PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Solution at WR

Status
Not open for further replies.
There looks to me a lot of value in the draft at WR where the Patriot have 5 picks.

If someone they really like is there in round 1 maybe they make the pick otherwise I could see them taking too WRs in the middle rounds to compete against the veteran scrubs... baring some sort of mid season trade it is what it is.

Hannable on WEEI thought the Pats might target a trade for a WR in the last year of his contract with a rebuilding team...

...specifically, AJ Green.

Someone on the sports hub suggested Sanu. Not familiar with who is on Sat afternoon.

God I WISH I was smart enough to be able to read and understand Masslost's OP.

Hannable on WEEI thought the Pats might target a trade for a WR in the last year of his contract with a rebuilding team...

...specifically, AJ Green.

At least we finally know who started the ridiculous idea of Cincy giving up their #1 player to the team who has been to the SB in 4/5 past years. And here I thought it was just an optimistic poster on the forum.

At least we finally know who started the ridiculous idea of Cincy giving up their #1 player to the team who has been to the SB in 4/5 past years. And here I thought it was just an optimistic poster on the forum.

Hannable?? The best way to be successful in the sportstalk radio business is to be as controversial as possible..

This is the same dude who ranted and raved about #12 spending time with his family after the SB loss to the Eagles.. more of his "lectures" are available if you look hard enough.

My plan would be to:

- Sign some more bargain bin WR's in FA and overload the position.

- Draft 2-3 rookies...one in the 1st/2nd....and the next 2 in the late rounds.

- Go through OTA's and mini-camps....

- If we don't like what we see, make a trade during training camp...(e.g. trade our 2020 2nd and use our three 3's in '20 to trade back into the 2nd)

- If we don't make a trade, wait until the trading deadline where there has to be a bargain.... (e.g. 8 games of A.J. Green for a 3rd with the Bengals being 0-5 or something)

The only change that I would make is that we draft a WR in the 1st, 2nd OR 3rd round.

My plan would be to:

- If we don't like what we see, make a trade during training camp...(e.g. trade our 2020 2nd and use our three 3's in '20 to trade back into the 2nd)

- If we don't make a trade, wait until the trading deadline where there has to be a bargain.... (e.g. 8 games of A.J. Green for a 3rd with the Bengals being 0-5 or something)

I really like David Sills WVU if the kid is there take him. He is a TD machine

My plan would be to:

I would say first on the list should be looking for a trade. There are many WRs out there that are much cheaper on their current contract than guys who are not nearly as good that just signed FA contracts.
The cooks trade was a good example. They got him extremely cheaply then flipped the pick and got the 1 back.

I’ll give you my first for your good player and next years first is about the best trade you can make.

An AJ Green trade would be nice.

Here is how it looks if they draft. I looked over the WRs taken in the top 2 rounds the last 3 years.

In 2018 the top 3 WRs Moore (24), Ridley (26) and Sutton (40) all had good impact years for rookies. All 3 managed over 700 yards and look to have bright futures. I don't think any of those teams regret those picks. To end the 2nd round you have guys like Washington, Clark, Pettis, Kirk and Miller. Pettis, Kirk and Miller look promising but who knows really.

in 2017 5 WRs were taken in the top 40 Davis (5), Williams (7), Ross (9), Jones (37) and Samuel (40). Davis, Williams, Jones and Samuel all had a good to decent year 2 averaging what would be about 600+ yards over 16 games (if they all played for that amount) but their first years were not helpful. At 62 you have a guy like Juju Smith who was the best in the class but also a bit of a knucklehead.

Go one more year back and you see the top 40 as a much less safe proposition. 2 of the 5 busted out (Corey Coleman and Laquon Treadmill) while Fuller, Doctson and Shepard are a mixed bag of success. Of course you have guys like Michael Thomas at pick 47 as well with Bust Tyler Boyd not soon after

Oh the whole you are unlikely to get much help early from a drafted WR. Something odd I noticed is the biggest hits recently in the draft have been WRs taken a bit later like Kupp (3rd) Juju and Thomas (2nd). There hasn't been a 1st round WR really break out in a while. Cooper arguably but he has been hit or miss at times and lacked consistency.. Maybe he will find some in Dallas. Besides him you need to go back to the 2014 draft were Evens, Beckham and Cook were picked. Then again that was probably the best overall draft of the 2010s in general. The Pats of course missed somehow in the first anyway : P

The only change that I would make is that we draft a WR in the 1st, 2nd OR 3rd round.

This. Draft a WR in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th OR 8th round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents