PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Stock up and stock down

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Up:
“I am a Patriot for life”:crying:
Defense. A++ Pass coverage, pass rush
Offensive game planning and adjustments.
Pass blocking with Zeke helping out.
Most and maybe all the rookies contributed.
Baringer. Can’t say I’m going to miss those 25 yard punts from last season.

The passing game itself was a mixed bag but I’ll lean up because they did all right considering they were getting almost literally nothing in the run game. Eagles knew what was coming and still had trouble stopping the middle of the field from being exploited.

Down:
Wish they would have given the GOAT his red jacket right there and retired his number. I know halftime isn’t much time for an extended goodbye and thank you but maybe do that before or after the game?
Run blocking.
Some of BB's in game decisions.
BB's presser explaining these decisions.
Marcus Jones. Fair catch those man.
Juju.
A couple of bad penalties one that erased a Mac 2PC that would have put them within 3.
Kick coverage… meh

Last edited:
The team didn’t quit and looked like they made legit adjustments in the second half that benefitted them greatly. Can’t hate on that. Mac is a borderline starter/backup and that’s it and I’m sure that’s all he’ll ever be.

Issue was week 1 in the NFL couldn’t have looked any more like a glorified preseason game. What a dumpster fire all over the place.

Lol what the hell was up with that bell? Seemed pretty half assed.
Big tower
Tiny bell

What's Kraft been working on with his therapist?

Stock down: JuJu.

It was one game but he played less snaps than the rookies and didn’t make much of any opportunities he got. A bad drop and body language. Really concerning. It stings additionally with Jakobi Meyers having a great debut in Vegas. That could look like a horrible decision to swap Meyers for JuJu.

Jakobi could have a 80-90 catch year.

Last edited:
Stock down: JuJu.

It was one game but he played less snaps than the rookies and didn’t make much of any opportunities he got. A bad drop and body language. Really concerning. It stings additionally with Jakobi Meyers having a great debut in Vegas. That could look like a horrible decision to swap Meyers for JuJu.

Jakobi could have a 80-90 catch year.
I get the decision and I kind of like upgrading to a guy with YAC ability like Juju.

Sunday's game was not what we signed up for.

I'm a numbers guy

This is what I said earlier. Mac needs to win these close games and so far he just can't. This isn't a small sample size and so many games in the NFL come down to a play or two and Mac never seems to capitalize. How many chances did he have down the stretch to lead a game winning touchdown drive Sunday? I think what 3 in the 4th quarter?

I get the decision and I kind of like upgrading to a guy with YAC ability like Juju.

Sunday's game was not what we signed up for.
I was told on here what an upgrade Juju would be over Jakobi but I didn't really see if then and I certainly don't see it now. Jakobi is no Randy Moss but he is a guy who Mac trusted and put up solid numbers in this offense and still had some upside. Juju has a lot of miles on him for a 28 year old and has had multiple injuries and so far this summer and week 1 he doesn't look like he runs well anymore. I don't know what happened last season in that locker room but a lot of Mac's allies last year are gone and I can't help but think to some extent jettisoning guys who disagree with you flies in the face of "doing what's best for the team".

This is what I said earlier. Mac needs to win these close games and so far he just can't. This isn't a small sample size and so many games in the NFL come down to a play or two and Mac never seems to capitalize. How many chances did he have down the stretch to lead a game winning touchdown drive Sunday? I think what 3 in the 4th quarter?
I think that's right. Until Mac can push the team over the top when games are tight, he's probably not really shown that he's worthy of "franchise QB" status. We are probably spoiled a bit, after years of kind of assuming Tom would accomplish that, which he did with shocking regularity, but a franchise qb has to be able to accomplish those feats at least at a reasonable clip. If not, it's just Ryan Tannehill all over again.

I think that's right. Until Mac can push the team over the top when games are tight, he's probably not really shown that he's worthy of "franchise QB" status. We are probably spoiled a bit, after years of kind of assuming Tom would accomplish that, which he did with shocking regularity, but a franchise qb has to be able to accomplish those feats at least at a reasonable clip. If not, it's just Ryan Tannehill all over again.
At least Tannehill has a fairly decent list of 4th Q comebacks or game winning drives in his career (5 during 1st 2 years - including 1 against the Pats in 2013). Mac just has the 1 in 2+ years. At this point, it's getting more difficult to justify it as a statistical anomaly. There are consistent mental errors happening in 2 minute drill (ish) situations. I'm hoping with BOB's offense and trust in the line, this'll change this year.

Too many putting Boutte in the Down column.

He is a 6th rounder, who was a flyer with high upside. He was on the field above an overpaid (horrible swap for Meyers), and was getting open and catching the ball in clutch moments - just had 2 very close, high-difficulty, toe-drag fails. It's a first game. He looks very capable though.
And, with Parker out, he was the go-to X receiver. That shows competence. Those 2 plays are what the best of the best make look routine, but are not. He will learn and grow, and I expect some big plays from him sooner than later.

He is a 6th rounder, who was a flyer with high upside. He was on the field above an overpaid (horrible swap for Meyers), and was getting open and catching the ball in clutch moments - just had 2 very close, high-difficulty, toe-drag fails. It's a first game. He looks very capable though.
And, with Parker out, he was the go-to X receiver. That shows competence. Those 2 plays are what the best of the best make look routine, but are not. He will learn and grow, and I expect some big plays from him sooner than later.
I agree. His failures were within a very narrow range: he needs to learn to get his feet down. Seems like an eminently fixable problem, certainly for a guy picked as late as he was.

Yeah according to some this entire loss was Boutte's fault for not getting his foot down.

Up: OL with 2 rookies, Bourne, Peppers ( he was everywhere on the field ), White is a monster, Gonzalez a very smart and intelligent during the game, Bentley ( from no one to quite good LB ),Mac - he is not a candidate for an elite QB but he showed he can make some good decisions and run the team as a leader. Enough for me.

Down- JSS ( invisible but it is only one game ), Uche ( I expected him to be a focal point of our defense but saw him only in few actions ).

Yeah according to some this entire loss was Boutte's fault for not getting his foot down.
He run-blocks better than Parker and seems to get more seperation.

He run-blocks better than Parker and seems to get more seperation.
He was open, he caught the ball. Even if he got both feet down, he would have landed hard and maybe lost the ball. If the ball got there on step earlier it was gold. I was encouraged by his performance. I don't think JuJu was slated for X so he was more in competition for playing time with Douglas and Bourne. Who would we take off the field. Maybe neither and we didn't.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back