept away from him due to awful coaching and bad play. He deserves a shot in year three when put in a good position to succeed.

Patricia is SO bad. Other than rapists and murderers, he may be my least favorite Patriot ever.

He's surrounded by less playmaking ability than most other top young QBs. It's no wonder he's two players in one, he has to be, and Baltimore has been very fortunate that he's uber-talented.
More Lyft-talented IMO.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back