PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan assembling championship-caliber Jets defense; New England's revamped offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ryan assembling championship-caliber Jets defense;New England's revamped offense

Wow- after reading that, I think we should resign Watson to a new extended contract- pronto. But even with our supernova TE, Rex Ryan is going to show the Pats something they've NEVER seen. A defense so amazing, soooooo *violent*- that BB will be completely baffled.

Bring it, Rex :rolleyes: :D

Re: Ryan assembling championship-caliber Jets defense;New England's revamped offense

The Jets defense is better. The Patriots defense has no pass rush. I hope the patriots have a great draft.

The Jets defense was arguably better than ours LAST year. Where'd that get them? When Favre performed well they looked good, when he didn't... well we all saw the Miami game. Unless they come up with a way to get consistently good play from the QB position, I don't know how any legitimate expert can seriously annoint them as title contenders.

It's like clockwork.

Every year the same euphoric expectations...immediately followed by the inevitable crash and burn.

It never gets old though :)

"What is good in life? To see the Jets driven before you, and read da lamentations on da bulletin boards."

The second page of the article is even more insightful than the first ...

... if by "insightful" you mean "****amamie".

Last edited:

You mean the AFC Off Season Champs.

THey have to play the Redskins for the World Off-Season Championship, and the Redskins are tough every March.
LOL. The Offseason King, Queen, and Joker (Raiders).

Seeing this goofy post I went off to the Jests boards to see what they thought.

As always they are the Champs of Off Season. One gentleman was describing their awesome offense and actually saying he thought it was either the first or second best in the AFCE. Of course the Defense was deemed superior to the Baltimore Ravens Defense.

Another thought their wonderful 2 yards and a cloud of dust Offense would dominate the league just like Lombardi's Packers used to do, with Paul Hornung. After all, Herr Jones was the number one rusher in the AFC last year. Never mentioned was they had no one else and Over-the-hill Jones was forced to do it, way too much.

But that was when they had the pretence of a QB and WRs to keep some teams honest. Now they have bust Kellon Clemons and summer camp wonder UDFA Brett Ratliff as their All-Pro chuckers.

Some seem to want to draft the KState QB drafted with their #17 and then he will immediately become an All-Pro as a rookie.

It just never changes...:D

Pack it in boys, we might as well just crown them now. ;)

I love the offseason for the fluff pieces and the chance that every single offseason, 31 team barring the Detroit Lions have a chance at Superbowl glory.

It's the same with Australian Football. Nice feeling articles written about how team x has made major improvements over the summer and will be a dominant force in the coming season.

The good teams know they are good and tweak. The others have to improve their games that much to simply get on a level playing field.

Ah sports writers.. gotta love em.

The Jets defense is better. The Patriots defense has no pass rush. I hope the patriots have a great draft.

Good thing the defenses don't have to play against each other.

Which one is Ngata??????????????????

I agree the Jets may possibly have a better defense than us, but super bowl my ass. They have no answer on offense, their HC is unproven. NY really has been Redskins north, it's hillarious watching this every offseason at this point.

I wouldn't consider Gholston a bust yet either. If Mayo didn't contribute that much last year, would he be a bust? You people sound ridiculous saying he's terrible after a single season. Gholston has way to much ability IMO to write him off after 1 year. If he doesn't contribute by next year, that's the 3 year window and he just would be considered a bust than.

There is a difference between not contributing that much and not contributing at all. Gholston falls in the later category. He was at best a mediocre special teams player last year.

As for the Mayo comparisons, people were ripping Meriweather after his rookie year (many even called him a bust) and contributed more than Gholston did his rookie season and was drafted over a dozen spots behind where Gholston was drafted in his draft.

I still laugh when people use the Terrell Suggs comparison with Gholston and how Ryan was able to turn Suggs around after a horrible minicamp to make Suggs DROY and that he might be able to perform the same "magic" with Gholston after a horrible rookie campaign. I know it is harder to turn around your career after a horrible rookie minicamp than a horrible ENTIRE ROOKIE SEASON, but something tells me that Gholston will never get to the same level as Suggs.

Personally, after studying the guy after the combine, I knew he was going to be at least a disapointment if not an outright bust. The guy was too inconsistent in college. He overrelyed on bullrushing the OT and out powering them. That can be effective against a 280lb college OT, but not so much against a 320lb NFL OT. There were also questions about his dedication to the game. He seems to be brawn over brains and desire. I think Ryan faces an uphill battle to make Gholston a valued contributor. I seriously doubt he will ever be a Pro Bowler. I could be wrong, but he has Mike Mamula written all over him and it is looking like that might be an insult..... to Mamula.

Last edited:

There is a difference between not contributing that much and not contributing at all. Gholston falls in the later category. He was at best a mediocre special teams player last year.

As for the Mayo comparisons, people were ripping Meriweather after his rookie year (many even called him a bust) and contributed more than Gholston did his rookie season and was drafted over a dozen spots behind where Gholston was drafted in his draft.

I still laugh when people use the Terrell Suggs comparison with Gholston and how Ryan was able to turn Suggs around after a horrible minicamp to make Suggs DROY and that he might be able to perform the same "magic" with Gholston after a horrible rookie campaign. I know it is harder to turn around your career after a horrible rookie minicamp than a horrible ENTIRE ROOKIE SEASON, but something tells me that Gholston will never get to the same level as Suggs.

Gholston needs to have his hand on the ground, Ryan will be smart enough to know this and use him properly.

Gholston needs to have his hand on the ground, Ryan will be smart enough to know this and use him properly.

Gholston is too small to be a 3-4 DE. He is 6-3, 264lbs. He is probably 30lbs too light to be a 3-4 DE. I don't see Gholston excelling as a 3-4 DE. He really needs to be a 4-3 DE and I doubt that the Jets are going to change to the 4-3 just to accomodate Gholston.

Besides, Ryan has said he is going to try to turn him into another Terrell Suggs which means that he will be primarily an OLB because that is what Suggs is primarily.

Last edited:

I think that other posters have said it all: another great Jets offseason; a Defense of "stars" who have never played together; increasingly delusional fans; a New Coach who will lead them to the Promised Land, despite not bringing a whiff of a championship in four seasons as DC (he was DL coach during the 2000 SB year); a great Offense that is, well, just missing one small thing, a Quarterback! Yep, that's pretty much according to the J-E-T-S playbook.

Gholston is too small to be a 3-4 DE. He is 6-3, 264lbs. He is probably 30lbs too light to be a 3-4 DE. I don't see Gholston excelling as a 3-4 DE. He really needs to be a 4-3 DE and I doubt that the Jets are going to change to the 4-3 just to accomodate Gholston.

Besides, Ryan has said he is going to try to turn him into another Terrell Suggs which means that he will be primarily an OLB because that is what Suggs is primarily.

Not hand on the ground 3/4 end, 4/3 end player of the ilk of say freeney or mathis. He is not a stand up guy he can't make the transition to 3/4 OLB, Ryan knows this though he'll get him on the field.

B Ots a

I think that other posters have said it all: another great Jets offseason; a Defense of "stars" who have never played together; increasingly delusional fans; a New Coach who will lead them to the Promised Land, despite not bringing a whiff of a championship in four seasons as DC (he was DL coach during the 2000 SB year); a great Offense that is, well, just missing one small thing, a Quarterback! Yep, that's pretty much according to the J-E-T-S playbook.

I fear it's more than a QB. Its a QB, some WRS and RBs, and depth on Offense.

Better to say an entire missing O-F-F-E-N-S-E. :D

Jets fans seem to think every season is their year going into it.

Not hand on the ground 3/4 end, 4/3 end player of the ilk of say freeney or mathis. He is not a stand up guy he can't make the transition to 3/4 OLB, Ryan knows this though he'll get him on the field.

The Jets have built a 3-4 team. Word was they went with Ryan over Spagnolia because Ryan would keep the teamin the 3-4. If Ryan knows that Gholston is only good as a 4-3 DE and he intends to use him correctly, that means he intends to trade him to a team that will run the 4-3. You don't plan your defense around a second year player who was non-existent in his rookie season.

If Ryan is convinced Gholston cannot be a 3-4 OLB, Gholston career with the Jets is over because that is the ONLY PLACE he can fit into the Jets defense.

I do agree he probably will never make the transistion to OLB in the 3-4. Hence why I think he will be a bust. He is too expensive to cut. The Jets would be foolish to switch to the 4-3 especially after paying so much to get Calvin pace and Bart Scott to cater to a guy with 13 career tackles and no sacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents