PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi OT: Hurricane Florence and Patriots traveling to Jacksonville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the heat is going to be brutal for this game. I'm seeing 92 with a heat index of 100. Whatever that means.

It's a whole lot better than those zero degree games back on the metal bleachers in Sullivan stadium, where you needed a blanket to keep the bleachers from freezing your butt, another for the rest of you, while you hug your 30 oz. mug of very hot cocoa!

It should drop lower than 92 by 4:30 PM though, and be breezy. Don't want super high winds though. I will hug my ice-cold beer.

:eek::confused:

Yeah, I think I'd get off that island.
Those people are idiots and they piss me off. Because rescuers will already have their hands full and those clowns will have to be rescued or die.
So now they will needlessly put the rescuers lives at risk, plus maybe someone else who DIDNT act like a knucklehead won't get rescued.
I'm with Kontra on this,f 'em. Let em die.

It's a whole lot better than those zero degree games back on the metal bleachers in Sullivan stadium, where you needed a blanket to keep the bleachers from freezing your butt, another for the rest of you, while you hug your 30 oz. mug of very hot cocoa!

It should drop lower than 92 by 4:30 PM though, and be breezy. Don't want super high winds though. I will hug my ice-cold beer.
Any shade in that stadium late day? Something tells me the visitors bench is in the sun while Jags get shade.

Any shade in that stadium late day? Something tells me the visitors bench is in the sun while Jags get shade.
yes, visitors are on the East side, looking into the late afternoon sun.

I'm sitting opposite, sun at my back. Never been there but from pics I've seen, there doesn't appear to be much shade or shelter from rain

I'm in Wilmington and we got bad news today. The storm is now tracking to be a hair south of us. That puts us in the worst spot you can be in a big hurricane- the NE quadrant- where the most powerful winds are and the worst damage happens. It's a deadly cat4 now, projecting to be a very high cat3-low cat 4. That's brutal. Hope it moves more northerly again, but it's not looking like it.

Wow...best of luck. Make sure to check in here when you can.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
I've seen some projections of it being anywhere from a 2-3 in that time. If that's the case, those people should be fine for the most part. Load up on beer and snacks and charge your mobile devices as best as possible and HUNKER DOWN.

Brother Kontra, good advice. Let me add to it from my Irma experience phone battery banks! Have two and fully charged. The cell phone is the last possibility for access to the outside world. I needed to start using my second and my power was out for only 24 hours (we neighbors were in a text fest but they all dropped off for a lack of a 20$ battery bank). I also have a battery operated weather radio/radio that will charge (charge the banks, keep a lot of batteries, take advantage of the solar cells on it).
Another good move, take freezer bags and fill a whole bunch up with drinking water and stick them in the freezer well before storm hits. When the power goes off you have a way to keep the freezer cold yet as the ice melts within the bag, you have super cold drinking water ready (VERY needed is ice cold drinking water considering the blazing humid temps and no AC).
Have a battery operated small fan and a good stock of batteries (Walmart or Amazon you can get a 24 or 36 pack). I couldn't have slept without that fan, just too hot otherwise.

Have the gas grill tank full, your gas tank full, and a grill capable of burning wood if need be (get sone dry wood and store it. You can cook almost anything on the grill. Have cans of soup ready and crackers. Easily and quick;y cooked on the grill, filling, gives some nutrition (plus cook up the meat that is defrosted!). Pasta and jar spaghetti sauce, all can be cooked on the grill.

Keep a waterprrof sports bag ready packed with a set of clothes and the must haves (prescriptions). Be preapred for instant evac from your home if roof damage and/or massive water leak (which I got). Be! Ready! to evac your house quickly (have a plan with your neighbors).

Those LED lantern lights that you pull upward and it gives more light? Cheap, tough, waterproof, same batteries have run it for over a year now. IMHO excellent light source for cheap money.

Have non electrical ways to occupy your time. A book, crossword puzzles,

Figured I'd pass on my own experience for those who might be new to the hurricane thing. And to those people, fyi, when Irma hit here is was only cat 1+ and I'm on a grid portion with a shelter and school. I got priority and saw power back in 24 hours. People out on branches that have no priroity power needs, like housing developments along undeveloped outer areas, they went 7+ days without power (again this was a cat 1+ only for our area). BE PREPARED FOR EXTENDED POWER OUTAGE. If you haven't been through extended power outage, the first day or two is liveable but it gets hard thereafter. Be prepared to cook on a grill with canned and boxed food, cool yourself from the heat, occupy your time, to bath without hot water, no laundry except by hand, and little to no fresh food replenishment (the grocery store shelves were bare of fresh foods for days), little to no gasoline possibilities. It probably wont get that bad but you'll be SERIOUSLY happy if it is and you're prepared.

just curious...what did the native americans do before we came here with our interstellar angst?

yes, visitors are on the East side, looking into the late afternoon sun.

I'm sitting opposite, sun at my back. Never been there but from pics I've seen, there doesn't appear to be much shade or shelter from rain
Bud Zone.

Florence has thankfully been downgraded to a cat 2, but still will bring historic rainfall.

Thoughts and prayers to everyone out there in the Carolinas. Let's hope for the best.

just curious...what did the native americans do before we came here with our interstellar angst?
They grabbed them Buffalo Gals and danced by the light of the moon, old Timer.

Lmao, the alarmist national news outlets strike again. I’ve seen reports calling this the “storm of a lifetime” and it’s now a Cat 2 at landfall. Just get out of coastal areas that flood easily and stay inside your house and you’ll be fine. And expect to be without power for a week or two. Don’t like that? Maybe you should have gotten up off your ass and bought a generator.

Some tips:
  1. Let those morons still on isolated, coastal islands either figure it out for themselves or die. Don’t waste the lives of rescuers. Those people had plenty of time and notice to evacuate. They didn’t. They made their beds and now it’s time to sleep in them.
  2. Come to grips that you’ll be without power. As someone that worked for a utility while he was in school, they restore power in this order: government/hospitals/police/fire and rescue, business areas, then the transformers and circuits that will restore the most amount of residential dwellings in one shot. So if you live in the middle of nowhere with no neighbors for a couple of miles, you won’t be getting power back for a while. You’re the lowest priority. Don’t like it? Don’t live there. Hopefully you have a generator and money for gas. On that note...
  3. Don’t bother the poor utility linemen when they’re working in your area. Those poor bastards are pulling down 12-16 hour days everyday until everyone is back up and running. They’re away from their families, exhausted, and working in an extremely dangerous situation. They have no clue when you’ll be back on. It’s a stupid ****ing question and you’ll be looked at as a moron. And rightfully so. The time they have to take to answer a stupid question from some asswipe in a Van Halen t-shirt, jean shorts, and white Reebok’s is time that they’re not spending restoring power. On that note, don’t call in and ask how much more time it will take. Those poor souls are working the same schedule as the linemen and legitimately have no idea whatsoever how long it will take. If they quote you a timetable, add 48 hours at least to it.
  4. If you were stupid enough to buy a freezer full of meat with a massive hurricane churning off the Atlantic, you’re an idiot. The city/county/state/FEMA will not reimburse you for this no matter how much you cry and complain. Grill it in the immediate aftermath of the storm. That portly fellow that you call a wife? Keep her stomach full. God knows she’s going to make your life even more miserable than usual since she’s probably in menopause and hot. Don’t let that pig be hungry on top of that. After you finish off your meat, work your way down to dry goods. If you’re a vegan and don’t eat meat, then you win out here because you don’t have to spend your time grilling it. Congrats, you effeminate nancyboy.
Those of you that are in the storm’s path, stay safe. A 2 is not that bad at all. Just stay inside, ride it out, and check back in when you can.

We were once without power for an extended period of time, after a storm. I didn't want to be "that guy" by calling to ask, and getting through on the phone was impossible anyway, so I let it be. After a few days, however, I was curious, so I drove to the local electric utility and asked. They said my power had been on for three days. I suggested otherwise. When the crew came out, they realized that they just overlooked our little dead end street. They simply climbed a pole, did something that took 2 minutes, and we had power again.

Who knows how long it would have been if I'd kept quiet.

The storm is weakening.

This is why people dont leave. Weeks of preaching Armageddon and the end of the world as we know it, then the storm is a category popcorn fart.

We were once without power for an extended period of time, after a storm. I didn't want to be "that guy" by calling to ask, and getting through on the phone was impossible anyway, so I let it be. After a few days, however, I was curious, so I drove to the local electric utility and asked. They said my power had been on for three days. I suggested otherwise. When the crew came out, they realized that they just overlooked our little dead end street. They simply climbed a pole, did something that took 2 minutes, and we had power again.

Who knows how long it would have been if I'd kept quiet.

How long ago was that? Utilities now have command centers with a massive screen that shows their entire grid and digital transformers/circuits that are not operational.

The storm is weakening.

This is why people dont leave. Weeks of preaching Armageddon and the end of the world as we know it, then the storm is a category popcorn fart.

That's the way it usually happens. The news stirs everyone up into an absolute frenzy as the storm of a lifetime approaches with nothing but death and destruction in its wake and everyone is probably going to die. Then it significantly weakens before it makes landfall.

That's the way it usually happens. The news stirs everyone up into an absolute frenzy as the storm of a lifetime approaches with nothing but death and destruction in its wake and everyone is probably going to die. Then it significantly weakens before it makes landfall.

People here are all worked up and we are 1000 miles inland.

Non stop coverage and If its not bad weather here, these TV stations drive to the where the big storm is before its over.

Grocery stores and gas stations love them some media hype here in the Triangle. Stay safe anyone south and east of me.

Yup, meteorologists (a week ago) knew that it would weaken before it hit land but you can't say that to people (small % that it could change) because they won't leave and you'll have a bunch of NC drowned retirees and used car dealers. See Hurricane Sandy, Category 1.

Yup, meteorologists (a week ago) knew that it would weaken before it hit land but you can't say that to people (small % that it could change) because they won't leave and you'll have a bunch of NC drowned retirees and used car dealers. See Hurricane Sandy, Category 1.

That's true, but you don't have to act like there is fire and brimstone coming either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents